Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 612 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-)

Well its been like finding an old friend. But a new experience, also as my cloverleaf 170 is slightly different to my old modded 2004 jtd GT.

First impressions are the car feels its 30k mileage, tight, rattle free, like a new car. So am well chuffed. I have the blue and me system which is a great feature i never had in my old Gt. Although not being able to use my ipod is a pain in the arse. I have ordered the ipod connector to connect my ipod and into the glovebox, and hope i can do this with the uprated newer unit?

Going back to a standard chassis'd GT is a bitter pill to swallow, my god i had forgotten how the standard car is a bit rolly polly without a decent set of eibach ARB's and decent suspension..

No worries as this was always the plan to upgrade the chassis.

Also the car feels a lot slower than my old mapped GT..The 170bhp is not that impressive..So really the button is a bit of a waste of money, if you will map the car anyhow. I was half hoping it would be enough for a while saving me a bit of money in remaps? But again no worries as i always intended to map.

Have not had a chance to really push the car hard due to the standard suspension being a bit rolly polly, so have not experienced properly the magic of the q2 yet. I am sure i will when i get her chassis sorted and can derive confidence in the chassis to drive her like i used to my old GT.

One noticeable difference from my old GT is how lovely the gear change is in my clover. My old box/ clutch must have been on its way out, because the difference is night and day.

Have ordered a few parts from alfa to get her looking as she left the factory...front satin whiskers and a new little clover boot badge, oh and the all important clutch pedal clip. Can you tell i've owned a Gt before..lol
Also have plans to have the wheels refurbished, in porsche silver with diamond cut outer rim. Should look class against her black paintwork. have already bagged a cheap set of GT 16's off ebay for when i have them done, and to use in the winter. :-)

Made a start at machine polishing her black paintwork a few days ago, and she is coming up beautifully. My aim is to make her show standard. I tend to do this with all of my cars, and my lovely new Clover wont be and exception.

Hoping to make some Alfa meets this summer, and to meet a few of you all along the way.

Regards
Damien.
SCGT and pistonrod like this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Welcome back looking forward to reading your progress thread. Are you a detailing world regular too?
(Post Link) post #3 of 612 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISAJTD View Post
Welcome back looking forward to reading your progress thread. Are you a detailing world regular too?
Thanks for that LISAJTD. Not a regular on detailing world. Might have to sign up. I have only started the art properly in the last 6 months. But the difference to my paint was staggering. Really hope i can slowly get sooty back to her best. Great we have the summer now so i can get her up to a decent standard. Will post some pictures soon.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Good stuff , Can't wait to see some pics .
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1299
County: West Midlands
(Post Link) post #6 of 612 Old 04-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So continuing to make headway in detailing the car. Its coming up nicely. Must be honest Alfa paint quality is not the same as my last audi. Just means i have to take it easy with the DA polisher. No worries. :-) Its been a pleasure polishing her beautiful curves.

Received my new satin whiskers yesterday. So will be fitting them soon.

Also ordered some new wheel centre's from Italy. think they will look awesome with my clover's black paint.

I eventually have ideas of having my wheels refurbished..in a Porsche silver and diamond cut outer lip. Also bbs stainless valve stems.
First things first though, suspension and basic service items.:-) You got to walk before you can run.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel centres.JPG (78.2 KB, 71 views)
Guili and matthewanders82 like this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 612 Old 05-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Bit more detailing today. Also cleaned her leather interior. All looking brand new.

Also ordered my first chassis mod for her today, an Eibach ARB kit. And spoke to Ned about the way to go with suspension. Exiting times. Funny as this time round i know what to expect, having done this all before 3 years ago. ARB's and decent suspension setup absolutely transforms the GT. Cannot wait to get there again.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sooty shine.jpg (118.7 KB, 139 views)
jack1234 and pistonrod like this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Looks stunning!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

what suspension mod did you have fitted last time around?
(Post Link) post #10 of 612 Old 05-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Looks stunning!
Thanks mate.. She is coming along. She was a good car to begin with but im a bit ocd about my machines..can you tell..lol. So now she is up to my clean standards.

t3yls last time round i went for FSD's and eibach springs with eibach ARB's. Must admit it was far superior to the oem setup i had.

But i think things have come on since then, and there are better options today for the GT. What Ned was discussing today on the phone sounded very interesting indeed, which i think is the answer. And then there is always the KW sport kit which gives the car great stance and ride quality. Will keep you posted on my developments.

Damien.
FLYINS likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 612 Old 05-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So managed to fit Sooty's oem plastic headlamp protectors today. Had to gently pry back the tip edges of the wings to get the brackets behind. But managed in the end. I had them from my old GT along with a few other items... Secretly knew i would be back to Gt ownership one day.. Gives the front a more detailed sexy look as well as protecting the precious dark headlamps. Had to include some "bertone" design curves..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clean clover.jpg (110.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg bertone curves.jpg (70.5 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 05-06-14 at 22:36.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I thought thats what combo (eibach/fsd) you went for. I thought you were a bit underwhelmed with them initially ...maybe someone else i'm thinking of??

whats the latest options? I rarely read about anyone modding the suspension on GTs now, at least on here.

Cloverleaf looks great btw. Is it already a bit lower than the non-clover versions?
(Post Link) post #13 of 612 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
I thought thats what combo (eibach/fsd) you went for. I thought you were a bit underwhelmed with them initially ...maybe someone else i'm thinking of??

whats the latest options? I rarely read about anyone modding the suspension on GTs now, at least on here.

Cloverleaf looks great btw. Is it already a bit lower than the non-clover versions?
That is correct, it was only when i fitted the eibach ARB kit that complimented the FSD/ eibach's that things really got interesting.

I am surprised no one mods the standard suspension on the GT, its such a necessary upgrade. The standard suspension is figity... My clover 170 does not seem lower than the average GT.. Looking forward to a lower centre of gravity soon.

Damien.
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Hi Damien
Where did you get the whiskers from and how much were they?
BTW your car sounds really nice -congratulations !!
Cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
BTW your car sounds really nice -congratulations !!
Cheers
I take it you don't mean 'sound' as in noise
Sorry Damien, had to get that one in, your car is looking way too good. I might even polish mine today, hell, i might even drive it!
(Post Link) post #16 of 612 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
I take it you don't mean 'sound' as in noise
Sorry Damien, had to get that one in, your car is looking way too good. I might even polish mine today, hell, i might even drive it!
Oi cheeky Al.. lol

Yes she is back to factory shiny now. Need to get her wheels properly refurbished. They are not curbed...just that veloces decided to rattle can silver the wheels... So i have an un lacquered finish..

Lucky i have a set of 16's in the garage i can put on her while i have them done. Although they will have to wait until i have sorted the chassis.

spitfire...the whiskers are oem came on my clover. I still have the new ones in boxes upstairs in my office. Might ask Ned kindly if he can fit them when im up there soon.

Damien.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 06-06-14 at 16:52.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Hurry up and get the chassis done, it's as bad waiting to see what you're gonna get as waiting a week for G.O.T. or 24.
(Post Link) post #18 of 612 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Hurry up and get the chassis done, it's as bad waiting to see what you're gonna get as waiting a week for G.O.T. or 24.
Patience Al patience.. lol. As you well know yourself getting the chassis right is so important, these things take great research.. Hoping to go to Autolusso week after next crazy job permitting, and ARB kit arriving.

Damien.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Where did you get the ARB kit from and does it cost much to fit? I already have Q2/B14's so would make a nice compliment. Will you bother with a strut brace?
(Post Link) post #20 of 612 Old 06-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Hi Chris

The ARB kit transforms the GT, you already have the other chassis ingredients for greatness. The ARB kit sharpens the steering and balance of chassis, and disperses the under steer. I had the fsd's and eibach's fitted before the bars on my last Gt and the bars transformed the handling.

Buying and fitting them is not cheap, but well worth it for the improvement. I had to get mine from demon tweeks in the end as no one had them in stock.

At what height have you adjusted your Billy's for all round comfort and performance?

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

I was thinking about Eibach ARBs and the best price I found is from Autolusso. Still, it's north of 300 quid and I object to spending that amount of money for two bent steel rods.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Sooty looks lovely mate!! I love Black but cant be bothered to clean it all the time!! I had Eibach Springs+ARBs on my VW Golf VR6 Highline and they transformed the stodgy handling. I have lowered it about 45mm all round so there is about a 10mm gap between the wheel arch and tyre. Any lower and would not be able to go over speed bumps, ride is actually pretty good considering. Although I'm not very happy with my rear struts as they need a rebuild after only 12k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (174.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (190.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (166.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 061.jpg (177.6 KB, 173 views)
FLYINS likes this.

Last edited by GT-Chris; 07-06-14 at 09:27.
(Post Link) post #23 of 612 Old 07-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Chris View Post
Sooty looks lovely mate!! I love Black but cant be bothered to clean it all the time!! I had Eibach Springs+ARBs on my VW Golf VR6 Highline and they transformed the stodgy handling. I have lowered it about 45mm all round so there is about a 10mm gap between the wheel arch and tyre. Any lower and would not be able to go over speed bumps, ride is actually pretty good considering. Although I'm not very happy with my rear struts as they need a rebuild after only 12k
Chris your Gt looks absolutely stunning. Stance is spot on.

I had b16 pss9's on my last car and same happened to me, they need refurbishing after 15k... I swore after that i would never touch bilstein again. I am slightly concerned about having coilovers fitted to my Clover to be honest. I am hoping due to the slightly different design of the shock the eibach pro kit wont give me the grief my bilstein's did?
My second choice is a KW sports kit. Better ride quality than an fsd with eibach spring, and also the car sits a bit better. Its important i get the right stance as well as dynamics and ride comfort. Not always an easy task.

Damien.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Chris View Post
That is one we imported new any Alfa with a KX number plate is one we imported

Ned
(Post Link) post #25 of 612 Old 07-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
That is one we imported new any Alfa with a KX number plate is one we imported

Ned
Nice one Ned

Also she has winter pack heated seats and headlamp washers...Well jealous..Lovely car.

You had her long Chris?

Damien.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year