key saga / shocks question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-07 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 59
County: Memphis

Member car:

A galleon

key saga / shocks question

Posted something a while back about how my car was having an intermittent starting "issue" - well it went away on it's own so I decided to postpone buying a spare key at 133....

over Christmas (perfect) it had a few instances of the problem occurring again....but always started (though sometimes after over a dozen attempts) I'm touting for a key again.......

Lyles in Newcastle have advised "This problem is usually caused by the code reader on the car failing to read the information from the key or it can be related to poor battery voltage. Battery voltage is very critical to the operation of the system."

The first part sounds baaaad and expensive (suggesting that the 133 might be a waste of cash). The second part suggests that I should check the battery (only 3 years old mind). Fingers crossed.

p.s. back passenger side has developed a "rumble" over uneven surfaces..............shocks gone?
Sponsored Links
Re: key saga / shocks question

The 'rumble' on uneven surfaces could be as simple as the tyre worn down to the tread wear indicator, a raised bar that runs right across and through the tread at intervals.

Or a rear wheel bearing. To test for play jack that corner up, grip the tyre at both 'six-o-clock' and then 'quarter to three' and try to rock it, as in make it wobble. Then spin the wheel to check for rumbling.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Hi Steve,

I had an issue starting a while back. It was nowt to do with the key, but in fact was something to do with the fusebox, i.e. the wires needed tyightening back up. The mechanic at my local Alfa garage did the job for me and informed me that its quite a common problem and hes had to do it to loads of Alfa's.

If you want to check, switch your headlights on and have a play with the wires going into box near the back of the engine bay. The lights will flicker or dull down if I'm right. Thats what mine did!
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

pop into kwikfit or ats and ask them to do there free battery health check... easiest thing to rule out and its FREE! the alfas are VERY fussy when it comes to battery condition.

rumble does sound more likely tyre or bearing related than shocks. bearings tend to rumble constantly when they are shot so id be checking the tyre as tom suggested.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.5

The code system can be sensitive to battery voltage. Also sometimes the aerial around the ignition switch fails or comes loose from the code box.

To investigate, remove the cover from bottom of steering wheel and you will see aerial around switch. Then follow the wire back to behind the fusbox and the other end goes to the code box. A brand new aerial is about £15 iirc.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

I was having problems with the'code' light preventing the engine from starting, and decided to look for the code box to check the connections, but there was so much 'spaghetti' when I got the cover off I was scared I might make things worse if I delved in there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

key , question , saga , shocks