Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
So true Scotty.. And usable linear power. I really didn't like my last cars tuned 1.8t for this. I was at stage 2 with that car just under 300bhp with over 315llb ft of torque. Sounds good in the pub or on paper, but in real terms the power delivery was all up top..Christ you had to row the boat to get the dam thing to go properly. My GT's power delivery is so bloody usable and satisfying. Down a fast country lane power is always on tap. The new hybrids response in the higher rev range is so lovely, with non of the slightly out of puff top end feeling the original unit had. By the sounds of it I doubt its a match for Pud's awesome 2.4 but still i am chuffed to bits with the results.

Damien,
Its Craig's (technician at Autolusso) 2.4 now, sadly

I reckon with the hybrid turbo you might edge it, hard one to call. 10v can't boost more than 1.5 bar on original MAP sensor & management, you have 2 bar to play with.
Retardedrocker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT V6

Quote:
Hi Muskie

As much as i would like to help out a fellow GT owner, i wont ever sell my clovers, i love them. Sorry pal.

Damien.
Expected as much, Damien. Can't say I blame you. My search continues. I was going to get a set of the 8C alloys from EB Spares instead of the Clovers - but they've just sold out.

Love the work on your GT
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Muskie, It might be worth contacting these Guys, see what they have for a GT.
WSPItaly Cerchi in lega
(Post Link) post #154 of 612 Old 06-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
Expected as much, Damien. Can't say I blame you. My search continues. I was going to get a set of the 8C alloys from EB Spares instead of the Clovers - but they've just sold out.

Love the work on your GT
Thanks Mate.. If i ever see some for sale i will let you know.. They are a lovely wheel mind, i had mine done in smoke chrome and they catch the light lovely. Plus are so much easier to clean than my multispokes.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #155 of 612 Old 06-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its Craig's (technician at Autolusso) 2.4 now, sadly

I reckon with the hybrid turbo you might edge it, hard one to call. 10v can't boost more than 1.5 bar on original MAP sensor & management, you have 2 bar to play with.
Well respect due anyhow to how long your old 2.4 kept her torque curve linear..I am looking forward to seeing my GT's RR print out as she feels really healthy at the moment.

Damien.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Muskie, It might be worth contacting these Guys, see what they have for a GT.
WSPItaly Cerchi in lega
Good shout. I can't see any on there, but I will drop them an email. They might have some lurking!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Well respect due anyhow to how long your old 2.4 kept her torque curve linear..I am looking forward to seeing my GT's RR print out as she feels really healthy at the moment.

Damien.
I predict you'll have a little less peak torque but a little more HP
(Post Link) post #158 of 612 Old 10-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Funny i found this old post i made in 2008. I was deliberating whether at the time fit koni fsd's to my then 2004 GT jtd or upgrade to a cloverleaf 170. Funny how things turn out. I actually did both lol.

Damien.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...blackline.html
(Post Link) post #159 of 612 Old 24-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well was looking forward to tomorrow and the fitting of my GTA 330mm front brake kit. I went in the bat cave today to inspect the GT 3.2 uprights i bought a while ago for this upgrade. And erm lets say they looked like they had been at the bottom of the sea for 50 years...lol. No way they would be going on tomorrow like that..My fault should have checked properly. Anyhow quick phone to Ned at Autolusso and we both agreed powder coating them would be the way to go. So slight delay but will be worth it. All in the details as they say.

Spent yesterday evening in the bat cave working out where my catch can will fit, plumb in etc. And ended up detailing the battery side of my engine bay. And wrapping the unsightly wiring harness in dei high heat wrap..Looks very neat now. Have ordered the silicone hose for the catch can fitment. So looking forward to fitting my Rutland inline catch can tube. A must for tuned JTD's.

Damien
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bay 1.jpg (73.7 KB, 62 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
VO2Max

Love the Cloverleaf badge on your engine cover, how sweet is that?

(Post Link) post #161 of 612 Old 25-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Down to see Nick at the Alignment centre southampton..Nick has been aligning my cars for years now. As well as being bloody awesome at what he does and a top bloke he has great coffee..lol.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nick GT.jpg (73.9 KB, 42 views)
(Post Link) post #162 of 612 Old 29-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well busy night in the bat cave. Frustratingly i still have not received the silicone 12mm hose necessary to fit my new Rutland in line catch can with.lol..I keep giving the postman a fright when he sees my eyes peering up at him through my front door letter box. Started to prepare the turbo heat shield for paint. Decided on Gloss black high temp spray paint. Should look class when its done. Here is the before pic..Taken me a while, but have really cleaned up the bay now. Just need to get in touch with pro bolt and replace all the nasty cheap Alfa screws and bolts in the engine bay. Problem is designating which size i need. Might have to order some new ones and send them off to them to match.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rutland.jpg (36.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg turbo shield.jpg (43.1 KB, 12 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Is that still the OEM heat shield? Or did you need any mods to accommodate your funky hybrid turbo?
(Post Link) post #164 of 612 Old 29-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Is that still the OEM heat shield? Or did you need any mods to accommodate your funky hybrid turbo?
Thats the oem heat Shield...No mods needed plenty of room for the hybrid behind the original.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thats the oem heat Shield...No mods needed plenty of room for the hybrid behind the original.

Damien.
Good stuff

Out of curiosity, how much was it to upgrade to the hybrid versus stock replacement part? I understand the swirl flap nuked the last one, so either way your were getting a new turbo!
(Post Link) post #166 of 612 Old 29-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Correct.. It was agreed in the space of a couple of seconds between Ned and i, that hybrid was the way to go.
The price for the MD556 Stage 1 Turbo dynamics unit was as stated 912 which included vat. Which i think was still on par with a new GT 170 spec unit, which is slightly different to the 150 unit.

MD556 - Stage 1 Hybrid Turbocharger:

Hi flow GT22 compressor wheel
Re-profiled compressor housing to suit
360 degree thrust bearing
Modified turbine wheel blades to reduce backpressure
Blueprinting of turbo to motorsport standards
Max recommended boost pressure: 22-24 PSI
Estimated Power Output: 220-240 bhp

I ran the new turbo with pretty much std 170 boost levels to start off with to make sure all was ok. You could feel even at that level the character of the new turbo giving more meaty pull and power up the top of the rev range.
It was when we fitted the FMIC and the boost was upped again the turbo really came alive. Never forget that drive home..Sadly the stock clutch didn't last for long at this stage. Couldn't handle the peak torque. So the JTD tuning stage one clutch was fitted and so far so good she is solid. I was sympathetic to the new clutch for a good 1000 miles, to bed it in.
The new turbo honestly makes the car feel like a larger multi cylinder engine not the characteristics of a turbocharged car. The torque is all there when you need it. Absolutely no lag. Yet i am sure this is partially due to the nature of a diesel engine anyhow. Its how the new unit enables the car to rev strongly and cleanly right up to the rev line, no running out of puff like the oem unit. Just lovely.

I could of opted for the JTD performance GTB turbo kit. But to be fair the TD unit will go to a nice boost level and around 240, which would be an awesome place to be with WMI one day. The q2 diff does a magnificent job of controlling the added torque. I know for sure my old GT without the q2 would have struggled to get the power down from slower speeds. Its been a really interesting learning curve.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #167 of 612 Old 07-04-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well productive day under the bonnet of my GT clover. Finally got the parts i needed for my Rutland catch can breather set up. Really pleased with the results, and more importantly keeping crappy crud out of my boost hoses and breather pipes. Made a small bracket for the filter, and managed to reroute the new piping to the right hand side of the bay making the well engineered beautiful inline ​​little breather can catch a bit of a feature. At the same time did a bit of cleaning and tidy up. Things looking much better under there now. Hoping to attack the turbo heat shield next..

Damien
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rutland 1.jpg (81.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 08-04-15 at 13:24.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

There's a tiny smidgen of dirt on the oil filler cap. Just not good enough I'm afraid.

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

My engine bay is nothing but dirt. And tubes and LPG and Filters with more tubes and Injectors :-)

Does look snazzy though.
(Post Link) post #170 of 612 Old 09-04-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Put the final coats on my GT's turbo heat shield tonight. The key was in the preparation. Got down to bare metal in an attempt to get the best final result with the textured heat resistant paint. Took my time with the layering of paint. Really looking forward to fitting it to the car..Another bit of the bay to polish.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo heat.jpg (46.0 KB, 13 views)
AO Silver Member

You're such a car-tart

Doesn't mean I'm not jealous mind! Wish I had the time/money to fiddle about with mine at this level of detail!
(Post Link) post #172 of 612 Old 09-04-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
You're such a car-tart

Doesn't mean I'm not jealous mind! Wish I had the time/money to fiddle about with mine at this level of detail!
Yes thats me.. OCD tuning.com

Of all my cars the GT's engine bay is one of the hardest to detail. I thought about doing away with the plastic cover but the layout is not attractive under there..No attractive cam cover i can smooth or worth having painted. So will just leave it on and make the surroundings immaculate. Need to study properly what can be done.

Paddy the oil cap has been cleaned thoroughly..

Damien.
(Post Link) post #173 of 612 Old 14-04-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Recently fitted manifold heat shield.. Really looks so much nicer in black than the embarrassing pitted silver item..

Also managed to get hold of some gorgeous jet fin 18's, i will hopefully soon when funds allow, be having refurbished in probably porsche silver with machined outer lips..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black heat sheild.jpg (74.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 14-04-15 at 22:45.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Looking pimping all ready for the summer.
Mine got a wash the other day and I actually cleaned the inside of it.

Smells like a tarts handbag
(Post Link) post #175 of 612 Old 30-04-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Little picture of my baby yesterday. I have been through a period of experimentation with tyre setup. I tried pirelli P zero 235/40/18's all round. It caused issues to the front of the car. Slight lack of steering feel compared to the 225's. Also had arch bite on full lock on my lowered chassis. In the end went back to my oem pirelli P zero 225/40/18's on the front and kept the wider 235/40/18 on the back, and its a great balance. My steering feels razor sharp again. Will also be going 225's on my front 19's too. Finally fitted my new drivers side sill and trim. She looks like the day she left the showroom now. The old sill had a stiletto heel divot in it..As arousing as that sounds, it bugged the OCD hell out of me.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 225 front.jpg (106.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg new sill.jpg (64.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 30-04-15 at 11:47.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year