Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Beautiful wheels! Would look good on my GT 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #77 of 612 Old 23-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Beautiful wheels! Would look good on my GT 😉
Thanks James. Yes they would..Look better on a black GT..Honk honk..

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Of Course they would 😉
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
I just noticed you've got Pirelli's on. P Zero Neros? How do you like them compared to your old Goodyears? Do they make the ride a tad hard, like they did on mine? I reckon you wanna get some GudYrs or PS3's on. Have I mentioned how good the ride is on my GT?
(Post Link) post #80 of 612 Old 23-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
I just noticed you've got Pirelli's on. P Zero Neros? How do you like them compared to your old Goodyears? Do they make the ride a tad hard, like they did on mine? I reckon you wanna get some GudYrs or PS3's on. Have I mentioned how good the ride is on my GT?
You know me well Alex.

I will be going for a set of goodyear asymetric 2's in 235/40/18 next. Yes wider and a tad taller side walls. not really enough percentage wise difference to the 225's. I know this will work well. I had these on my old modified TTqs and they were awesome, and in 235 improved ride quality as well.

The pirelli's are nice though really grippy and quiet. Can only compare when i do make the change Al as i have a different chassis set up on my new GT. "Did i mention how dynamically brilliant and comfy my eibach pro S coils are..lol

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
(Post Link) post #81 of 612 Old 12-08-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well my new black repeaters arrived from Germany today.

Also took a pic of my new slightly lower stance. Going to get my alloys rebalanced tomorrow morning as since i got them back from being refurbished, i have experienced slight vibration at just over 70mph. Then i can refit the spacers and lower her another thread all round.

Damien.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 02-10-14 at 11:15.
(Post Link) post #82 of 612 Old 13-09-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So a little update to my build thread..

Well after 5 month of waiting i finally received my stunning wiechers Alu strut brace today. Stunning quality and fit. Really adds to the aesthetics of the bay and stiffens the front up nicely. Just had to move a sensor on the right hand upper area of the bay, apart from that fitting was simple. Will get some new stainless nuts soon to finish it off. Apparently production in Germany had stopped. Well worth the wait.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar.jpg (63.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 26-10-14 at 01:51.
(Post Link) post #83 of 612 Old 26-10-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Been a developmental week for my GT.

Thursday saw me bright and early at Autolusso for her Mot, cambelt and waterpump change. Also managed to have a full waxoil protection underseal treatment. Not to mention having an Autolusso lower turbo hose fitted. Both of these procedures i had done to my previous 2004 GT.

Had a really good chat to Ned about future upgrades and changes. And what was worthwhile to do and not.

Also we discussed the Alfa Mito Brembo caliper conversion for my car. Which i think might be easier and more cost effective than the GTA brembo's, which would need the uprights changing to GT 3.2 items due to their different bolt pattern.

With the cambelt done it was time to have some fun. Remap time. Wayne chief mapping technician had a chat with me asking me what i was after with my remap. And the options open to me, having the Clover 170 sport button and incorporating it into the process.
Autolusso have really done their homework on the subject, and i was very suitably impressed. They have spent a lot of time studying every aspect. The great thing about Autolusso's mapping, is that as you modify your car, with freer flowing exhausts or water meth injection etc.. you can modify the map to better suit the new modifications. Unlike other generic maps on the market. And this definitely suited me.

So once the new maps were downloaded we went for a test run. Straight away without even pressing the sport button the car felt so much more responsive, throttle sensitivity at slower speeds was greatly improved, which made the car feel much easier to drive. And when i found a bit of road to put some pedal to the metal, i really was taken back by the cars increased torque and power. In a word stunning. Which was confirmed on my drive home to Wiltshire that evening. Much more responsive and powerful than the Angel tuning map i had on my previous GT. And not peaky at all, very linear and mindful of the clutch.
At the moment i have 2 map settings, with the sport button on, sensitivity is increased and the power is delivered in a more aggressive manner. I am very glad i have the q2 diff. With more power you really feel it working more. All in all i am extremely happy with my transformed GT. And can thoroughly recommend this to Gt owners who are considering having their cars mapped. I cannot stop smiling about my cars new engine character.

Also managed to fit my newly aquired Coilover covers to protect them in the winter months.

Below Autolusso's "Wayne the Brain" does his ECU magic.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wayne GT.jpg (84.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg coilover jackets.jpg (34.7 KB, 60 views)
Pule GT V6 likes this.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 26-10-14 at 12:02.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I like those red covers. Nice touch.

For me, part of the joy of alfa ownership is learning about cars/engines/electricity! etc and trying to do stuff myself, wherever possible. Not everyone's approach of course and obviously anything major gets done by those in the know. I realise you may only have had complex stuff done on this GT, but any plans to get your hands dirty, ever lol?
(Post Link) post #85 of 612 Old 26-10-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
I like those red covers. Nice touch.

For me, part of the joy of alfa ownership is learning about cars/engines/electricity! etc and trying to do stuff myself, wherever possible. Not everyone's approach of course and obviously anything major gets done by those in the know. I realise you may only have had complex stuff done on this GT, but any plans to get your hands dirty, ever lol?
Thanks t3yls..And respect to you. I do enjoy getting my hands dirty, and the satisfying feeling of doing things yourself. The boost pipe went on because she was on the ramp, and i made my mind up on the day. I service her myself every 5k and then with Ned every other 5k to keep her service stamps regular. My main problem is time because of my crazy job and always being overseas.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I thought you seemed far too keen to not get your stuck in yourself at some point! I have plenty of time to tinker and love trying to solve issues myself, with help from here of course!

Keep up the good work, you contribute a lot to the forum
(Post Link) post #87 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So just a little update from me and my Gt clover's progress..

Its been a testing time with my car, unfortunately in November...On my birthday lol..I suffered the dreaded swirl flap failure. Was with the girlfriend in wales driving the "Evo triangle" and before it happened the car had been fantastic. Everything came together on that piece of legendary tarmac..The chassis mods were awesome on the Welsh sweeping fast country roads. The swirl flap went through the engine and into the turbo causing catastrophic turbo failure at the time i feared a lot worse.

So the car was shipped to Autolusso where the decision was made to replace the blown turbo with a turbo dynamics hybrid. And replace the front cat which had also fallen victim to the swirl flap carnage. A JTD tuning free flow downpipe would replace the front cat. Luckily i had gotten away with no engine damage. have to say Ned and the lads were utterly magnificent and efficient in getting her back on the road again.

So after 3 months of driving her. I can honestly say she feels so healthy and the hybrid turbo is really lovely. The power and torque from 3k onwards is quite something and just keeps on going to the red line, and she seems to rev much more freely than before. So very happy with the results.

Damien.

MD556 - Stage 1 Hybrid Turbocharger:

Hi flow GT22 compressor wheel
Re-profiled compressor housing to suit
360 degree thrust bearing
Modified turbine wheel blades to reduce backpressure
Blueprinting of turbo to motorsport standards
Max recommended boost pressure: 22-24 PSI
Estimated Power Output: 220-240 bhp
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Nice.

What's that done to your insurance?
(Post Link) post #89 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Not too bad Paddy..

So today i am here at Autolusso having my "JTD performance FMIC" fitted. This will really help the hybrid turbo. On the GT the FMIC is right in the airflow path through the grill, so looking forward to feeling the difference. Its an efficient bar and plate fin design. And it comes as a part of a full fit. Brackets included. A little map tweak will be executed at the end of the day, time permitting.
Really want to thank Joel at JTD performance in holland for all his experience and advice. He is starting to produce some great products for the JTD market. I already have his downpipe fitted.

I decided to add a little art work to the front of my cooler...

Damien.

http://www.jtd-performance.com/en/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmic-gt (1).jpg (84.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg fmic sooty.jpg (44.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 29-01-15 at 13:55.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
good to hear another positve on autolusso maps..am going down on monday for the egr delete and a 180bhp map..

can't wait to harness the untapped reserves of power and torque in the engine....!
(Post Link) post #91 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
good to hear another positve on autolusso maps..am going down on monday for the egr delete and a 180bhp map..

can't wait to harness the untapped reserves of power and torque in the engine....!
You won't be disappointed Joey. "Wayne the brain" As he is known at Autolusso, really knows his stuff. The car will be transformed. Big smile guaranteed on the way home.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
fantastic...

i'm going to go a tad conservative as I don't want to eat the clutch, but i'm in good hands so will do as much as im advised the car can safely handle.

Damien I also plan a Q2 and upgraded clutch but would like to get some miles on it before further outlay.. will be putting some 's aside to do clutch,Q2 and upgraded ARB's at the same time....unlucky with the swirlflaps mate, it is a concern and i'm wondering whether to get the inlet mani off and deal with it now..

bloody stupid idea swirl flaps...
(Post Link) post #93 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Yes good planning Joey.

I would definitely budget for the swirl flap removal mod Joey. Cannot tell you the carnage it caused me. I am not the only one this has happened to. Its great piece of mind.

The Q2 really comes into its own when you have more power on tap. The difference between my last Gt JTD and my clover with Q2 is night and day, you can just get on the power so much earlier with the Q2, and you actually adjust your driving style with it.

I went with a stage one JTD performance clutch which gives a much higher torque threshold and oem lightweight pedal action. One of Joels customers uses this with his GTB turbo conversions and it has more than held up to a years abuse.

Another option is Autolusso's excellent very competitively priced single plate fly, with GTA clutch. Great solid setup for big power. The only reason i didn't go with this was because i am a tad ocd, and was worried about the slight possibility of idle transmission chatter.

Damien.
Retardedrocker likes this.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Couple of pictures

Ned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9045.JPG (189.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9047.JPG (207.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9044.JPG (229.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9046.JPG (235.9 KB, 74 views)
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post

When you say "down" I assume you are going to our Bournemouth branch to see Loz tell him to get a hair cut

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

And ruining the transmission in the process... Well with the uneven torque pulses.

Whats the difference in the Turbo over the standard?

Very lucky on the swirl flap getting sucked in and straight out. Would have thought it would have chipped the pistons quite badly the longer it was in the chamber.
The amount you've spent I would have thought you'd have been better of getting the V6 having the power on tap and just paying the extra in fuel.

I like the spring boots idea. Never seen them before. Should help protect the springs and shocks considerably.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
(Post Link) post #97 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Couple of pictures

Ned
Much appreciated for those pics Ned..

Damien.
(Post Link) post #98 of 612 Old 29-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
And ruining the transmission in the process... Well with the uneven torque pulses.

Whats the difference in the Turbo over the standard?

Very lucky on the swirl flap getting sucked in and straight out. Would have thought it would have chipped the pistons quite badly the longer it was in the chamber.
The amount you've spent I would have thought you'd have been better of getting the V6 having the power on tap and just paying the extra in fuel.

I like the spring boots idea. Never seen them before. Should help protect the springs and shocks considerably.
As much as i love the v6 Scotty, i love a turbo and the tunability it brings. And also the newer clover modern interior character and features. Id love a V6 one day but as a second car. And i have the power and economy with my tuned JTD.

The hybrid gives much faster spool and is not as stressed at higher boost levels. And a nice juicy top end.

I was very lucky with the swirl flap and my engine. The Alfa gods were smiling that day.

Damien.

ps..And as for ruining my transmission not really? It all depends on the sympathy of the map. My GT 170 clutch is slightly uprated from the factory. But i have a JTD performance stage one on standby. Joel at JTD P has his car near 270bhp and his transmission is fine.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 29-01-15 at 16:25.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

They certainly were.
That's the thing with Turbo's you can swap them out and change the pipes and hey presto instant power. Providing the block is up to the job.

I need to learn how hybrid turbo's differ from older turbo's.
I keep dabbling with the idea or running low boost of a supercharger in place of the Aircon compressor myself.

But then i'd have to change the pipes and mess about with an intercooler and blow off valve etc etc... Cheaper to invest in a bigger engine.

An LPG I should be able to run quite a bit of boost thanks to the higher octane. But its all a bit much when you can buy a ready made one with all the power. But I am sure even having 250hp I'd always want more.
You always do...
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Ok just learned about hybrid turbos. Interesting and why it was never adapted sooner I never know. Although in order to spool a turbo it does take a huge amount of electric.

All good news.
So whats she putting down now?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year