Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #101 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well hopefully will be able to tell you soon when i book her in for a RR session to see where we are at. I would like to think on a nice cool day well over 200bhp now with a slug full of torque. Will see how she feels on the drive home with the good old fashioned butt dyno..

Hybrid turbo's are very clever..the compressor designs and materials enable larger turbo's to spool faster. I really feel my MD556 is really well matched to the engine. Really is seamless the power delivery. The new FMIC piping might cause a tad more lag, but Wayne reckons if so we can incorporate this into the map. Its all interesting exciting stuff.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

bad luck on the swirl flaps.

Are the other 3 still in place?
Is it during high revs that they tend to get sucked in?
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

I'd imagine at any point. Although higher rev's means more air which means more suction from the pistons and velocity of air.

Point being they are a clever design to limit air. Almost like another throttle body. But least Alfa made them out of plastic rather than metal (I think). Many BMW's and other brands made them from metal. Once one of them goes in you can kiss your engine goodbye.

I told the old man to get shot of them fast.

You've spent a fair amount on the old GT so far!
(I have on mine but mostly fixing bits i've destroyed).

Wonder how much so called lag it takes out of the spool up.
You'll have to let me know. As its one of the things I dislike about turbo's. Lag. Which is why i've always opted for N/A as I prefer the control.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

metal flaps on the later engines I think (2007 onwards?). Apparently the plastic ones usually don't cause any damage if they come off (just read an old thread).

I wonder if there is less strain on them if they are just left open? no constant moving and also less surface area to be pulled in?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
bad luck on the swirl flaps.

Are the other 3 still in place?
Is it during high revs that they tend to get sucked in?
No we did a swirl flap delete on it

They can come off any time, had a guy book in today that has had 2 come off on a 159 1.9 JTD

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
When you say "down" I assume you are going to our Bournemouth branch to see Loz tell him to get a hair cut

Ned
I certainly am sir...

from Guildfrod its much of a muchness which branch to go to, but I have a nan in poole so makes sense to go that way and treat nanna to scones.

mines a 2007 so i assume I do indeed have the worst combi of metal swirlflaps and plastic manifold...?

bug**r..
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
I certainly am sir...

from Guildfrod its much of a muchness which branch to go to, but I have a nan in poole so makes sense to go that way and treat nanna to scones.

mines a 2007 so i assume I do indeed have the worst combi of metal swirlflaps and plastic manifold...?

bug**r..
Correct you do, they are not hard to delete while doing a cam belt

Loz is very good and will look after you, their operation is much smaller then ours but you are in good hands

Ned
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
No we did a swirl flap delete on it
I believe thats quite a big job!
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
I believe thats quite a big job!
It is easier to do a delete then than it is to fix the engine once they have been swallowed

Ned
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
It is easier to do a delete then than it is to fix the engine once they have been swallowed
of course. but I've read the plastic ones usually do no damage.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Less damage as they breakup. But damage non the less
(Post Link) post #112 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:

Ned
No truer word said.. I unfortunately learnt the very hard way.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #113 of 612 Old 30-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well what a drive home from Autolusso last night.

The new found torque and power is breathtaking. The wave of power across the rev range is quite addictive. Waynes new map is so linear and seamless, it doesn't feel like a turbo'd car more like a bigger block motor, if that makes sense. I think the new map with slightly more boost has awakened the capability of the new hybrid turbo. I am still getting my head round the changes and the new character in the way the car delivers the power. Its power depth and user friendliness is so satisfying. Couldn't stop smiling on the drive home last night. Already my project has outdone my expectation. Also the FM looks awesome peeking out behind the front grill vents. Big thanks goes to Ned and Wayne at Autolusso. Wayne did an awesome clean job of fitting the FMIC. I couldn't be happier right now.

Damien.
AO Member

County: Vaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Ok just learned about hybrid turbos. Interesting and why it was never adapted sooner I never know. Although in order to spool a turbo it does take a huge amount of electric.

All good news.
So whats she putting down now?
I think you read that wikipedia article, right? That's not what he got. Usually a hybrid turbo means just a conventional turbo design that is slightly different from the OEM setup e.g. slightly bigger turbine wheel, a different seal and so on. You can read something about it here:
Turbo Dynamics: Hybrid Turbochargers
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Potentially. Although I like the idea of electric helping spool a turbo.
Still think compressors are fat better in my world for how the power is delivered.

Got you so just a bigger turbo for now...

Anyway glad its going so well. Get a video up!
AO Member

County: Vaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Potentially. Although I like the idea of electric helping spool a turbo.
Still think compressors are fat better in my world for how the power is delivered.

Got you so just a bigger turbo for now...

Anyway glad its going so well. Get a video up!
Hybrids are great. I have one on my track prepped Fiat Coupe 20VT, pushing out 337 bhp
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post

The new found torque and power is breathtaking. The wave of power across the rev range is quite addictive. Waynes new map is so linear and seamless, it doesn't feel like a turbo'd car more like a bigger block motor, if that makes sense. I think the new map with slightly more boost has awakened the capability of the new hybrid turbo. I am still getting my head round the changes and the new character in the way the car delivers the power. Its power depth and user friendliness is so satisfying. Couldn't stop smiling on the drive home last night. Already my project has outdone my expectation. Also the FM looks awesome peeking out behind the front grill vents. Big thanks goes to Ned and Wayne at Autolusso. Wayne did an awesome clean job of fitting the FMIC. I couldn't be happier right now.

Damien.
sounds awesome, glad you have achieved what you set out to, and more by the sound of it...
I will be heading in a similar direction with my car all be it a bit more conservatively, at least to begin with!
AO Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post

Damien.
Hey fellow Black sheep ,

sorry to hear you had issues , but glad you have got them sorted for the better !

take it easy and enjoy now (not too easy !)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Hi Damian!

Nice to see your topic. I'm glad the upgrades exceed your expectations!
It is always a combination of good hardware and software to make it work as it should be!
(Post Link) post #120 of 612 Old 30-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS JTD View Post
Hi Damian!

Nice to see your topic. I'm glad the upgrades exceed your expectations!
It is always a combination of good hardware and software to make it work as it should be!
Hey Joel

Yes indeed things are finally coming together now. And have been grateful for all your guidance on all things JTD. To be honest your modified 147 JTD has been a great inspiration to me. I am very happy with my JTD tuning parts on my car. And your right in saying quality upgrades with the right software are the key. I am very lucky to have Autolusso looking after my car. Hoping to fine tune and continue my modding journey.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #121 of 612 Old 30-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintetienne View Post
Hey fellow Black sheep ,

sorry to hear you had issues , but glad you have got them sorted for the better !

take it easy and enjoy now (not too easy !)
Ha ha Black sheep love it..

My old 2004 modded GT makes my 2010 cloverleaf look like a naughty child..

Yes i believe when the poop hits the fan, its always a good excuse to rebuild with bigger better and stronger. Really feel i am getting there now.

Might see you around in your lovely GT, i am often in Uckfield visiting the girlfriend..

Damien.
(Post Link) post #122 of 612 Old 20-02-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So little bit of an update on my modified GT.

Its been real fun enjoying the new power since Autolusso fitted the new front mount JTD performance intercooler. The difference is staggering. And the car feels and sounds so healthy. Have to remember she still has only 36 thousand miles on her and i really think she will get stronger as more mileage goes under her wheels.

So whats next. Well the first thing to address is the clutch. She let go good and proper yesterday on the way home from work. Its ok, i was expecting this. Infact i was pleasantly surprised the oem clutch took the new torque levels for as long as it did. Luckily i purchased a new stage 1 JTD performance unit a few month ago in preparation. So made appointment with uncle Ned next monday to have the new unit fitted, and some of Autolusso's new stock excellent Fuchs sintofluid gear oil.

Also second decision made is that i will be going for the GTA 330mm big brake conversion soon when funds allow, with Autolusso's performance friction pads and uprated brake lines. To be honest i cannot wait to have proper brakes again. My last project had big brembo's and going back to std GT brakes has been comically educational.

I will also be looking into WMI. Everyone i talk to in tuning the JTD says this really does make a hell of a difference. I also see it as great engine security and preservation when using higher boost levels. I would like to do track days this coming summer. So max engine cooling is key. As i go to the usa alot with my work the USA snow performance kits look a good option for me, and have a good rep for reliability.

I also fitted some Pirelli 235/40/18's to my clovers last week. I prefer the wider taller rubber than the oem 225/40/18 elastic bands. Better fast road ride quality, and give a chunky 1980's race look to the wheels..lol.

On Monday she goes in for paint at SPR coachworks for a week. The lads there do an absolutely amazing job. And although its miles away from my house its worth the distance getting her there. So will be nice to have all the vandalism gone from that some nasty mindless ****** did to her in November.

So the bun fight continues. I won't say this project has been easy cause it aint been. You have to really have a passion for a car to go to the lengths i have so early in my ownership, with a low mileage example. Yet i am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. The engine is now super strong with all the work done. And with the new clutch will bring increased confidence in putting the power down. Just love my GT, nothing changes there.

Damien.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Good to hear that everything is going well. I am going down a similar route to you as I have decided to keep the GT.

Rick
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Ned is your uncle?
(Post Link) post #125 of 612 Old 20-02-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Ned is your uncle?
Just an expression..

Great to hear you are keeping her Rickco..Trust me unlocking the cars full potential is fun..

Damien.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year