Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 24 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #576 of 612 Old 15-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Really enjoying the point i am now with the car.

Damien.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #577 of 612 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

A little bit of fun today. Always been a fan of classic Ansa exhausts found on vintage ferrari's, and as my wizard tailpipe design is very reminiscent of the Ansa tailpipes i thought i would emulate the famous brand. Managed to find some genuine Ansa tailpipe decals in the usa. And got to work giving the tailpipes that signature look.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a70e2376-8a8d-4656-b819-ff468fb6325a_zpsymwxrbvx.JPG (309.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2c7d0f0e-0281-4007-942c-75681fd3bbbd_zpsbmje81ou.JPG (384.2 KB, 17 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Absolutely love this GT, things are really coming together now. Attended National Alfa day yesterday. Was helping out on the Autolusso stand. Met and chatted with lots of fellow Alfisti's.

Damien.
Lovely car Damien. We're just starting to look for our first GT to join the 159 - it's for the missus, and I just showed here your pics from post 568, her jaw dropped, "wow, when can we go and see that?"

Cruel, but funny.
ALFADOIT likes this.

Last edited by tony4hop; 16-07-16 at 18:58.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4hop View Post
Lovely car Damien. We're just starting to look for our first GT to join the 159 - it's for the missus, and I just sowed here your pics from post 568, her jaw dropped, "wow, when can we go and see that?"

Cruel, but funny.
whats your budget Tony..?

thinking of changing things up a bit..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160422_114324.jpg (258.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20160618_184120.jpg (225.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20160405_145829.jpg (194.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20160422_114317.jpg (228.1 KB, 25 views)
ALFADOIT and tony4hop like this.
AO Silver Member

and here is one with the big clover badges I put on this week..

also had a GTA clutch and SMF fitted last week,,running around 240 BHP..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160702_111459.jpg (242.2 KB, 26 views)
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
whats your budget Tony..?

thinking of changing things up a bit..
Think you'll be way out of our league TBH, knowing how well looked after yours is and what you've spent on it. Looking at 3,500 max. Got a mini to p/x but could sell it to WBAC.com had a decent(ish) offer on it.
AO Silver Member

well that's a decent lump of money Tony, and if you are looking for a standard one that will buy you something decent for sure... some blacklines and clover 150's at that price, did see a lovely white 147 Ducati Corse on ebay that was 3500..maybe the Mrs would be interested in that? 4 door so lots more practical..

Loz at AL reckons mines worth 6k, I am aware only an Alfa fan would pay that for it, being aware that just the mods amounts to about 6k! and even a GT with a FSH could easily blow a 3k hole in your wallet the first year if you are unlucky..

and in terms of ''normal'' stuff its had new upper and lower wishbones, a new radiator, two new window control units, under sealing 2 new handbrake cables,,oil every 6k miles, fuel filter, a K&N airfilter, a complete set of Osram nightbreaker extreme bulbs,a recent full cambelt kit including water pump idlers and tensioners, new simone racing gear knob and I had all the dents removed as well...there are a couple of cosmetic bits like the drivers seat bolster is worn but other than that its a minter.

that said if you want to go this route you can spend bit by bit but I reckon it would cost a fair amount, bilstien B12s and eibach kit alone are about 1200 fitted, then there is the quaife,and the hybrid turbo and mapping, and the egr delete and the swirl flap removal,the de-cat pipe,GTA clutch and single mass flywheel,light covers,splitter,bluetooth unit with SWC,performance pads and fluid,custom made stainless steel turbo piping, anti shudder valve delete....

the list goes on...!

shame you didn't decide to o this way a few months ago. we bought Mrs Mannero a new car and she may have been into the Mini seeing as she ended up with a bloody Peugeot!

keep us posted with the search, hope you find a good one..
tony4hop likes this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Cheers Joey, I knew yours was way out of my reach There are a few out there (not as good as yours) so we'll bide our time, or not as she wants one now that we've viewed some!

Not wishing to offend anybody, but the 147 is not for us.

My thoughts are that she'll have it for a couple of years and I'll take it over in a few years, when I get rid of the 159, and then I'm gonna spend a few quid on it as a long term investment. So need a guddun as a starting point.

What you looking to move onto?
ALFADOIT likes this.

Last edited by tony4hop; 16-07-16 at 23:04.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4hop View Post
Cheers Joey, I knew yours was way out of my reach There are a few out there (not as good as yours) so we'll bide our time, or not as she wants one now that we've viewed some!

Not wishing to offend anybody, but the 147 is not for us.

My thoughts are that she'll have it for a couple of years and I'll take it over in a few years, when I get rid of the 159, and then I'm gonna spend a few quid on it as a long term investment. So need a guddun as a starting point.

What you looking to move onto?
something with a V6 in it in a perfect world, leaning towards a GTV but TBH am more likely to end up with another GT given my occasional passenger requirments, if not there is a 156 GTA I like the look of, and I may even just take the cash add to it and splurge it on a big deposit on a Giulia in the 4cyl petrol as the QV is out of my reach and I don't see the point in changing for another diesel.

I have considered getting a minter of a Fiat Coupe or even a Maserati 3200, an Audi TT is potentially an option in the 3.2 Quattro with a DSG box.

Ideally Italian, petrol, fast and either Pininfarina, Guigario, or Bertone...if not possible then a Porsche 928S is even on the radar if i can get a good one..as are several TVR's

will see whats about when i come to buy..

re your one, i would try and pick up a Q2 or clover 170, they are going down in price all the time, when i was looking only a year and a half ago you couldn't get a clover for under 6500, they are now going for as little as 3500, and i have seen some real high milers even cheaper!

not a problem on this engine as the service life is 300k, and ancillaries are a never ending situation, so at what point in its life you buy it is the most important, I would rather buy one with 90k on the clock than 75k as it will had to have had clutch, cam belt and wishbones which can be a big expense if not self maintaining.

good luck with your search, car shopping is great fun..
tony4hop likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Quote:
something with a V6 in it in a perfect world, leaning towards a GTV but TBH am more likely to end up with another GT given my occasional passenger requirments, if not there is a 156 GTA I like the look of, and I may even just take the cash add to it and splurge it on a big deposit on a Giulia in the 4cyl petrol as the QV is out of my reach and I don't see the point in changing for another diesel.

I have considered getting a minter of a Fiat Coupe or even a Maserati 3200, an Audi TT is potentially an option in the 3.2 Quattro with a DSG box.

Ideally Italian, petrol, fast and either Pininfarina, Guigario, or Bertone...if not possible then a Porsche 928S is even on the radar if i can get a good one..as are several TVR's

will see whats about when i come to buy..

re your one, i would try and pick up a Q2 or clover 170, they are going down in price all the time, when i was looking only a year and a half ago you couldn't get a clover for under 6500, they are now going for as little as 3500, and i have seen some real high milers even cheaper!

not a problem on this engine as the service life is 300k, and ancillaries are a never ending situation, so at what point in its life you buy it is the most important, I would rather buy one with 90k on the clock than 75k as it will had to have had clutch, cam belt and wishbones which can be a big expense if not self maintaining.

good luck with your search, car shopping is great fun..
Cheers Joey, as said it's for the missus initially (for 2-3 years) and she does at most 3,000 a year (that said I will use it a couple of times a week :big laugh so Q2 and clover are probably not a requirement.

Good advice, much appreciated, and good luck to you too with your search

Couldn't imagine you'd be happy in a TT though? (Sister in law has the 3.2 DSG, Wow!)

EDIT: Asked her if she ever looked back at it when parked up..... she didn't know what I meant!

Last edited by tony4hop; 16-07-16 at 23:54.
(Post Link) post #586 of 612 Old 17-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Hi Tony

I would take your time finding a GT getting a car with a factory fitted q2 diff would be beneficial as this does transform the drive. GT's take a lot of investment to get right, and are pretty average as a base product. I saw the potential and fell in love with the model way back. I also come from a performance audi background. And i am afraid to say the TT is a much better product in stock form. My last car was a beautiful TTQS modified. It was a magazine featured car and i used to do the show scene. Plus the TT scene is a fantastic communal scene. My Audi was solid and effective. I didn't have to baby it like i do my GT. I still have lots of friends from back then.
But i felt the GT has more charm, hence why i bought a second and went to town exploiting its potential. You buy a GT with your heart simple as that. It can be a long road making it solid and you have to be committed. I bought a low mileage one owner car, and experienced the swirl flap failure. You have to be realistic going into GT ownership. There will be money to be spent, its not a drive and forget car. That said its the most all round fun machine i have ever owned. But its taken me practically what i spent on the purchase price, to get her where i wanted her. Again heart over mind. As much as people scoff at the investment in my project, i believe in what i have done, because the car had the potential. She is used with mechanical sympathy but hard. I also am planning to do many more track days in her. What car out there looks this gorgeous, gets near 50mpg has an amazing chassis and steering with a few upgrades , has a tuneable tough engine, and is a little bit different to the norm.

Damien.

My old TTqs below..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meblueyrear_zps1ada79fc.jpg (122.6 KB, 15 views)
tony4hop likes this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
(Post Link) post #587 of 612 Old 18-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So last little mod of the week...lol.. Always been a huge fan of the new Giulia QV and all of her little details. One of them the new black and silver Alfa badge in the centre of the steering wheel. So ordered a little badge from Italy for my GT's wheel and fitted it tonight. Comical moment as removing the old badge meant carefully removing the tabs at each corner of the badge without damaging the surrounding plastic while doing so. The thing is doing this was like playing a game of operation, the bloody horn kept going off while i tried to prise the badge off. Yeah could have disconnected the battery but hey!! So not flavour of the month with my neighbours this evening..lol..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc9254b0-c7ff-42da-94c7-b4b26ea579be_zpsvdmagk2t.jpg (99.0 KB, 38 views)
tony4hop and baxter2308 like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
So last little mod of the week...lol.. Always been a huge fan of the new Giulia QV and all of her little details. One of them the new black and silver Alfa badge in the centre of the steering wheel. So ordered a little badge from Italy for my GT's wheel and fitted it tonight. Comical moment as removing the old badge meant carefully removing the tabs at each corner of the badge without damaging the surrounding plastic while doing so. The thing is doing this was like playing a game of operation, the bloody horn kept going off while i tried to prise the badge off. Yeah could have disconnected the battery but hey!! So not flavour of the month with my neighbours this evening..lol..

Damien.
I thought thos badges were designed to stick over the original badge.

Last edited by typos1; 18-07-16 at 14:20.
(Post Link) post #589 of 612 Old 18-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
I thought thos badges were designed to stick over the original badge.
Not sure mate, but no way would my ocd have dealt with knowing my old badge was underneath. No cover up job. Done it properly.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Nice mod mate..

Link to the badge supplier please..:-)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Not sure mate, but no way would my ocd have dealt with knowing my old badge was underneath. No cover up job. Done it properly.

Damien.
Fair enough, my ocd didnt like the fact that it wouldnt sit flush if the old badge is removed so I stuck mine on top, everyone's ocd is different !

Quote:
Nice mod mate..

Link to the badge supplier please..:-)
Theyve been all over ebay and alibaba for over a year mate (just like the exterior ones), ever since the Giulia was first shown to the public.

Loads of people are selling them all over the world, but they all come from China originally, its a good idea to spray them with some clear coat, especially the outside ones, as the aly tends to corrode and after a year or so causing the paint to flake off.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Quote:
So not flavour of the month with my neighbours this evening..lol..

Damien.

I like this, my lad told me (he's 15!) and his mum how we could could turn the the bleeps off the 159 remote, she's been badgering me for months to do it.

"Doesn't work" I tell her.

Fekk off I'm driving an Alfa and I want all neighbours to know it.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #593 of 612 Old 20-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
Fair enough, my ocd didnt like the fact that it wouldnt sit flush if the old badge is removed so I stuck mine on top, everyone's ocd is different !

Theyve been all over ebay and alibaba for over a year mate (just like the exterior ones), ever since the Giulia was first shown to the public.

Loads of people are selling them all over the world, but they all come from China originally, its a good idea to spray them with some clear coat, especially the outside ones, as the aly tends to corrode and after a year or so causing the paint to flake off.

I found the steering wheel badge to be awesome quality to be fair. Was a little difficult finding a nice silver and black one sold individually. Anyway looks quality in the car.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
I found the steering wheel badge to be awesome quality to be fair. Was a little difficult finding a nice silver and black one sold individually. Anyway looks quality in the car.

Damien.
Yeah, quality good, corrosion resistance poor, know from experience.

So I clear coated all my exterior ones and the steering wheel badge as well just in case.

Once its happened theres no going back as the paint flakes off, which is why I was giving you a heads up. Still therye pretty cheap, so it wont break the bank if youve gotta replace them in a couple of years.
ALFADOIT and joeymannero like this.

Last edited by typos1; 20-07-16 at 13:16.
(Post Link) post #595 of 612 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So made some progress in the research and way forward for my brake track setup. Have some beautiful new 330 black diamond 12 grooved front discs, and have Carbotech XP10's pads on the way, which my friends are using to great effect on track in their modified Audi TTRS's. The Performance friction pads are awesome pads no doubt, but i need to step up a bit for track use, as the GT brakes get a bit hot. Also the inadequacy of cool air being vented to the brakes from the front bumper. So i am putting together a kit to neatly catch air from the front mesh vents just under the indicators, through to the rear of the discs with proper cool air pipework. It should be a nice neat install when finished and give me much more time out there on track before brake fade.

Also ordered my ultra racing rear chassis brace which will arrive with Ned, to be powder coated Alfa red to match the other chassis mods under there.

Also in talks with a British seat manufacturer at the moment. To have some beautiful lighter weight very supportive sports seats made, which will be comfortable and completely in tune with the Alfa interior style , black red stitching etc. Also can specify seat heating, which my present clover seats have for not too much weight gain. So will probably be able to sell my mint clover heated seats on. More news hopefully soon.

So things coming together with the car now. Fine tuning and perfecting.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e8fdb7f9-37a3-49f4-95e8-99c9142d5b4a_zpso3grss4g.jpg (88.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 8eff89be-2732-4977-a752-0bbc7e86c8f4_zpsuwm0aeb6 (1).jpg (92.6 KB, 28 views)
AO Member

Damien, quick question. I've noticed a dark cloud behind me when I'm on full throttle in gear three or if I'm a bit lazy and don't change back down. This results in a bit of hassle as I've regularly got a soot covered rear. How clean is your exhaust when your on full throttle?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #597 of 612 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
Damien, quick question. I've noticed a dark cloud behind me when I'm on full throttle in gear three or if I'm a bit lazy and don't change back down. This results in a bit of hassle as I've regularly got a soot covered rear. How clean is your exhaust when your on full throttle?

Hi Tunde

This is completely normal. Its slight over fuelling. All tuned diesels do this. There is no real way to get round this. You can adjust the smoke filters slightly with mapping. Try and stay higher up the revs and use the gears , try not to pull away in the larger cogs, as she will do it more. Another reason for this is you alleviate long term clutch wear too. 6 gear is a huge cog on our cars.

Obviously on a white car you will notice it more than on my black car. I detail my GT often and keep a bottle of autoglym quick detailer in the boot.

Did you fit the scavenger valve in the end?

Damien.
AO Member

Thanks Damien, it's a bit of a nightmare on a white car but I guess it's a price I have to pay now that I know. I've had a nightmare with the valve (ask Ned) I ordered the bits from a supplier in the UK and he seems to have a challenge with sending bits that fit to Ned.

Last edited by tejay; 23-07-16 at 08:35.
(Post Link) post #599 of 612 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Productive little day with the Italian batmobile. Revisited the arch catching issue. As on my way back from Heathrow on my test full compression speed dip, as you exit T5 onto the sharp bend to the M25, i got an ever so slight catch in the arch drivers side rear. So today i had a good look again to see signs and marks of catching on the lip or inner arch. Was a small metal lip at the end of my arch near where it meets the bumper. So with my dremel and other areas masking taped off, i cut the strange flangy lip off. Then fully primed and painted the area. Happy days i am now 99% sure that has sorted it. ;-) Have to add my little limited edition GT tuning analogue boost gauge has been a great thing to have for monitoring off boost driving and where the meth kicks in. Always had something GT tuning fitted to my cars over the years. More work to be done hopefully next week, where i have come up with a way of attaching the newly adapted TTRS brake ducts to my GT's lower arms. Hoping my pads from Carbotech will arrive, so i can book her in with Ned, for new front discs, pad fitment and rear ultra racing chassis brace fitting.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a3267530-65a8-4a50-b837-abc1f5447e96_zpsugarkift.jpg (79.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 670eaa5a-2a66-4f6f-9acf-a82971c188bb_zpsogpotkky.jpg (90.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 5cb4b2e6-6286-416d-8a08-cd6db42fe5a1_zpsl3iqae4y.JPG (384.5 KB, 15 views)
(Post Link) post #600 of 612 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So all ready for my long trip to Autolusso tomorrow. Some new performance goodies to be fitted. And then hopefully a trip to the Dyno to be live mapped. Be interesting to see what gives. Also my buddy Joe will be joining me for dyno tune, with his lovely Blackline.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 326a1dad-e88d-499f-9070-8de668be55bf_zpsua8dmphq.jpg (108.7 KB, 17 views)
warniegt likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year