to rev or not to rev??? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: to rev or not to rev???

I usually change gear at around 3000-4000 on my QV when pootling and around 6500 when going for it. It does have a fair bit of torque so you can slog it in a higher gear if you wish though.
My car is chipped and the limiter is not aroun 7,800 rpm, but as the power drops off at around 6750 there is no need to rev it that much.
My car doesn't use much oil either btw, and is running 5w-40 fully synthetic.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kabul

yes I also like to rev, I'm not sure but I think the last owner has modified the air box as I'm sure it doesn't sound like another 2.0L I've test drove. I also think this engine is better on high octane as I get better millage and lower oil consumption too .
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

I'm quite happy to take the wife's 1.8 TS up to 7000. Basically you should feel when the car isn't pulling a well as it would do in the next gear and change up. As has been said, they're pretty gutless low down. Even the wife moans that it only really does the business for her between 5000 and 7000!

Incidentally, I believe the loads on the cam belt are greatest at idle rather than high revs.
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

interesting (random) fact for ya... in the first 3 months of owning my 147 the redline was hit a whopping 107 times... the ECU keeps a count! next time your in your local garage connected up to the examiner kit ask the technician to check for ya, bit of alaugh if anything.

ok, as for driving... when shes cold she stays below 4000rpm but once warmed up it really depends on how straight or how long the road is as to how far she gets pushed, the twinsparks really do come to life at the higher rev ranges (the 2.0 doesnt open up fully till 5000rpm when the switching manifold kicks in)... so yeah, push her to the limits every so often, does the engine good, reminds it what it is to live!

my mothers car wont redline until either 10 or 12k and its only a 660cc turbocharged shoebox... she rarely takes it past 4k! complete waste so me and the old man take it out every so often
AO Silver Member

I've regularly (probably a few times on each journey, sometimes a lot more!) taken every car I've ever owned to just before the redline on gearchanges, in all gears, though I've only actually hit the limiter a handful of times, ever. Change up just before for a smoother drive! On a properly maintained and warmed-up car, using decent synthetic oil, it is no problem - modern engines can handle being run at the redline for many thousands of miles and are tested in this way. I have never had an engine-wear related reliability issue in any of my cars. Some sensitivity with clutch and gearbox is needed to not damage the drivetrain, but the engine should be fine.

The 2.5 V6 156 I had was the smoothest revving car I've driven, and when pressing on all gearchanges were at 7000rpm. After 90,000 miles of such treatment the engine was better than ever and using less and less oil, it was just running in when I sold it. Don't worry!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT