Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 25 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Where have your red stilettos gone Damien?
ALFADOIT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #602 of 612 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Where have your red stilettos gone Damien?
They got blown away by tuned diesel soot..lol.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #603 of 612 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Been a little while since my last update and so much has happened to the car. Firstly and finally we managed to book her in for a much needed dyno session. We were all filled with hope as she is a very healthy example with chosen engine mods that would hopefully make good power when remapped. First base run and all looked ok, second run and she started leaking boost badly. So it was bumper off to look at and tighten all the induction silicone connections. Once that was done it was back on the Dyno for the second time for a final run. And what a run that was. 277bhp and near 600nm of torque. Which is quite phenomenal for this engine. Was a happy moment after that run.

So how does this equate out on the road in real terms. Well guys the car is electric. She was no slouch before mind you, but she feels truly amazing now. And with her power to weight being favourable too she has become a busso killer.

Also have chosen my new seats, which will be bespoke made to my spec and trim. To keep to the Alfa style in the cabin. The new seats look like a race bucket but have the ability to recline, and will have seat heating which i spec'd. As i would miss the old heated seats. So with the oem seats weighing close to 40kg's and my new seats at just over 11kgs each with seat heating elements fitted. Its a win win. That weight loss should be noticeable.

Also i received my spoiler. I took it upon myself to design a spoiler for my car not liking anything aftermarket for my GT. I think i got the measurements and contours right and it looks very subtle indeed. Just what i wanted. I have a few final little subtle aero pieces in paint at the moment for the sills that complete my look. She is starting to look the way i envisioned when i started this project years ago. The new OZ wheels have given the car a new identity. The original cloverleaf triangles had to go, and so did all the badges on the boot. To give a more clean modified look to the car.

I also had the new 4 point under brace fitted after powder coating it to match the rest of my red mods under there. The brace has made a noticeable difference to the rear of the car, she just feels even more planted now, which again will help chassis rigidity out on track.

I know her new image is not going to please everyone. But hey its what i envisioned for her many years ago. So seeing your project get to this stage is very exciting. She really has surpassed my expectations in every way. And i owe Ned and the lads at Autolusso huge thanks for that.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13913986_1265159200163152_5570170227682127674_o.jpg (101.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 13920134_1265163583496047_5122296295700602566_o.jpg (182.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 326a1dad-e88d-499f-9070-8de668be55bf_zpsua8dmphq.jpg (108.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg c69ca7e7-23a3-483f-96a9-2b257226d425_zpshmgqpql9.jpg (72.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 5be7bff8-b93b-461e-aec9-019cdd71b127_zps7wnk3zkb.JPG (380.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg c48e9bb9-4eca-4a50-876a-9b0049cbba9b_zpsyfe1rubt.jpg (136.8 KB, 43 views)
lewis91 and joeymannero like this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
(Post Link) post #604 of 612 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Hi guys little update for those who might be interested.

Really been enjoying my car. Most of the big jobs now completed it time to perfect and enjoy the beast she has become. Received my new enlarged airbox filter neck from Joel the other day. So will be modifying the airbox again soon to fit the billet neck inlet.

Also have ordered my gorgeous new reclinable lightweight bespoke bucket seats which are now being made. Look forward to sharing them when they are fitted in the car. I have made sure they look aesthetically as Alfa would have wanted.

Also had my second track day in her at Bedford autodrome yesterday. Ned kindly invited me down during the week while i was at Autolusso for my Mot.
She felt amazing on track. My new Carbotech track pads with my grooved GTA discs performed flawlessly all day, not a hint of overheating, so over the moon. I find the performance friction pads are the best for on road use though. But the Carbotech for the track are sublime for my GT. Also this was the first time out with the new rear chassis brace, the car felt really lovely and neutral on the limit and the amount of grip was staggering and confidence inspiring. I really get a huge sense of what the car is doing, something i struggled to do with my last modified German coupe i used on track.

I also got to drive Ned's simply awesome sequential 3.8 GTA. Which was an utter privilege. It took me a coupe of laps to get used to the nature of the sequential box, and then it was pure heaven. Being used to the GT's chassis on track getting into the GTA was home from home. Especially as Neds GTA has the same chassis mods as my GT. This car is simply awesome and a credit to Autolusso. Huge thanks to Ned for the opportunity to drive his baby on track, i think i did her proud out there.

I have to say i came away absolutely enamoured with the Alfa brand yesterday. I spent most of my 20's and 30's in performance Audi's. And never for a minute would i imagine i would change my allegiance to another brand like this. But Alfa has done that. The transition is complete. It hit me properly yesterday, after an awesome day on track, as she is now this GT without doubt is my favourite car i have owned to date.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b2db08c8-c35a-4125-b51d-b5d155ce5dbd_zpsv8fkugrs.JPG (256.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg b636cbe0-cd97-4ac2-a6ba-385e1d2be225_zps6g6mhssb.jpg (153.6 KB, 19 views)
alcooker, JS JTD, Muskie and 4 others like this.
(Post Link) post #605 of 612 Old 12-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Few pictures from my track day this weekend. She felt amazing out there. Had changed some things since my last time on track at Snetterton. New Carbotech front pads and multi grooved gta 330mm front discs and rear chassis under brace fitted. The pads have now stopped my overheating, so i had full confidence in my brakes lap after lap. She felt lovely on the limit with the new brace bar, i could feel the difference, so predictable and neutral. The way this car grips now is something else.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XSP_09704.jpg (83.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg XSP_0873.jpg (126.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg XSP_0872.jpg (154.2 KB, 26 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Car looks great on the track!

Does that billet intake fit with the original snorkel intake by just eliminating the restriction on the inlet, or will you have to come up with a DIY snorkel?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #607 of 612 Old 12-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Car looks great on the track!

Does that billet intake fit with the original snorkel intake by just eliminating the restriction on the inlet, or will you have to come up with a DIY snorkel?
Thank you kind sir, and good question mate. I am hoping to use the oem snorkel intake bracket part in some way, but obviously am going to have to get a thicker hose to make use of the larger intake tract air path. Will keep you updated.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Thank you kind sir, and good question mate. I am hoping to use the oem snorkel intake bracket part in some way, but obviously am going to have to get a thicker hose to make use of the larger intake tract air path. Will keep you updated.

Damien.
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing the next bit of progress.
(Post Link) post #609 of 612 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Hi guys hope you are all well.

My new seats finally arrived with their sub frames a few weeks ago. They are about a quarter the weight of my oem GT leather seats. And so bloody lovely to sit in and supportive. I opted for red stitching to match my interior and steering wheel. Also went for heating elements as i like to keep my oem seat heating, lol.

Also managed to find a rare genuine Alfa GT sports bumper. Needs a little work before paint. It will create so much more airflow for my FMIC, and for directing air to my brakes for track days. Wanted one for so long now, so well chuffed to eventually get my hands on one. No way was i going to pay the ridiculous price Alfa want for a new one. Looking forward to getting both seats and bumper on the car in time.

My beloved GT has taken semi retirement as of late all safe and polished in the garage. Coming out only on dry days and track days. I bought myself a little second car to run about in. And me being me couldn't leave it alone. So its been fun getting my hands dirty and modding the little beast. 500 Abarth essesse with 160bhp. Had to keep my little fleet Italian.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14656268_10155346465913135_1233244498383622053_n.jpg (29.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 14731385_10155346504578135_7935437428307344387_n.jpg (34.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 46f6cc30-8e7e-4539-b50a-4dae155e91d2_zpspfmmymxa.JPG (341.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 109.jpg (164.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 14716084_10155366381303135_5545370987286853548_n.jpg (82.8 KB, 19 views)
t3yls and joeymannero like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I have done the same mate, getting a second car to share the mileage...also had to keep it Italian.

a 98 GTV Lusso with a sunroof , 150 ponies and revtastic...bought for pennies, but I did a lot of work ! cambelt ,water pump, thermostat, lower wishbones, made and fitted new copper brake lines ( a steep learning curve for sure) from the compensator back wards, full service with oil, filters and fluids, fixed the non working sunroof, repaired the non working drivers seat relaease catch, new rear suspension bushes, fitted teledials with 10mm spacers, refurbed rear calipers and fitted new flexi hoses, fixed battery drain issue ( incorrectly fitted aftermarket radio) sorted airbag warning light ( solderd connections under seats) fixed wonky idle (clean ICV) replaced lower fogs, removed and re-sprayed mirror bases and replaced and re-sprayed broken N/S mirror...fitted new battery and bracket from a breaker...painted calipers and added decals, changed brake pads all round..cleaned all the soft touch crap of the dash and interior and fixed door card tweeters that had fallen inside and gave the whole car a thorough valet.

it was a hell of a project and took me about a month from sart to finish, but I really enjoyed doing the work...

well done finding that sport bumper...look forward to seeing that fitted..any chance you might sell the old one?

latest pics of the GT as well, have changed caliper colour from black to red ( at the front) and fitted a Novitec strut brace as well as having the uppers polybushed, and just did an oil service yesterday, will have to get the door card off this week sometime to adjust the O/S window.

the two of them offer completely different driving experiences and although the litte GTV is 100 or so ponies and a heap of torque less than the blackie its fun winding the revs up, the TS sounds fab for a 4 pot and I am really enjoying the local B roads , I am sure your little 500 offers a similar vibe, she looks fab mate, a really nice addition to the fleet...

we should meeet up in our petrol cars soon..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160825_162742.jpg (247.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20161031_153844.jpg (150.8 KB, 11 views)
tejay and ALFADOIT like this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
That Sport bumper will certainly do the trick with regards to airflow!

Will your front splitter still fit to it the same?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #612 of 612 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
That Sport bumper will certainly do the trick with regards to airflow!

Will your front splitter still fit to it the same?
Looking at the contours of the lower section of the bumper it should fit Dan. :-)

Joe.. Great writeup mate. Its lovely to have a contrast car to make you appreciate both different machines. I have had some awesome fun with the Abarth since i bought it. And have done quite a few mods myself. And am quite chuffed with the results. Yes we will have to meet in the petrols next year..lol.

Took the GT out for a blast last night in the dry freezing cold and she felt awesome. Track day on friday looking forward to that.

Damien.
joeymannero likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year