Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Thanks guys.

I am going to have to have a look into the issue Pud? After what i said before, i cannot see why the discs would move on the hub without the hex bolt when the wheel is bolted on? The vibration seems to have gone now the spacers are off and bolt back in place?

Damien.
Try it without the bolt & without the spacers too. That'll tell you if its the missing bolt or the spacers causing your vibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #202 of 612 Old 25-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Try it without the bolt & without the spacers too. That'll tell you if its the missing bolt or the spacers causing your vibration.
Will do cheers Pud..

Damien.
(Post Link) post #203 of 612 Old 02-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Well tried without bolt still the same. So its something else vibrating under there... I can actually feel it through my steering wheel when going over small bumps in the road. I cannot think what it might be? I had 2 new wishbones..New coilovers new ARB's with new bushes? Its driving me nuts. Top mounts perhaps? Surely they were new when the coilovers were fitted. Plus my brakes are squealing like a .

Sometimes the whole suspension setup on the GT gets me down.. Never ending clunks..Will have to get her seen to soon.

Damien.
Fitz750 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Well tried without bolt still the same. So its something else vibrating under there... I can actually feel it through my steering wheel when going over small bumps in the road. I cannot think what it might be? I had 2 new wishbones..New coilovers new ARB's with new bushes? Its driving me nuts. Top mounts perhaps? Surely they were new when the coilovers were fitted. Plus my brakes are squealing like a .

Sometimes the whole suspension setup on the GT gets me down.. Never ending clunks..Will have to get her seen to soon.

Damien.
Sure you've not managed to buckle a wheel somehow? Might be worth getting them rebalanced as weights can fall off also. Failing that sounds like a trip to autolusso for some investigation.
(Post Link) post #205 of 612 Old 02-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Sure you've not managed to buckle a wheel somehow? Might be worth getting them rebalanced as weights can fall off also. Failing that sounds like a trip to autolusso for some investigation.
Thanks James..

Wheels are fine..Its a chassis vibration rattle. Im tired of double guessing now, everything is new. Feels like ARB bushes are shot, but how can they be its only been a year since they were fitted? Need to get back to Autolusso, the brake squeal is embarrassing too. Hopefully going to get the front wheels off tomorrow , jack her up and have a good look at WTF is going on under there.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Well tried without bolt still the same.
No bolt & no spacers at the same time, and it still vibrates?
(Post Link) post #207 of 612 Old 02-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
No bolt & no spacers at the same time, and it still vibrates?
Correct pud.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
You had bottom wishbones changed as well?
(Post Link) post #209 of 612 Old 02-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
You had bottom wishbones changed as well?
Pretty sure they were, but not 100% that could be it. I absolutely hate bloody wishbones.. My second GT and wishbone paranoia has set in again..

Will have a good look tomorrow but i think that may be it. Thanks mate.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Have to admit, they are very fragile, especially with coilovers, I seem to be on a constant cycle of replacing bits.

But when it all comes together you then know why you do it
(Post Link) post #211 of 612 Old 02-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Have to admit, they are very fragile, especially with coilovers, I seem to be on a constant cycle of replacing bits.

But when it all comes together you then know why you do it
lol..Yes the old heart rules the head Alfa disease.. Plus i am far too deep to turn back now.. I need new rear suspension arm poly bushes too.. Need to get some arms to the powdercoaters before the poly bushes go in though..

Damien.
(Post Link) post #212 of 612 Old 05-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So had some more ideas on the direction i want to go with my Gt project.

What i clearly want to achieve is the best power to weight the car can be, without sacrificing too much comfort. I am after an oem factory look, 2 seater GT.

I am still enjoying the difference the rear seat removal has brought to the driving experience and performance of the car. And i think with a few more thoughtful upgrades the power to weight can be improved even more. A full stainless exhaust system should help matters soon too.

I also have been contemplating finding some lightweight sports seats for her. had my eye on some Sabelt Alfa Mito SBK/ QV upgrade seats with carbon backs. After a bit of research they are the same seats that are in the special edition fiat abarth 500's. So maybe there is more chance of finding a set of those then having the Abarth stitched headlining changed. The seats fit directly to the GT seat rails. Or i go with another brand. Will see.

Have made an appointment with a company in Warwickshire to have an alu brace bar made for the rear. Using the now redundant rear seat brackets fixtures. Or a rear roll bar. This has to be discussed. I did find a Japanese company that actually made one that had brackets to fix between the seat brackets, but they have now discontinued the bar. Then have the rear professionally carpeted for a factory look.

I really have a sense of direction with my GT. I hope slowly but surely i can achieve my vision of what i want the car to become.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soot rear.jpg (110.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg net rear.jpg (53.9 KB, 70 views)
Guili likes this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
(Post Link) post #213 of 612 Old 14-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well after some careful research and chats with Dan at wizard exhausts we have come up with a design spec for my GT. (Thanks Dan) We are going to do the system in stages. For the simple reason silencers can be added or not at a later stage if needs be, using a cat delete section of pipe or extra silencer. So cat back for now. Then once we know how it sounds we can design the front section. In the end 2.5 bore was decided and deemed sufficient as 3inch might cause room issues with the pipework catching under the car. At the moment we have deleted the rear box out of the system. It will also give the rear a cleaner look. Twin slash cut staggered Italian style 2.75 bore tailpipes. Really looking forward to this, yet a little apprehensive at the same time. After chatting to Joel at JTD performance in holland and his 2.5bore exhaust system, he says it sounds really nice with a slight Alfa twin spark sound under power. I'd be happy with that. Plus my hybrid turbo should give the exhaust note a slightly lower tone. Anyhow my order is in the manufacturer que, so 4 weeks from now it should be delivered to Autolusso for fitting.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT shiney.jpg (50.3 KB, 34 views)
JS JTD likes this.
(Post Link) post #214 of 612 Old 18-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well finally got round to fitting my new Aluminium undertray. Waited until i gave her a 6k oil service..Had to make a new attachment fixing for the left side rear of the tray, but no problems, really great fit..Love the aerodynamic flowing design. A tad more engine protection and clearance too.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Undertray.jpg (110.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg undertray 1.jpg (84.8 KB, 47 views)
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Please don't tell me you work under your car when it's held up by a suicide jack?!?!
(Post Link) post #216 of 612 Old 18-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Please don't tell me you work under your car when it's held up by a suicide jack?!?!
Absolutely not... I took the axle stands away for the picture..

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Dont know what you're talking about. Bricks work fine. Scousers have used them for years to nick wheels :-)

Underseal the beast next time its up on the ramps. And the subframes too. Will make ut as shiny underneath as it is on top.

Well all know how shoddy the chap in factory is.
joeymannero and FLYINS like this.
(Post Link) post #219 of 612 Old 18-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Dont know what you're talking about. Bricks work fine. Scousers have used them for years to nick wheels :-)

Underseal the beast next time its up on the ramps. And the subframes too. Will make ut as shiny underneath as it is on top.

Well all know how shoddy the chap in factory is.
One of the first things i had done by Autolusso Scotty..She is all protected and gunked up..The rest at the front of the bay i use Krust bloody brilliant stuff.. The rest just gets polished.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
If you start to get a strange noise when you go over 100(only on the autobahn of course) it will be those vents on the back of the new undertray.
Had it on mine and took a while to work out what it was, I slightly bent the front edges down so the airflow was diverted and it stopped it.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #221 of 612 Old 19-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
If you start to get a strange noise when you go over 100(only on the autobahn of course) it will be those vents on the back of the new undertray.
Had it on mine and took a while to work out what it was, I slightly bent the front edges down so the airflow was diverted and it stopped it.
Thanks Paul..
Top tip there...Will have a check..When i am on the autobahn of course..cough cough..

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdelta View Post
iv just driven mine a bit shall we say sportingly, and i see what you mean about body roll.

upgrades ahead i think,

unacceptable in stock form...body Roll is awful!

such a difference when I had the eibach ARB's fitted, went from no-kart to Go-kart! definitely the biggest bang for the Buck in suspension mods. if I had to choose only One handling mod this would be it.

the Quafie is fun too though!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Hey Damien,

just looked at the Pics you posted, the car is looking awesome mate! can't wait to have a blast just to get a sense of what can be achieved...

i'm in with Loz on the 3rd for the Bilstiens and a decat down pipe, will do the lower wishbones whilst i'm at it.

after that i'm ''finished'' with all the works planned on my build bar a good detailing session and of course the monochrome badges for the ''blackleaf'' identity..must admit do like the ali undertray though

so far, Quaife, eibach arb's, swirl flap delete, egr delete and re-map to 200 BHP,bilstien kit and de-cat down pipe, I'm happy with that.

But

I think you have the best GT in the country hands down, if not even further afield.

given the attention to detail that has gone into your build and I have a feeling you will continue to find ways to ring a little bit more out of GT chassis, I look forward to seeing exactly where the car ends up.

good luck and enjoy!, it looks like you are having a lot of fun with it.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Paul..
Top tip there...Will have a check..When i am on the autobahn of course..cough cough..

Damien.
Did the noise only start after the tray was fitted?

I can see an awesome project going on here and like you say you are so far down the road now the only way is carry on
(Post Link) post #225 of 612 Old 19-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
Hey Damien,

just looked at the Pics you posted, the car is looking awesome mate! can't wait to have a blast just to get a sense of what can be achieved...

i'm in with Loz on the 3rd for the Bilstiens and a decat down pipe, will do the lower wishbones whilst i'm at it.

after that i'm ''finished'' with all the works planned on my build bar a good detailing session and of course the monochrome badges for the ''blackleaf'' identity..must admit do like the ali undertray though

so far, Quaife, eibach arb's, swirl flap delete, egr delete and re-map to 200 BHP,bilstien kit and de-cat down pipe, I'm happy with that.

But

I think you have the best GT in the country hands down, if not even further afield.

given the attention to detail that has gone into your build and I have a feeling you will continue to find ways to ring a little bit more out of GT chassis, I look forward to seeing exactly where the car ends up.

good luck and enjoy!, it looks like you are having a lot of fun with it.
Thanks Joe

Long way to go till i have her how i want her. All good though. Hoping to have WMI done in August, that should improve things a bit. Also looking forward to the new exhaust.
I do love where i am at with it. Its one of those cars that makes you want to get out and drive. I am really enjoying the new engine power and turbo. The delivery of power between gear changes is really impressive, the new turbo keeping up spool unlike the old unit. Im lucky my car has a great gearbox, one thing my last GT suffered badly with. Also the new brakes are fantastic, even with the standard pads i have at the moment. Hopefully ferodo ds2500 fitted one day soon. The new vastly improved braking power, really adds to the whole driving experience.

There will always be something to perfect with my project, i love a challenge. Just want to make the car the best it can be, mechanically and aesthetically in every area.

Hope all goes well today Joe. And you have a fun drive home..

Damien.
joeymannero likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year