New 147 JTD Owner - Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear
Help New 147 JTD Owner - Problem

Hey everyone,

Just got myself a 55 plate 147 1.9 JTD 8v in black with 65k miles on it.

Paid 3000 for it from a local dealer. The car is really smart inside and out, it drives absolutely fine, however, started her up this morning after a cool night and it belched out a fair amount of blue smoke which is worrying me. I have a 3 month warranty from the garage and phoned them straight away to report this and he has asked me to take it back so they can keep it over night to test it in the morning as they are fitting a new wing mirror for me anyway

Now I'm just wondering what could be the problem, the temp sensor in the mirror is currently disconnected as they are waiting for the new mirror to come to fit it. Currently I get a glow plug warning when I start her up but the dealer did say this would happen while the sensor is disconnected as the engine isn't getting any temperature to work with. Could this feasibly be causing blue smoke on start up? It didn't happen for the first two days after I got her home.

If she is sitting at idle and I take the revs up hard it definitely is kicking out a small stream of blue smoke too but driving her power is good all the way through the band and she pulls well in 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Any advice would be brilliant because I really don't want to have to hand her back. I love this car.

Cheers everyone,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

its a diesel, it will smoke
the mirror temp sensor is nothing to do with the engine in any way

prolly needs a good Italian tune up = thrash it up the motorway
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Diesels smoke but shouldn't be blue. Black is incomplete combustion and is OK (within reason). Blue means its burning oil which may be a worn engine or leaky turbo seals.

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear
Have been thrashing it non stop since I bought it tbh. Its fine while driving. Have noticed a whistle from the turbo which is quite audible though.

I'm hoping I haven't bought a dud. The Guy at the garage said the glow plug warning will come on as theyve disconnected the temp sensor though. It wasnt on a week before I picked it up on the test drive. Anyway they're going to check it out when I take it to get the new mirror fitted. Fingers crossed it's not the turbo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , jtd , owner , problem