Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 23 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Did my first track day this week at Snetterton. Bloody loved it. The car was awesome. No unexpected surprises, chassis was so well controlled on the limit. This chassis never ceases to amaze me. I kept off some known fast machines on the straights too. I am hooked. Hopefully planning the next one soon.

Damien.

Magnificent work Damien, I wonder what surprised the M3 drivers the most, the fact that a FWD Alfa was going so well, or the fact that it was a diesel?
ALFADOIT likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Magnificent work Damien, I wonder what surprised the M3 drivers the most, the fact that a FWD Alfa was going so well, or the fact that it was a diesel?
I've always been in awe of the M3 and to think my baby has the potential of making them get out an Italian dictionary is music to my ears.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #553 of 612 Old 08-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So what next..

After the track day experience and being completely hooked, its time to concentrate on making her efficient for that purpose.

Have decided to create some more flow from my brakes. The GT bumper does not do the best job of directing cool airflow to the brakes. So i am going to design some kind of front bumper airflow intake system fit for purpose. Also considering a lightweight 2 piece vented floating disc arrangement for my 330 GTA brake setup. Also looking into lightweight reclining sports seats. As the std clover items weigh an absolute tonne. Also considering having my wizard tailpipes redesigned into some slightly larger twin slash cut pipes that fill the aperture better.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Unless you're really careful, optimising for the track and the road will mean compromises for both. Might be time to get a dedicated track weapon?
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
So what next..

After the track day experience and being completely hooked, its time to concentrate on making her efficient for that purpose.

Have decided to create some more flow from my brakes. The GT bumper does not do the best job of directing cool airflow to the brakes. So i am going to design some kind of front bumper airflow intake system fit for purpose. Also considering a lightweight 2 piece vented floating disc arrangement for my 330 GTA brake setup. Also looking into lightweight reclining sports seats. As the std clover items weigh an absolute tonne. Also considering having my wizard tailpipes redesigned into some slightly larger twin slash cut pipes that fill the aperture better.

Damien.
Great idea and if you sell your original front seats then please let me know..

I know they would be in better than new condition!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Is there a diffferent set of pads or brake fluid that might be up to the job a bit more?

I can't think of a way of getting air flow to the brakes without cutting away the inner wheel covers and directing air flow that way
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
So what next..

Damien.
I m sure I ve read somewhere that warmer air is better for cooling brakes than cooler air, so if this is correct, you could redirect air from after your intercooler or air con rad. I ll have to try and find what I read . . .
(Post Link) post #558 of 612 Old 08-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Unless you're really careful, optimising for the track and the road will mean compromises for both. Might be time to get a dedicated track weapon?
Thanks mate understand. I am being especially careful to keep a balance. The chassis as she is now is as stiff as i will ever go. I really want to concentrate on the details in making her as efficient as she can be. And concentrating on the power to weight. And basically optimising what i have got. Really pleased how she performed on track, just a few niggles i need to work on in developing the car. All good.

warniegt. I am keeping all my cloverleaf bits buddy. As much as i would like them to go to another enthusiast. Autolusso have a Blackline interior in great condition at the moment.

Damien.
warniegt likes this.
(Post Link) post #559 of 612 Old 08-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Is there a diffferent set of pads or brake fluid that might be up to the job a bit more?

I can't think of a way of getting air flow to the brakes without cutting away the inner wheel covers and directing air flow that way
Cheers Scotty, Performance friction pads are on and Motul rbf 600 uprated fluid. She needs checking as something is up. Will let you know how i get on.

Going to have a look at the brake cooling situation when i have some time off work. Audi TTRS's have brake air deflectors fitted to their lower front arms? And i wonder if i could somehow find a way to retrofit them to my GT?

Also was considering a GT Alfa accessories sport bumper. It has huge front air intakes, unlike the oem bumper.

Mind is always busy coming up with new solutions and ideas..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 105 (1).jpg (187.3 KB, 34 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
I m sure I ve read somewhere that warmer air is better for cooling brakes than cooler air
I'll believe that when I see it!

Might be better for some other reason mind (e.g. keeping brakes warm when already at optimal operating temperature, but having sufficient airflow to cool the brakes at maximum heat loading).
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Wishbone deflectors might be a good start. Either that or its the good old fashioned tubing from the front of the car or underneath the car and onto the brakes.

I did remember you had a half decent set of pads and fluid. But thought I'd ask regardless if there were other options
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Might be better for some other reason mind (e.g. keeping brakes warm when already at optimal operating temperature, but having sufficient airflow to cool the brakes at maximum heat loading).
Yeah thats the sort of reason I was thinking.
(Post Link) post #563 of 612 Old 10-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Busy little day. made the decision to have my lovely 19x8 OZ superleggera's refurbished. Porsche sultry silver with machine polished outer lip. They should look classy. Also making centre badges so i can use my 55mm clover centre badges to at least keep the theme of the car. Then as my Clovers need new wubber, will fit a track day biased tyre on them.

Also took the boot seal off and gave it a good lube as it has dried and began to squeak slightly. Also the biggest relief of the day was locating a god awful loud vibration squeaking which i was 90% sure was top mount as the back of my car is open with the seat delete. Well turns out the bose subwoofer had completely loosened itself screws lower bolts and all!! Big relief that so suspension is fine. lol..

Also refitted my front headlamp Alfa lens protectors.

The car feels simply awesome at the moment. Really enjoying every minute behind the wheel. Hoping to book another track day soon.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 725ed5b8-03d9-4c66-a803-0c6dc4334f70_zpsqciccjrg (1).jpg (81.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg fe73c458-f43a-4150-a8cb-39d71e170647_zpsppdldssv (1).jpg (101.8 KB, 26 views)
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

Daimen...... wheres the front splitter from? Love the look of it
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Busy little day. made the decision to have my lovely 19x8 OZ superleggera's refurbished. Porsche sultry silver with machine polished outer lip. They should look classy. Also making centre badges so i can use my 55mm clover centre badges to at least keep the theme of the car. Then as my Clovers need new wubber, will fit a track day biased tyre on them.

Also took the boot seal off and gave it a good lube as it has dried and began to squeak slightly. Also the biggest relief of the day was locating a god awful loud vibration squeaking which i was 90% sure was top mount as the back of my car is open with the seat delete. Well turns out the bose subwoofer had completely loosened itself screws lower bolts and all!! Big relief that so suspension is fine. lol..

Also refitted my front headlamp Alfa lens protectors.

The car feels simply awesome at the moment. Really enjoying every minute behind the wheel. Hoping to book another track day soon.

Damien.
How much do those Superleggeras weigh ?
(Post Link) post #566 of 612 Old 15-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
How much do those Superleggeras weigh ?
The superleggera's weigh 20llbs
My clover wheels 24.5

Both weighed without tyres. I also weighed tyres, and the 19 inch tyres in 225/35/19 weigh less than my 225/40/18's.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
The superleggera's weigh 20llbs
My clover wheels 24.5

Both weighed without tyres. I also weighed tyres, and the 19 inch tyres in 225/35/19 weigh less than my 225/40/18's.

Damien.
Lbs !! - 9.07 kg, thats pretty light for 19s.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #568 of 612 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well a little thread update as i have been busy. Lots of new plans and ideas. Finally got my beautiful Superleggera's back from being refurbished, love them the finish is something else. And finally gives the car a bespoke race look i was after. I know this will upset the purists lol. OZ italian wheels were always going to be the way.

Also managed to fit the rear brace bar and net, again objective for some removing the heavy back seat, but what i wanted for the car to be as light as possible for track. Again gives the car from inside and out the character i was after.

Also work is going forward with the brake cooling upgrades, spoke with Ned and we are going to modify the front brake dust shields to incorporate a tube connector piece to attach hosing to and channel air from the front bumper grills. Simple but effective answer. Still looking into front discs, i was considering a 2 piece disc arrangement with alu bells. But i am not sure the effectiveness outweighs the price premium. So might go for some black anodised grooved black diamond 330's.

The rear of my chassis is going to have an ultra racing under brace, and will be powder coated red.

Then also on the cards is the much awaited map tweak on the dyno. Already another clover is running 260+ with my turbo so we are hoping for decent results for my engine when live mapped.

So all good. Absolutely love this GT, things are really coming together now. Attended National Alfa day yesterday. Was helping out on the Autolusso stand. Met and chatted with lots of fellow Alfisti's.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13646662_10157008982995411_1511082215_o.jpg (228.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg a695cab3-a968-45c0-9635-4ceeb64bf39e_zpsiclyc2ab (1).jpg (112.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 13558894_10155001823563135_1389401539060135350_o.jpg (132.1 KB, 47 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
I must say she is a beautiful looking car
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Those wheels look great. Much better than the cloverleaf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #571 of 612 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks mate. I do love them. Was so lucky to buy a set off a good mate of mine. They had been sitting years in his garage. Needed a good refurbish and the outer rim edge diamond cut, but it was so worth it. I know taking the clover wheels off the car will upset some purists but hey. I still have them and although not as striking on the car, i still love the clover wheel. I am actually contemplating removing the cloverleaf triangle wing badges as the car has taken on its own identity now, and does not have the cloverleaf image. Will see.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13584995_10155001801598135_4724955327739563431_o.jpg (127.4 KB, 26 views)
(Post Link) post #572 of 612 Old 15-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Fitted a nice little voltage meter to my boot area, managed to flush fit it to the rear light panel. Even comes on only when i open the boot.

Also began the fitment of my Audi TTRS wind stalling flaps. Idea being they cause a slight dam giving the brake area a much needed flow of air for when my car is on track. They took a fair amount of trimming and tailoring but i feel i am getting there. Will need to create a way to better attach them than the std audi fittings.

Also decided on a 12 groove front 330mm disc setup by black diamond, black protective finish to match my rears. After careful discussion gave the drilled option a miss. Unless the holes are cast the drilling process weakens the material. And especially for track use they would be prone to cracking.

Also sadly removed my cloverleaf 170 front wing triangles. They really did not go with the new look of the car. She looks clean and modded now, taken on her own identity.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2676.jpg (189.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bf6fa801-6687-496c-9f67-5e5cd8969ca8_zps98wzo6hd.JPG (393.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg eece0d33-4adb-4710-bae1-fcfb2367806d_zpsnlqudori.jpg (84.7 KB, 25 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Fitted a nice little voltage meter to my boot area, managed to flush fit it to the rear light panel. Even comes on only when i open the boot.

Also began the fitment of my Audi TTRS wind stalling flaps. Idea being they cause a slight dam giving the brake area a much needed flow of air for when my car is on track. They took a fair amount of trimming and tailoring but i feel i am getting there. Will need to create a way to better attach them than the std audi fittings.

Also decided on a 12 groove front 330mm disc setup by black diamond, black protective finish to match my rears. After careful discussion gave the drilled option a miss. Unless the holes are cast the drilling process weakens the material. And especially for track use they would be prone to cracking.

Also sadly removed my cloverleaf 170 front wing triangles. They really did not go with the new look of the car. She looks clean and modded now, taken on her own identity.

Damien.
Looks better without the triangles - historic they may be but I ve never liked them, a cloverleaf badge on its own like this looks better IMO :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 139696.jpg (42.6 KB, 10 views)
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Northumberland
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Second that. They really suit the car, looks absolutely stunning.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Fab looking car. Testimonial to your work and testing.

Small light modifications to the visuals don't normally work too well on alfas but yours have been subtle enough to give it a nice edge.

Still love the work in the tuning area too.

keep it going.
ALFADOIT likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year