Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 21 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #501 of 612 Old 03-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
As a tribute you've done him proud mate.
Thanks Paddy...means a lot mate..

Damien.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #502 of 612 Old 03-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So a few pics from today.. Fitting of bling.. And how the tail lights are coming along.. The red translucent paint is now on. They need sanding down again before the lacquer stage, checked the orange effect by shining a bulb behind them and the orange is still present when the bulb is on. So all good. This tinting process takes patience and time but gives the best results when done.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12695037_10154558283998135_4932085918163333665_o.jpg (114.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 12622418_10154558296558135_4834273349201044722_o.jpg (123.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 12640495_10154558291643135_4465399559779025447_o.jpg (76.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 12640318_10154558285088135_2460361599741097429_o.jpg (38.8 KB, 39 views)
Fidge and joeymannero like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Hi All,

thought i would update on the fitting of my hybrid turbo!

er

wow!

what a difference, not subtle at all. night and day. its as simple as that really, the car is currently still on the ''original remap'' from Autolusso south so when I go to red dot next week I fully expect a fantastic result!

pulls like a train all the way up the rev range and is very ''meaty'' throttle response is improved as well but i am fully aware I have 20% to come.

if you are thinking about this mod ..do it, BTW I now have a standard Garrett Turbo for sale, it is in good condition, no sticky vanes,just a very slight bit of play in the shaft, as is will easy cover another 30k but it would be better utilised as a donor turbo for a hybrid conversion.

very big thanks to all the lads at AL south for doing a fantastic Job, today they fitted the new turbo, Maf and map sensors, a new waste gate solenoid switch ,replaced all the vac hoses, fitted my modded airbox with the K&N and of course oil and filter...they even welded a couple of leaks on the downpipe.

when I got back the car as washed and ready to go..

I have a feeling for MY set -up I am correct about my feeling that the FMIC is not required...if I were intending to track the car, then hell yes! it makes sense but as is my driving style means I am not on full boost for long enough to be concerned with heat soak.

especially in our climate.

stainless steel turbo pipes are the most likely option for me, i may at some point look into an upgrade for the stock cooler,maybe something with the same external size but internally more efficient.

Damien ,thanks for the heads up on the Turbo dynamics hybrid, you were exactly right with this, it is a hell of an addition to these fantastic cars
Pud237, ALFADOIT and ChrissyD like this.
(Post Link) post #504 of 612 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
Hi All,

er

wow!

what a difference, not subtle at all. night and day. its as simple as that really, the car is currently still on the ''original remap'' from Autolusso south so when I go to red dot next week I fully expect a fantastic result!

pulls like a train all the way up the rev range and is very ''meaty'' throttle response is improved as well but i am fully aware I have 20% to come.

if you are thinking about this mod ..do it, BTW I now have a standard Garrett Turbo for sale, it is in good condition, no sticky vanes,just a very slight bit of play in the shaft, as is will easy cover another 30k but it would be better utilised as a donor turbo for a hybrid conversion.

very big thanks to all the lads at AL south for doing a fantastic Job, today they fitted the new turbo, Maf and map sensors, a new waste gate solenoid switch ,replaced all the vac hoses, fitted my modded airbox with the K&N and of course oil and filter...they even welded a couple of leaks on the downpipe.

I have a feeling for MY set -up I am correct about my feeling that the FMIC is not required...if I were intending to track the car, then hell yes! it makes sense but as is my driving style means I am not on full boost for long enough to be concerned with heat soak.

stainless steel turbo pipes are the most likely option for me, i may at some point look into an upgrade for the stock cooler,maybe something with the same external size but internally more efficient.

Damien ,thanks for the heads up on the Turbo dynamics hybrid, you were exactly right with this, it is a hell of an addition to these fantastic cars
Really happy for you Joe.

And yes its a game changer. But you will notice more heat soak in the warmer weather for sure with the std cooler. I am having wmi fitted soon on top of my FMIC, after my new stage 2 clutch and fly are fitted.
I would fit your new FMIC for sure, no questions no hesitations!

Really look forward to your red dot map day. I really hope the std clutch holds out a little longer than mine did. Also don't forget to mention about what we discussed, about keeping things very steady around and just before and after the 3k mark! Joel's big turbo 5oonm monster has the same if not less than stock boost map at this point, to ease pressure on the clutch and transmission.

Its all good mate.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Hi All,

er

wow!

Have you replaced your pre-cat with a straight through pipe yet? If not, you ought to get that done before you remap. As without this cat, you can make the same boost using a little less VNT %, which means an easier path for the exhaust gas through the turbine housing, and a little less work for the crank to do to push it all through. If you change the pre-cat after mapping, then you can sometimes get overboost.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Have you replaced your pre-cat with a straight through pipe yet? If not, you ought to get that done before you remap. As without this cat, you can make the same boost using a little less VNT %, which means an easier path for the exhaust gas through the turbine housing, and a little less work for the crank to do to push it all through. If you change the pre-cat after mapping, then you can sometimes get overboost.
yup already done Pud..

am going to give Paulo a shout today to book in at red dot...spent this morning fitting my replacement connects2 bluetooth interface and success! works great and I managed to route the mic round the back past the front of the OBD11 port behind the steering wheel up to the A pillar.

used a chopstick and some cotton thread, I am sure other methods are equally efficient...

I have some fresh black and silver bonnet and boot badges to go on soon, so the final push with the car will be in the summer when the weather warms up, I will then paint the calipers (most likely red ,but other suggestions welcome) and re-furb the wheels.

TBH I would love a set of cloverleaf wheels as I am not a huge fan of the blackline ones, I would probably even prefer some 18'' jet fins. maybe just going for a nice dark grey on the re-furb will get them where I want.

really like your 19''s Damien but I just think they will be harsh on the badly maintained surrey and London roads, If i lived on a Golf course though I wouldn't think twice...
Pud237 likes this.
(Post Link) post #507 of 612 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
yup already done Pud..

am going to give Paulo a shout today to book in at red dot...spent this morning fitting my replacement connects2 bluetooth interface and success! works great and I managed to route the mic round the back past the front of the OBD11 port behind the steering wheel up to the A pillar.

used a chopstick and some cotton thread, I am sure other methods are equally efficient...

I have some fresh black and silver bonnet and boot badges to go on soon, so the final push with the car will be in the summer when the weather warms up, I will then paint the calipers (most likely red ,but other suggestions welcome) and re-furb the wheels.

TBH I would love a set of cloverleaf wheels as I am not a huge fan of the blackline ones, I would probably even prefer some 18'' jet fins. maybe just going for a nice dark grey on the re-furb will get them where I want.

really like your 19''s Damien but I just think they will be harsh on the badly maintained surrey and London roads, If i lived on a Golf course though I wouldn't think twice...
Joe me old mucker..Ride quality on my 19's wearing 235/35/19's was just the same as my 18's wearing 225/40/18's. You know i wouldn't bull **** you.. And yes i was a tad surprised. Only little detail was slight tram lining on certain road surfaces..

I also have a set of jetfins in my possession. They need a refurb though. ;-) Such sexy wheels

Damien.
(Post Link) post #508 of 612 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well been busy finishing off my tail lights today. To keep you up to speed, i never liked the orange tinge in the lense. So after a little research and study, i decided to get the translucent paint to tint them red. This job takes time to do properly and get the right finish. You need to have motivation and the patience of a saint. Lots of time wet sanding the finish after paint and lacquer stages. And leaving the newly sprayed surface to harden.

Anyhow today saw the last phase, final wet sanding and compound polish. And they really have come up very well. Took a few photos to show you the difference in my old and newly painted lense. I can honestly say the finished article has the smooth finish of the oem lense. Also with the wet sanding process i removed any raised letters on the plastic lense. And yes the indicators still flash orange. You have to be mindful of how many coats of translucent red you apply. I only applied 2 coats, and that was enough. The lacquer does a nice job of slightly darkening them anyhow.

Sorry i have no better pictures of her, i was caught out by darkness.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12697113_10154562666648135_3176056021252405522_o.jpg (124.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 12615211_10154563026683135_4738177074549378325_o.jpg (61.7 KB, 26 views)
edraven71 likes this.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Alfadoit, I know you've been doing a lot of clutch research.
Check out the latest video on the mcm2tv youtube channel from Mighty Car Mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYYAufu9MA

They are discussing some clutch bling for a V8 turbo build to be used as a daily. I found it interesting...
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Damien..

You have mail...
(Post Link) post #511 of 612 Old 18-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well thought it was time to do a little update.

I was down in Hamshire last weekend to have a WMI kit fitted to my GT. Something i had planned for a while now. But with one thing or another and other more important issues with my GT's progress this little treat had to be kept till now. Its a really neat install. Most which is hidden in the redundant wheel well area in my boot area. With the car being gutted of the rear seat in preparation soon of a rear brace bar being fabricated and fitted, it was a lot easier to fit and route the wmi connections through the car. Then the injector is neatly plumbed into my stainless JTD performance inlet manifold elbow. And a boost tap line also was made from the pipe to the systems boost sensor/controller. Again really neatly fitted in my bay.

So do i feel the difference, in a word yes definitely so. And this even before the car is properly mapped and collaborated. Any project involving higher boost levels and more capable turbo's could really benefit from a quality WMI kit.

I have to be honest my GT must be begging to be set up properly, since the fitment of higher flowing exhaust system and now the meth/ water injection system. I am really looking forward to seeing what we can achieve when she is live mapped. First things first the new clutch and fly have to be fitted. And then with Ned's help at Autolusso, we can begin to properly firstly find out how she is running on a dyno hub, and how best to get some more healthy safe power with the mods presently fitted to the car. I have a 3bar map sensor to be fitted before that too.

Also soon i am hoping to revisit Wizard to have a smaller back box made. We fitted a backbox to her as she was far too vocal on hard acceleration with a straight through pipe. But now she is a tad too quiet for my liking. So fingers crossed we can strike the right balance. Also hoping to have a lovely stainless brace bar made in the rear seat deleted area.

In the meantime the car has been simply awesome. A joy to drive. After all the problems i had in the beginning, its been nice to have a bit of time away from the workshop. Was much needed to be honest. And my trust and confidence in the car has really grown. Everything seems to be working together beautifully. Lets hope it continues.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10389131_1018937524866401_3860265731480185762_n.jpg (88.5 KB, 39 views)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Well thought it was time to do a little update.

I was down in Hamshire last weekend to have a WMI kit fitted to my GT. Something i had planned for a while now. But with one thing or another and other more important issues with my GT's progress this little treat had to be kept till now. Its a really neat install. Most which is hidden in the redundant wheel well area in my boot area. With the car being gutted of the rear seat in preparation soon of a rear brace bar being fabricated and fitted, it was a lot easier to fit and route the wmi connections through the car. Then the injector is neatly plumbed into my stainless JTD performance inlet manifold elbow. And a boost tap line also was made from the pipe to the systems boost sensor/controller. Again really neatly fitted in my bay.

So do i feel the difference, in a word yes definitely so. And this even before the car is properly mapped and collaborated. Any project involving higher boost levels and more capable turbo's could really benefit from a quality WMI kit.

I have to be honest my GT must be begging to be set up properly, since the fitment of higher flowing exhaust system and now the meth/ water injection system. I am really looking forward to seeing what we can achieve when she is live mapped. First things first the new clutch and fly have to be fitted. And then with Ned's help at Autolusso, we can begin to properly firstly find out how she is running on a dyno hub, and how best to get some more healthy safe power with the mods presently fitted to the car. I have a 3bar map sensor to be fitted before that too.

Also soon i am hoping to revisit Wizard to have a smaller back box made. We fitted a backbox to her as she was far too vocal on hard acceleration with a straight through pipe. But now she is a tad too quiet for my liking. So fingers crossed we can strike the right balance. Also hoping to have a lovely stainless brace bar made in the rear seat deleted area.

In the meantime the car has been simply awesome. A joy to drive. After all the problems i had in the beginning, its been nice to have a bit of time away from the workshop. Was much needed to be honest. And my trust and confidence in the car has really grown. Everything seems to be working together beautifully. Lets hope it continues.

Damien.
looking good mate,

after all of the issues and your continued perseverance despite some significant set backs its good to see it is coming together for you, well deserved....

Modding cars isn't always a straight road and there will be some unexpected's along the way, I followed you along the route with my project and still ran into trouble, only my insistence and 100% certainty that things were not right despite what I was being told + willingness to throw money at it to prove it resulted in the desired outcome..have to say once again couldn't have done it without Ned either.

your ''flap incident'' in the beginning took the biscuit and would probably have stopped most people from proceeding any further, the warranty company refusing to honour their commitment is a shocker and proof that these days given the trend for dealers to farm out the warranty to a third party a private sale with some checks and preferably a health check prior to purchase may now well be the best way to buy a used car....Veloces should be ashamed of themselves. ALL of the cost of that incident should have been covered by the warranty company or them.

however you kept the faith even through the clutch issues (which I understand are soon to be resolved courtesy of Joel at JTD perfomance)and now you are close to perfection...

Good on you buddy.

if not for people pushing the envelope no one would know what these or any car might be capable of outside of the factory intended performance levels.

I look forward to a full report in the coming months when everything is completed, really looking forward to seeing the results of the hub dyno run.

keep us all posted.
ALFADOIT and ChrissyD like this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
(Post Link) post #513 of 612 Old 18-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Thanks Joe really nice reply mate.

Feel i am getting to a place i intended to be now. As you well know that feeling yourself..

You get to a point in a project and you take a step back to reflect all you have had done. And you realise how far removed from the factory product your machine has become.
I had a lovely drive back through the Hampshire back roads the other day after having the meth kit fitted. The evening sun was setting, the roads were empty and the GT and i were completely as one, connected. The car felt amazing. And it all made sense.

Alfa know how to make drivers machines, to engage. To submit the mechanical crisp feedback of a car to its driver. Feedback of the car , the absolute clear information through your body. Its why i drive an Alfa.

So just trying to book her in with Ned for the clutch job. Then we can get her properly set up. Hoping to do a few track days this summer. I need to fit a proper boost gauge too, and oil temp gauge. Need to be able to properly monitor what is going on with the engine. No more guesswork. Especially when i am out on track.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Thanks Joe really nice reply mate.

Feel i am getting to a place i intended to be now. As you well know that feeling yourself..

You get to a point in a project and you take a step back to reflect all you have had done. And you realise how far removed from the factory product your machine has become.
I had a lovely drive back through the Hampshire back roads the other day after having the meth kit fitted. The evening sun was setting, the roads were empty and the GT and i were completely as one, connected. The car felt amazing. And it all made sense.

Alfa know how to make drivers machines, to engage. To submit the mechanical crisp feedback of a car to its driver. Feedback of the car , the absolute clear information through your body. Its why i drive an Alfa.

So just trying to book her in with Ned for the clutch job. Then we can get her properly set up. Hoping to do a few track days this summer. I need to fit a proper boost gauge too, and oil temp gauge. Need to be able to properly monitor what is going on with the engine. No more guesswork. Especially when i am out on track.

Damien.
if you want to keep the OEM interior look you could go Hi-tec with that and plug in an elm 327 and have the desired parameters up on the screen of an android tab,

that way you can keep it all stock...
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #515 of 612 Old 20-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

This has been mentioned before by myself and today for the first time i see it and hear it. OMFG!

This has to be done to my car one day. Suddenly the realisation of keeping my GT for the rest of my life comes into view..lol.. This 20v 5cld and a GT is a marriage made in Italian heaven. This needs to happen. Careful research will be needed.

Damien.https://www.facebook.com/groups/1971837249709160/
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

Cant use the link..not on FB.

5cyl 2.4 diesel or the 5cyl 2.0 petrol from the fiat coupe ...?

think the 2.0 would be awesome due to the weight being more or less the same as the 1.9 4 pot, they can push out 300 bhp all day long with the stock internals and there are a couple of monster coupes I know of pushing 450 BHP ..turbo upgrade required and maybe the gearbox ratio's would be wrong for the petrol but i am sure the 6 speed box in the turbo plus models would work,plus the viscodrive is a brilliant bit of kit and is the reason the coupes don't often suffer diff failure even when highly tuned.

I have always thought the 5cyl diesel would be a heavy thing for the GT, another 500cc and at a guesstimate probably another 60kg in the wrong place given the weight distribution on the Gt is already front biased I am not convinced on the derv option.

LOVE the idea of a 5 cyl petrol in the GT though, what a match made in heaven that would be...is it do-able ? haven't a clue and I suspect it will be difficult on the ECU side of things because the coupe uses a magnetti Marelli system that will not be compatible with the Bosch ECU body computer or canbus system.

I am sure someone with a working knowledge of these systems could work out how to do it though.
ChrissyD likes this.

Last edited by joeymannero; 20-03-16 at 22:08.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Cant use the link..not on FB.

5cyl 2.4 diesel or the 5cyl 2.0 petrol from the fiat coupe ...?
5cyl 20vt from the fiat coupe.. Stonking engine, I fully endorse Damien's quest to get one in the front of his Clover

Worth it just for that awesome exhaust noise....
AO Silver Member

Got two coupes...

And actually access to 3 turbo engines...

Fully agree they are fantastic.. !
(Post Link) post #519 of 612 Old 20-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Joe tried to find the vid on youtube for you but failed!!

Here is a pic. This is my ultimate dream build for sure. Would take years of planning and working out. Finding a good 20v 5cld and having it sorted before going in the bay would be amazing. You have both at this point in time Joe. Just saying..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12717224_1545492269112966_6784330922778125275_n.jpg (83.9 KB, 29 views)
ChrissyD likes this.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Agreed, absolute gem of an engine. Drove one a couple of years ago and was blown away with the power delivery. No idea if it would work in a GT. Damien - get cracking mate!!
Chris
AO Silver Member

easy enough to find out,

GT's are cheap enough if you buy the JTS, I suspect the gearbox engine and engine management would all go anyway so a JTS would make a good cheap donor car, a very high mileage one would be under a grand..or even better one with a banjaxed engine would be REALLY cheap 500 quite possible .

coupe turbo engine can be had for 300 ..while the engine is out wishbones and suspension could all be addressed....doing a rough guesstimate in my head I reckon 2k for the car, engine and all the suspension upgrades, total project figure 3k is do-able of you do all the work yourself.

my only question is how to get the coupe turbo engine management to work with the GT dash instrumentation,and can you leave the body computer running along side a change in the engine ECU? they have to ''speak to each other'' so there are a couple of unknowns here.

Damien, can you ask the FB boys how they got around it?

and yes I do have both damien..

but the GT once the horrible stock suspension is sorted is IMO the better handling car, hence the reason the coupe is at a mates house, I don't drive it much as its due a cambelt and to really unleash it it needs the same sort of treatment the GT has had..I also think the GT is prettier on the outside....

some kind of suspension upgrades are needed on the coupe and I would also do something with the center console as it looks very dated. the interior is beautiful though, the color coded dash is lovely, classic pininfarina ! I am not so keen on the scallops in the body work, Chris Bangles Clumsy hands have left their mark I'm afraid...the car to me would always have been more attractive without the scallops. the man is a menace IMO and ruined the Z4 with those scallops as well.

overall the GT is more classy and better suited to a man in his 40's, the coupe kind of screams mid life crisis! and is not as practical on a daily basis...the main issue with this project is that the cost of doing it for most people means you might as well go and buy a Busso to begin with, the fact its possible is evidence of another missed opportunity by the FIAT group to give the GT a petrol engine that would have suited it so well.

I imagine emissions controls put pay to that and forced a wholesale change to derv in the 5cyl.

give me a minute chaps, I may do this!

I first have to help re-build the VIS coupe engine for my mates son, and then help him with a troublesome Z3, and do the cam belt on the Turbo. That should bring us to June and then we will be looking for a project to do, we were planning a TS GTV but this coupe engine in a GT idea may well be a lot more fun!

we have the tools, the engine winch and private space to work (outside hence the summer nature of the project) it all depends on whether the right donor GT shows up.

will have a chat with him about this today and see if he is amenable to the idea..

watch this space!
Club Member
Membro Premio

I imagine just leaving the JTS ECU, body computer and wiring intact would be the way to proceed, so the GT thinks it is in the "ignition on, engine off" state. Installing enough loom from the Coupe to run the 20VT ECU without integrating it into the GT's loom other than for the bare minimum - earths, permanent live, switched live, ignition barrel, then the 20VT ECU can run the engine with little interference. The dash is driven by the bodycomputer in the GT - basically engine sensor talks to engine ECU, engine ECU talks to body computer, body computer drives outputs to the gauges. Coolant temp would be easily sorted as you could mount the JTS coolant temp sensor in one of the 20VTs coolant pipes, but leave the original 20VT coolant sensor in place to talk to the 20VT loom. Speedo is driven by the ABS module, so should still work. 20VT ECU is non-OBD, so you're not going to get the OBD port working. It would be nice to get the engine management light connected to the 20VT ECU but that might prove difficult unless hardwired in. Obviously there's loads more to think about - I don't think the cruise control will ever work - you're going to need a cable pedal box installing unless you use the throttle pot to drive a stepper motor which pulls the 20VT throttlebody open and closed, and then there's the rev counter which I believe is driven by the bodycomputer in the 147/GT rather than driven by the ignition pulses like in the 156 & Fiat Coupe.

Actually getting the lump in the engine bay shouldn't be too hard, you'll need parts from a 156 2.4 10v JTD to use for driveshafts, engine mount, gearbox mount, stuff like that. That'll mean binning off the Viscodrive but you can fit a Quaife to the 20VT gearbox and use driveshaft seal carriers from the Alfa V6/JTD box.

Someone's gotta do it. I've been thinking about doing it for years in a 156, but far too busy at the moment just fixing customer's cars.
joeymannero likes this.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I imagine just leaving the JTS ECU, body computer and wiring intact would be the way to proceed, so the GT thinks it is in the "ignition on, engine off" state. Installing enough loom from the Coupe to run the 20VT ECU without integrating it into the GT's loom other than for the bare minimum - earths, permanent live, switched live, ignition barrel, then the 20VT ECU can run the engine with little interference. The dash is driven by the bodycomputer in the GT - basically engine sensor talks to engine ECU, engine ECU talks to body computer, body computer drives outputs to the gauges. Coolant temp would be easily sorted as you could mount the JTS coolant temp sensor in one of the 20VTs coolant pipes, but leave the original 20VT coolant sensor in place to talk to the 20VT loom. Speedo is driven by the ABS module, so should still work. 20VT ECU is non-OBD, so you're not going to get the OBD port working. It would be nice to get the engine management light connected to the 20VT ECU but that might prove difficult unless hardwired in. Obviously there's loads more to think about - I don't think the cruise control will ever work - you're going to need a cable pedal box installing unless you use the throttle pot to drive a stepper motor which pulls the 20VT throttlebody open and closed, and then there's the rev counter which I believe is driven by the bodycomputer in the 147/GT rather than driven by the ignition pulses like in the 156 & Fiat Coupe.

Actually getting the lump in the engine bay shouldn't be too hard, you'll need parts from a 156 2.4 10v JTD to use for driveshafts, engine mount, gearbox mount, stuff like that. That'll mean binning off the Viscodrive but you can fit a Quaife to the 20VT gearbox and use driveshaft seal carriers from the Alfa V6/JTD box.

Someone's gotta do it. I've been thinking about doing it for years in a 156, but far too busy at the moment just fixing customer's cars.

am seriously considering this Pud as I already have access to a spare engine and box, would be good if you can have a think over the next few weeks and maybe come up with a list of parts that would be needed, I am well up for this, and don't mind sinking a little cash into it TBH, I think the result would be simply awesome...the coupe engine has so much scope for tuning being a turbo...and I also have an unused intercooler kit in the garage with enough piping to work in the coupe with some minor purchases of silicone connectors.

I did wonder how closely linked the body computer and ECU were and if they could be run independently of each other to and if so to what degree..good info Pud with what actually runs what.

makes it much more of a possibility without spending a huge fortune on parts.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
I did wonder how closely linked the body computer and ECU were and if they could be run independently of each other to and if so to what degree..good info Pud with what actually runs what.
They are intensely linked, the body computer will display a CAN error (flashing odo) if the correct, paired engine ECU is not connected. Some functions will probably work, lights, door locking, that sort of thing. Anything related to dashboard control, sensors etc will most likely not work. You would really need to try it.

As for a parts list, you aren't really going to know until you start. It wouldn't hurt to have a full set of 2.4 10v engine mounts, brackets & bolts to hand (with any luck, the Coupe ones will fit anyway and these won't be needed), as well as a pair of 2.4 10v driveshafts and driveshaft seal carriers, but I've no doubt you will need more than just that. I think it would be massively helpful to have a complete running Fiat Coupe 20VT to use as a donor car rather than just the engine/box. That way you can strip from the Coupe all the parts/wiring that are not needed to run the engine, leaving you with a transplantable "mini loom", fusebox perhaps, ECU, immo control box, relays etc. While ever that is all still installed in the Coupe, you can remove things you think aren't needed bit by bit, and then start the car to test. If you have problems you can put things back on. Ideally you want to be left with the bare minimum required to theoretically start & run the engine on the floor, independent of the car. Then when you have all that, you can begin to work out how you are going to install it into the GT.

From the other end, you can remove the JTS engine/box from the GT and then do what ever is necessary to get the GT into a state where it powers up and as much stuff as possible works, before installing the Coupe setup into the GT..
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Could you use the Engine ECU from a fiat Stilo Abarth with a remap to suit a turbo?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year