Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 22 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
Could you use the Engine ECU from a fiat Stilo Abarth with a remap to suit a turbo?
Abarth also uses a bodycomputer the same as the 147/GT does, so it would be a potential option to use a paired Abarth ECU/Body computer/Key set, but I don't know anything about this ECU, I've never had anything to do with one. Its always difficult mapping N/A ECUs for boosted applications because they don't distinguish boost as a parameter, but not impossible..
ALFADOIT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
will def need a copy of multiscan and startrek..

just found this...

http://www.nailed-barnacle.co.uk/cou.../startrek.html

seems the fiat coupe 20vt shared the bosch M2.10.4 with the alfa 155/146/916/GTV and spider

I am starting to think this is going to be possible and not extremely difficult...can the Bosch M2.10.4 be adapted to recognise the Bosch body computer in the GT I wonder?

Last edited by joeymannero; 21-03-16 at 16:25.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
if you want to keep the OEM interior look you could go Hi-tec with that and plug in an elm 327 and have the desired parameters up on the screen of an android tab,

that way you can keep it all stock...
Joey,

What obd2 setup do you have, I'm having Ned set me up with a hybrid and I'd like to see real time data on how the turbo and engine are doing whilst the turbo is doing its thing.
AO Member

Quote:
I noticed a disctinct lack of lag after de-cating the down pipe, it should make a difference Damien and I expect it to be a surprise exactly how much!

I now have to finish my car mate, I can now feel what it doesn't have after riding shotgun in your clover, i also got destroyed by a BMW 520D today ,I suspect it was re-mapped as i had one as a courtesy car after my previous GT was written off and my GT is quicker than one in stock form for sure, none the less it was much quicker off the line although I think the GT handles better and is more fun to drive,

you would not have been taken apart in your car, so for me its now the FMIC and your hybrid..as well as the other small mods mentioned to enhance it will bring it up to where it should be.

yours is nearly perfect, in fact for anyone else I think it would be but I understand your desire to wring every last ounce of performance out of it and am looking forward to seeing what its like when you are happy...

honestly I have not felt acceleration like that in 5th gear a car since my mates RS6 its monstrous! a hell of a lot of torque and speed to match..

looking forward to getting all my bits done and the 19's on and the ''blackleaf'' will be finished.

I will find the engine blanket company I was thinking of going with, the blanket is designed to cancel out exactly the frequencies that distinguish a diesel from a petrol, if it works clack clack should be a thing of the past and replaced with a nice burble...

see you soon for those wheels !

Joe, how did you get on with the engine blanket company?
(Post Link) post #530 of 612 Old 21-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So little update from me.

Well i have been dealing with a stumbling block for a little while now. The clutch. Its been an ongoing issue with the power i am putting out and now with wmi fitted. Plus i needed a solution that would work in day to day traffic.

So a year ago i went with an organic stage one clutch, lovely feel and modulation. But after 5k miles it began to slip with the extra torque. So needed a solution. So next up a stage 2 item this time a twin fibre item we fitted with new DMF. Result a car that was very difficult to drive in traffic, much too harsh for day to day use and enjoyment of the car. Fine if you were to use the car solely for track days. And i was not prepared to put up with this on my GT.

I had been sceptical about going smf with my car. I had discussed this many times with Ned. And had each time decided to keep the dmf.

So after much deliberation and all the experience with my trials with other units i had an Autolusso fixed smf GTA clutch kit fitted yesterday. As you can imagine 3rd clutch in the space of a year i was apprehensive of the results. Well folks i need not have worried. When i took her for a drive i was over the moon. Oem pedal modulation and take up, no extra noise from the car at idle with the smf. The clutch pulls like a freight train. And the added bonus, i was aware of but not sure i would actually feel in the way the car drove. The way the car revs much freer with the much lighter smf, mid to high rev progression and acceleration seems faster than before. I could not have been happier on the drive home last night.

Final piece of my modding jigsaw in place, i have a dependable solid performing GT. I have to say Autolusso have been brilliant, always willing to discuss my modification ideas with excellent knowledge and guidance from Ned. One thing i respect about Autolusso is they get to know their customers, and understand what they want to achieve ultimately with their projects. From my point of view, it makes it such an enjoyable process to develop your machine, and hit and achieve the level you are after with your project.

So after 2 years of outlay, trials and tribulations finally i am at a great place with my GT. I won't kid you it has been testing at times. But now i am here, and how the car performs in every area, i can say it was all worth it. It was my dream with this car to create a great all round balanced machine. And i feel i have achieved this. All the big jobs having been done now. Sure i have lots more little jobs i want to do to her, buts its nice to know the major upgrades have now been addressed.

I still have to get her dyno'd and her map adjusted properly soon, what with the wmi and full stainless exhaust system having been fitted. I also had uprated motul brake fluid yesterday as i will be doing some track days this summer.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12983823_10153592810149639_1748042054558889862_o.jpg (271.6 KB, 36 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Third in a year! Ouch

Does the pedal feel similar to press, in terms of pressure, versus the original clutch? I can't stand a heavy clutch with a dodgy back.

Happy you're pleased with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Northumberland
Really glad to see the SMF and GTA clutch kit has went well 3 clutches in a year is tough to take!

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your progress with this, I've already been in touch with Pud and seems we've both been taking a keen interest in how you're getting on. I'll be well in need of a new clutch by autumn time.

I'm currently running an Autolusso remap at about 200bhp after initially being at around 220bhp, but there was no way the clutch was taking that for any long period of time so it was wisely reined in. Would love to get it back to the 220/225 mark when I inevitably get the SMF and GTA clutch fitted later this year
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #533 of 612 Old 21-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDan1986 View Post
Really glad to see the SMF and GTA clutch kit has went well 3 clutches in a year is tough to take!

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your progress with this, I've already been in touch with Pud and seems we've both been taking a keen interest in how you're getting on. I'll be well in need of a new clutch by autumn time.

I'm currently running an Autolusso remap at about 200bhp after initially being at around 220bhp, but there was no way the clutch was taking that for any long period of time so it was wisely reined in. Would love to get it back to the 220/225 mark when I inevitably get the SMF and GTA clutch fitted later this year

T3yls yes indeed mate its been a bloody expensive nightmare. I can honestly say clutch modulation pressure and take up on the Autolusso fixed smf gta setup is the same as oem and my stage 1 organic unit.
Even the stage 2 unit twin fibre unit slipped on the drive home, when i had it fitted, before it was properly worn in. The Autolusso unit has 0 slip on the drive home last night, at all. Dan i firmly believe and am very happy to say, this is without doubt the answer for the hybrid turbo setup, without sacrificing the comfort of oem feel.

Damien.
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
T3yls yes indeed mate its been a bloody expensive nightmare. I can honestly say clutch modulation pressure and take up on the Autolusso fixed smf gta setup is the same as oem and my stage 1 organic unit.
Even the stage 2 unit twin fibre unit slipped on the drive home, when i had it fitted, before it was properly worn in. The Autolusso unit has 0 slip on the drive home last night, at all. Dan i firmly believe and am very happy to say, this is without doubt the answer for the hybrid turbo setup, without sacrificing the comfort of oem feel.

Damien.
Good result by the sounds of it!

Looking forward to hearing updates in a few months time once you've gotten it bedded in and tested thoroughly... Will likely be where I end up going when my clutch goes out...

So is it the GTA SMF with the same Stage 1 clutch you were running, or GTA SMF with Ned's choice of GTA clutch?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #535 of 612 Old 21-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Good result by the sounds of it!

Looking forward to hearing updates in a few months time once you've gotten it bedded in and tested thoroughly... Will likely be where I end up going when my clutch goes out...

So is it the GTA SMF with the same Stage 1 clutch you were running, or GTA SMF with Ned's choice of GTA clutch?
Ed its the Autolusso fixed smf GTA kit they sell with their hybrid turbo conversions.

My Stage one organic unit is up for sale, be fine for any GT running up to 200bhp.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #536 of 612 Old 25-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Managed to fit my new billet GT tuning boost gauge and as i had to remove the windscreen trim fitted my new alu screw studs. Thanks for the info for routing the boost tubing from the engine bay guys. Neatly installed and routed behind the bulkhead carpet for a stealth fit.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47bfd529-6974-4481-8272-ef1d71bbeeca_zpszj5mpgf5.jpg (72.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 37712099-e5eb-4ef4-b06c-b701f2ac67c3_zpslctrhmxs.jpg (126.5 KB, 40 views)
(Post Link) post #537 of 612 Old 27-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So found a little stone dent on my front Alfa badge today. So not being able to cope with FBD..front badge damage..lol decided to replace with the new 2016 Alfa emblem style, as i had the 2 badges in my possession. Looks different. The red in the new style badge matches my whisker stripes perfectly. Still not sure if i don't prefer the older style badge? Also bought a dremel and tile cutting saw piece, to be able to cut my Cobalt carbon sills to size, for fitting this weekend.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91439faf-ce25-44fb-8123-713a56596321_zps5ueeeepr.jpg (163.1 KB, 42 views)
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

Quote:
So found a little stone dent on my front Alfa badge today. So not being able to cope with FBD..front badge damage..lol decided to replace with the new 2016 Alfa emblem style, as i had the 2 badges in my possession. Looks different. The red in the new style badge matches my whisker stripes perfectly. Still not sure if i don't prefer the older style badge? Also bought a dremel and tile cutting saw piece, to be able to cut my Cobalt carbon sills to size, for fitting this weekend.

Damien.
Shiny and new Looks good!
I keep looking at new badges as mine are faded. Im drawn to the black and silver ones at the moment.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
I have the new style badge on the rear of my Gt as the other one was really faded, couldn't quiet bring myself to replace the original style on the front yet especially as it is great condition
VO2Max

Quote:
I can honestly say clutch modulation pressure and take up on the Autolusso fixed smf gta setup is the same as oem and my stage 1 organic unit.

...this is without doubt the answer for the hybrid turbo setup, without sacrificing the comfort of oem feel.

Damien.

Well that's very interesting Damien, I'm running a 192bhp/440Nm Red Dot remap and when I had my clutch replaced at Autolusso a while ago, Ned tried to gently steer me towards the GTA SMF. I was reluctant because I felt sure there would be some judder in traffic.

I ended up with a 'standard' Cloverleaf 170 DMF which has been fine so far, although I'm not always heavy with my right foot and my annual mileage is vastly reduced these days.

I shall definitely consider it in the future though, as and when required.

(Post Link) post #541 of 612 Old 29-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Well that's very interesting Damien, I'm running a 192bhp/440Nm Red Dot remap and when I had my clutch replaced at Autolusso a while ago, Ned tried to gently steer me towards the GTA SMF. I was reluctant because I felt sure there would be some judder in traffic.

I ended up with a 'standard' Cloverleaf 170 DMF which has been fine so far, although I'm not always heavy with my right foot and my annual mileage is vastly reduced these days.

I shall definitely consider it in the future though, as and when required.
No negatives. And god knows believe me i have tried everything. No judder in traffic, lovely pedal action and modulation. Can fully recommend the smf Autolusso setup.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #542 of 612 Old 31-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So update to my thread. Have been preparing the car for its first major track event this week at Snetterton. After a few months of collecting the necessary parts, today i decided to put together my rear brace bar kit today. Fabricated the brackets and used the oem rear seat bracket fixings for the bar. Also used a dremel to cut the trim neatly around the receiving bar brackets, so everything fit nicely. I am going to have the rear netting made now to complete the seat delete look.

Will be joining my friends who have mostly tuned TTRS's on track, be interesting to experience how the car copes with a track day. I love her chassis and its intuitive feel, and i hope that translated on track too. Brakes, chassis and power, cooling all properly sorted now so i don't see why not.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091ed9af-8d22-4330-bbd4-f95c70de6ccf_zpsxlvgqakc.jpg (108.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg d74e6c65-ffbd-4a36-b665-275cde944267_zpszm0v8ig6.jpg (122.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 691df832-dc45-461a-a2e4-233e40b5c4ca_zps7zfnhzlw.jpg (117.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 74247c5a-cbc5-4575-88ed-1e828c3b592e_zpsynfu2ylu.jpg (95.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg d0f8bf10-ac0e-4c85-b288-a8047d812b87_zpsok0pfr7k (1).jpg (140.5 KB, 26 views)
(Post Link) post #543 of 612 Old 04-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Did my first track day this week at Snetterton. Bloody loved it. The car was awesome. No unexpected surprises, chassis was so well controlled on the limit. This chassis never ceases to amaze me. I kept off some known fast machines on the straights too. I am hooked. Hopefully planning the next one soon.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LHP_1144.jpg (118.6 KB, 27 views)
tejay, t3yls, JS JTD and 2 others like this.
AO Member

I guess that's the ultimate test and its an A* for your project. Where would you say she really showed her true potential, straights or cornering. Which modification has made the most difference?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #545 of 612 Old 04-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
I guess that's the ultimate test and its an A* for your project. Where would you say she really showed her true potential, straights or cornering. Which modification has made the most difference?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Great question. For me its the way she responds in the corners, so sure footed, and predictable, its quite something the level of grip and balance of this chassis and how hard i can push her. Gives me so much confidence. But the way the engine delivers its power, so readily available out on track, and she really was able to bolt out of corners. On the straights i was able to hold off easily stripped out E36 M3's.
My aim was to create and all round well balanced machine. And i am satisfied i have achieved this. I unfortunately had a problem with my brakes on the day, cooling problem. Which we will be looking into and solving. . It was certainly the ultimate test of endurance, and i was very proud of how she ran.

The mod that has made the most difference, well tough question, as i have reviewed and changed every area of the car. Obviously the chassis first, yet the extra power the engine and turbo is reliably creating is an essential part of the whole package. So its really hard to pick just one. Also now i wouldn't own a turbo car without having water meth injection fitted. You can absolutely tell the difference it makes to performance, with the added bonus of keeping things cool on track.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13346751_10154914046623135_2627013368120992169_n.jpg (49.3 KB, 22 views)
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Did my first track day this week at Snetterton. Bloody loved it. The car was awesome. No unexpected surprises, chassis was so well controlled on the limit. This chassis never ceases to amaze me. I kept off some known fast machines on the straights too. I am hooked. Hopefully planning the next one soon.

Damien.
absolutely delighted for you buddy..

you have planned and executed a stunning machine, really good to hear she kept up with some of the big boys, all the more satisfying because in stock form it was not ever a contender..you must be over the moon, and rightly so.

I am very interested to see what you do to tackle the brake overheat issue, being able to brake later into the corners is worth a lot of time so however quick you were I imagine there is more to be had..
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Had the dent guy come over today and have to say he did an awesome job on the car park dings on the drivers side door, I now have a dent free GT!

if anyone in the Surrey area needs a good paintless dent repair guy get in touch and I will forward his number.

also just got my Gummiphledge and headlight restoration kit in the post,along with some new bonnets for my MOP.

My 180 deg intercooler pipe is winging its way from Holland as we speak so the next couple of weeks will see some full on detailing along with the fitting of my FMIC and then on the 6th July over to Ned at Autolusso for the SMF and GTA clutch conversion.

have also just ordered some new boots for the girl and this time have gone with Kumho KU39's all round. an expensive but very exciting month ahead..!

we will then push the hybrid to it's full potential..I expect around 240 ponies when its all done ..
baxter2308 likes this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:

My 180 deg intercooler pipe is winging its way from Holland as we speak so the next couple of weeks will see some full on detailing along with the fitting of my FMIC and then on the 6th July over to Ned at Autolusso for the SMF and GTA clutch conversion.
So is that gonna be a generic FMIC kit with a custom 180 pipe to turn the turbo outlet around?

Work out much cheaper than the JTD-Performance kit?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
So is that gonna be a generic FMIC kit with a custom 180 pipe to turn the turbo outlet around?

Work out much cheaper than the JTD-Performance kit?
yes and a shed load... although must say Joel was kind enough to supply me just the 180..

The generics have 2x 90s, 2x 45s, 2x straight mandrels and loads of straight couplers. I had to order some other silicone bits (57mm-51mm reducer) and some other angles but even so its about half the price, you could even do it without the 180 by using 2 short 90's and a short piece of straight mandrel but that would not be good for airflow.

the IC itself is excellent quality and the result will be the same in the end , I have already made the mounting brackets and modified the airbox to make room for the the IC piping .

had to be done as on the couple of hot days we had the drop in performance was obvious, enough to tell me that when the map gets pushed and the boost levels go up the cooling will be vital.

have also decided to wrap rather than paint the wing mirrors ,grille and door handles, a lot less agg than painting and as I am having interior grab handles and door switches carbon fibre wrapped I am getting a good price on the lot..

ps , ed the 180 is to go around the bulkhead to the IC in, off the turbo outlet is the 90 reducer which will attach to another 90 before going to a straight pipe past the fan housing..
_The_Editor_ likes this.

Last edited by joeymannero; 04-06-16 at 16:14.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:

Damien.
Looks good, I did all 7 badges on mine, including the steering wheel one.

A word of warning, the ally used on the badges corrodes easily, so I d apply a few coats of lacquer or theyll be a right mess in 12 months time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year