Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #176 of 612 Old 05-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So busy little productive day in the bat cave..

Decided to attack the job i've been putting off for a while now. Removing the back seat and all its gubbins. So after negotiating all the hidden bolts and seat belt fittings, out came the rear seats..Hmm i thought, the bottom seat cushions are actually not as heavy as i anticipated..Then i came to the back of the seat..erm..What the ??? How heavy is the drivers side split portion of the seat and headrest..Easy 30kg alone, and i am not joking. My GT is now sitting in the garage looking like a "US Gasser"..Rear in the air, i have gained at least an inch of fresh air in the arch. Incredible. Looks like i am going to have to bring the rear coils down quite a bit.
I hope the seat removal and all the weight with it, improves matters, and does not unsteady the chassis handling balance of the car front to rear. Im sure it wont.
Had a good look at the rear seat secure tabs and i could easy have a rear brace bar fitted across with a bracket like my old audi TT QS. The front of the seat area is actually all carpeted which i am happy about. I plan to have a proper carpet made to fit the contours of the whole of the rear area, and a brace bar fitted between my rear suspension turrets probably aluminium finish, which will look nice with my black contrasting body work.
Hopefully going WMI very soon so already thinking where best to fit the tank, i don't want it overly visible, so its going to take a bit of thinking out. Or i will have some sort of jacket made for it so it blends into the cars interior. All in the details.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gt seat delete.jpg (93.9 KB, 39 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Are you going to do without rear seats on a permanent basis then? If so I would mount your water-meth injection tank (and your battery) in place of the rear seats, it adds weight back to where it was removed from and if you do move the battery as well, then that also takes weight from the front which is where it has a greatest beneficial effect.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Are you going to do without rear seats on a permanent basis then? If so I would mount your water-meth injection tank (and your battery) in place of the rear seats, it adds weight back to where it was removed from and if you do move the battery as well, then that also takes weight from the front which is where it has a greatest beneficial effect.
Leaves a load of room up front for a bigger catch-can too

How about the WMI tank in the spare wheel well? Get one of the space-saver kits and tuck that away anywhere you can find some space.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Leaves a load of room up front for a bigger catch-can too

How about the WMI tank in the spare wheel well? Get one of the space-saver kits and tuck that away anywhere you can find some space.
I assumed there was a spare wheel in there

Otherwise, great place for it
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I assumed there was a spare wheel in there

Otherwise, great place for it
As if he needs it, the rate he swaps out his tyres to try all his fancy sizes.... I'd be surprised if he ever had a tyre on long enough to wear more than a millimeter from brand new

Seriously though, are the quick-patch/repair/space-saver kits any good? I'm perfectly happy with the wheel for myself, but as options go that frees up a tonne of space back there!
(Post Link) post #181 of 612 Old 05-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Thanks guys.

The spare wheel "left the building" a long long time ago ,as soon as i had the coilovers fitted. Useless dead weight..

Yes was considering the tank in the wheel well, nicely stealthily hidden away. Will be developing the now bare rear of the car, my aim to try and make it look like how the factory would have made it if she was a 2 seater. But will be doing my homework on interior design aesthetics, and probably fit a alu strut brace across the rear suspension turrets. Make it a feature in the rear.

Pud, i think i will leave the battery where it is for now. But good idea though.

Really looking forward to properly driving her to see if i can feel any difference. I will be shocked if i dont. But i know the torquey diesel hides any weight it carries.

Wound the coils down 2 collar rotations and see how she sits tomorrow. Again so glad i went with a decent coilover setup to bring her down after deleting the weight out the rear of the car.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Poor car.
(Post Link) post #183 of 612 Old 07-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Poor car.
Paddy my car has never been happier...

Took the GT out for a spin tonight to test the new setup. Very interesting. The car feels a bit different but in a really good way. You can really feel the weight loss, the car feels lighter when you throw her into corners and roundabouts. Also i noticed throttle response is most definately improved by the weight loss. Feels more urgent. Negatives are more road noise from the rear of the car..But not intrusive. The lower Eibach coilover height has improved the ride quality. Plus compression recovery in the rear suspension is noticeably faster..Very much unlike my Bilsteins on my qs which hated to go too low, and became bone jarring. So all in all its been a successful mod.

I also ordered my rear strut bar. Same alu finish as my engine strut brace. It will look nice in the rear of the car, and you will be able to see it through the rear screen, so a bit of a feature too.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear alu bar.jpg (15.1 KB, 19 views)
AO Silver Member

Need to lose some weight from the front and restore the balance

and/or add some weight to the rear *cough* spoiler *cough*
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Think the Alfa 147 / 156 and GT were close to 60/40 with a bias to the front.

Moving the battery to the back would be a good start.
Also allows better access to the engine too.
(Post Link) post #186 of 612 Old 07-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

With you guys, but to be honest she feels really nice, remember modified chassis and bars keep her absolutely flat and go cart like anyhow. Moving the battery would not make it possible to go back to oem if ever i need to god forbid. (future rugrats)
I really pushed her hard last night wanting to feel any new characteristics in the rear end, but she just dug in. Even though the chassis sits a little lower than before i have no rubbing at all. Really happy with how she is set up now.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stance new.jpg (67.6 KB, 45 views)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
With you guys, but to be honest she feels really nice, remember modified chassis and bars keep her absolutely flat and go cart like anyhow. Moving the battery would not make it possible to go back to oem if ever i need to god forbid. (future rugrats)
I really pushed her hard last night wanting to feel any new characteristics in the rear end, but she just dug in. Even though the chassis sits a little lower than before i have no rubbing at all. Really happy with how she is set up now.

Damien.
Why couldnt you put back to stock with a rear battery? Only need to run a live from engine bay to new location. Im positve there are nice battery boxes you can buy and no doubt be able to utilise the newly created bolt holes with some luck it fix it down and for your earth lead! If you thought taking the rear seat out improved handling, moving a 15ish kg battery from front to rear will make a much bigger difference.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Exactly. Plus the battery tray can be fobbed off. So you can see the gearbox end of things pretty easily if anything is a miss there.

BMW have been doing it for years to help the balance and they have far more room in the engine bays.

I sodded off the Air con unit and pipe work and it felt different at the front. I'd move the battery too If I could be bothered. (Thing is I can't be bothered modifying things these days. I just want to get in the damn thing and go).

But it would help that balance and thus better grip. Not saying it will be a huge amount but would help.
As you say though you are happy with it how it is then there is little gain I guess.
ALFADOIT likes this.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
Club Member
Membro Premio

I managed to take 45kg out of the engine bay of my last 2.4 JTD and it was transformed. Felt nimble like a Twinspark.
(Post Link) post #190 of 612 Old 14-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well happy days, just got home from my favorite Alfa tuner Autolusso. Really happy with my new 330mm GTA brake kit. Some serious homework was undertaken by Ned and the lads to make the refurbished powdercoated 3.2 struts and GTA kit fit my car. Brand new Alfa 164 steering arms were used to mate up to my late cloverleaf track rod ends and new struts. There were a fair few track rod end lengths etc used during the GT's production lifetime, so it was a case of measuring up and making a setup to suit. I love the attention to detail Ned made in making everything fit lovely. Even titanium bolts were used. The backing shields were powdercoated alfa red, and so were the pipe routing brackets. The lovely new brembo GTA calipers went on with 330mm std GTA discs, and for the moment pads. Will be upgrading the pads very soon as awaiting new stock delivery.
So how do they feel to my cloverleafs stock setup. Ok well have not had enough time yet to tell and drove in a pretty OAP chilled manner on the way home tonight to bed the pads and discs in. But i can feel the pedal feel is so much meatier now, and i don't need to press half as hard to get the car to stop. Looking forward to when i can really stamp on them soon. And then compare the difference with the impending uprated performance friction pads.
And aesthetics..they look so dam sexy behind my smoke chrome cloverleaf wheels. Couldn't be happier with my new upgrade. Big thanks to Ned, and to top techie Craig, taking his time to do a fantastic meticulous job on my GT. Will try and get some behind the wheel shots when i have given her a good clean.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTA B.jpg (31.7 KB, 36 views)
JS JTD, Muskie and Jiberson1 like this.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 18-03-16 at 04:14.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Shiny brakes. Should have better modualtion and braking force generally.
Additional rolling resistance though and slower acceleration. Not enough to warrant you noticing I should imagine.

Still should ahve got a GT V6 and skipped all this ;-)
(Post Link) post #192 of 612 Old 15-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Little wheel pic today after cleaning her..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brembs.jpg (57.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg cloverbrem.jpg (61.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg side brem.jpg (82.3 KB, 38 views)
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Got to love cloverleaf wheels. Favourite bar gta wheels.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
looking good Damien!

am in for swirl flap delete next week at autolusso ., first visit to the bedfordshire one so looking forward to meeting the gents down there.

then its down to Loz in bournmouth the month after for the Bilstein Kit..

the final thing will be 17'' GTA wheels.

my feeling is although they won't look as good as the 18's the handling will be better and with the lowering they will fill the wheel arch enough.

as and when the turbo neds replacing it will be an uprated one of some persuasion.

I will be in Swindon early next month so will drop by if your about that day, be good to see the improvements for myself.

cheers

Joe
(Post Link) post #195 of 612 Old 19-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
looking good Damien!

am in for swirl flap delete next week at autolusso ., first visit to the bedfordshire one so looking forward to meeting the gents down there.

then its down to Loz in bournmouth the month after for the Bilstein Kit..

the final thing will be 17'' GTA wheels.

my feeling is although they won't look as good as the 18's the handling will be better and with the lowering they will fill the wheel arch enough.

as and when the turbo neds replacing it will be an uprated one of some persuasion.

I will be in Swindon early next month so will drop by if your about that day, be good to see the improvements for myself.

cheers

Joe
Hi Joe

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with your new acquisition, fiat coupe. One of the lads at Autolusso beds has a black one.
Good news on the swirl flap delete. Heard too many scary flap stories as of late. Prevention is better than cure as they say. I am sure Ned and the lads at AL will look after you.

The turbo upgrade is really worth it when the time comes. I am hopefully going to have a nice bigger bore exhaust system made soon, to create a little bit more flow, and to be able to hear the engine while giving her the beans. Obviously not expecting too much but a nice throaty growl would be nice.

Let me know when you are around early next month, and hopefully we can catch up for a car chat.

Damien
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soot 1.jpg (125.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg soot 2.jpg (118.3 KB, 25 views)
Autolusso and joeymannero like this.
(Post Link) post #196 of 612 Old 25-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So busy few days working on my GT. Trial fitted my new Weichers rear brace bar yesterday. After carefully removing the carpet and fixtures to get at the bare rear suspension turrets, it soon dawned on me the bar i was sent is not correct for my GT? Bloody frustrating after taking everything apart. Anyhow got a chance to get familiar with my car..lol. Took the rear Bose subwoofer out of the rear boot area, and gave it a good polish and clean. It does not weigh too much, and really adds to the acoustics of the system so i think it will stay.
Today i took the front wheels off. Since fitting my front spacers, and removing the the small brake disc retaining hex nut, so that the spacer will fit flush on. I have been experiencing slight vibrating from the front of the chassis? Which was not there when i left Autolusso after the BBK fitting. I think what is happening is even though the wheel bolts hold the discs in place ,the 5mm spacers are not allowing a perfect seal to the hub and allowing the discs to ever so slightly vibrate? Will find out later on if refitting the hex bolt screw and removing the spacers solves the front mystery vibrating.
This new development means unless my spacers are machined with a hole to accept the proud hex nut, i cannot use spacers which sucks as i had her sitting nicely. Also no way my 19's will fit without the 10mm front spacer and hub ring. So they will have to be sold. I still have my gorgeous Alfa oem Jet fins if i fancy a multispoke. I think the car is happiest on the 18's anyhow. Getting the right offset without spacers on a 19 inch alloy will be very difficult. So i think i will be happy with my 2 sets of 18's. Hopefully in time get the Jet fins refurbished in a darker sultry shadow chrome.
Cannot stop imagining a pair of beautiful lightweight Sabelt SBK reclining carbon seats in my GT now..lol. Will have to be patient as they are as rare as rocking horse poop on the second hand market.
Found a japanese company that actually make a lovely rear carbon interior brace for my GT using the rear now redundant seat fixing brackets. I have sent them an email so hope they get back to me. Or i will have to request a work trip to Japan and hunt them down..lol.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLOS rear brace bar.jpg (55.9 KB, 15 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

The hex bolt is only to locate the disc to the hub when the wheel is off, you can do without it if needs be.
AO Member

County: Limburg
With 5 mm spacers you loose the centering on the hub of the wheel. You need at least 10mm thick spacers that have their own double centering, male/female so to speak.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
So managed to fit Sooty's oem plastic headlamp protectors today. Had to gently pry back the tip edges of the wings to get the brackets behind. But managed in the end. I had them from my old GT along with a few other items... Secretly knew i would be back to Gt ownership one day.. Gives the front a more detailed sexy look as well as protecting the precious dark headlamps. Had to include some "bertone" design curves..

Damien.
That looks gobsmackingly gorgeous. What a finish it's amazing. Lovely, lovely car.
(Post Link) post #200 of 612 Old 25-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
The hex bolt is only to locate the disc to the hub when the wheel is off, you can do without it if needs be.
Thanks guys.

I am going to have to have a look into the issue Pud? After what i said before, i cannot see why the discs would move on the hub without the hex bolt when the wheel is bolted on? The vibration seems to have gone now the spacers are off and bolt back in place?

Damien.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year