Reseting Odometer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
County: Queensland
Reseting Odometer

Hi Guys, My 06 147 selespeed odometer is flashing and I just cannot reset it. Any Clues please.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

The 147 along with other Alfas has CAN bus electrics, if a system does not respond or function properly when the computer performs a 'systems check' the odometer flashes. I had this problem a few weeks after buying the car and it turned out to be a failing battery. However, this symptom was present when I had a faulty number plate light so it can be that vague. You may see the term 'proxy alignment' associated with this problem, have a search on the forum for this. I can say that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes solves the problem but this is only temporary until you can locate the fault.

These threads may be useful.

147 Sport Q2: Autolusso Remap + Swirl Flap & EGR Delete, Mocal Oil Cooler Kit, JTD Performance FMIC Kit + High Flow Elbow, Wizard Downpipe, PF Pads + 5.1 Fluid, Autolusso Braided Brake Lines, MTech Short-Shifter, Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose, Refurbed Q2's + Some to add later.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Yes essentially it is a CANBUS error.

CANBUS is a data line communication system that a lot of modern cars employ - essentially allowing all the different components of the car to communicate with each other to form one larger electronic network, rather than just having different parts of the car doing their own thing.

The flashing odometer tends to mean that something is out of 'alignment' so either you've changed a part and not 'introduced' it to the system, or potentially a part has failed.

As said above, a failing battery can mean elements of the system show a lower voltage that the system is not expecting and produce phantom errors.

As noted above if you have or do replace and element or 'node' (a component forming part of the CANBUS network) in the system you need to officially introduce it to the system - this is known as proxy alignment. As all the elements of the system are coded to each other introducing a new 'virgin' part or a second hand part coded to a different system will cause the flashing due to an error in the system, as there is an unfamiliar part present. Proxy alignment is the manner in which you recode and introduce parts to the system. Its the electronic CANBUS equivalent of calling a team meeting and will integrate the new component to the system.

I believe this is possible to achieve with a laptop, right sort of data cable and MultiECUScan these days.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
AO Platinum Member
You'll need an ELM type cable and a registered copy of FiatECUScan/MultiECUScan on a Windows laptop.
AO Member
Anybody know how to flip the odometer from miles to kilometres.. Out their I know, but I suspect it's a flag somewhere.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
Thank you all, I have checked the battery and it's on the way out so will renew it next week, Queens bday w/e here, thanks again,
Sewitrite, (Robert)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

odometer , reseting