Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

AO Member

County: Suffolk
Thanks Ned she's found a good home here, only done 37k! Had her 2 years this month, bought her from a nice Finnish chap from London, he's a member on here. I have heard rumours the B14/16 strut has been re designed although cannot confirm, need to ring them up next week to get it sorted. Personally I would go for the KW kit if I had to buy again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
I was thinking about Eibach ARBs and the best price I found is from Autolusso. Still, it's north of 300 quid and I object to spending that amount of money for two bent steel rods.
Best price is usually from Alfisti.net. All in 280 including shipping from Germany.

I find the Z9 coilovers excellent quality and value for money. Made in KW factory too.
(Post Link) post #28 of 612 Old 07-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Best price is usually from Alfisti.net. All in 280 including shipping from Germany.

I find the Z9 coilovers excellent quality and value for money. Made in KW factory too.
Thats a great price for the ARB's Joe. I paid way more than that. Thing is i needed them now and was not prepared to wait for a new batch. Cannot bare my Clover to look like a 4x4 for any longer..

I totally believe you on the Z9's. But sadly after my bilsten pss9 nightmare i need to know my future coils, if i encounter any probs are easy to sort or exchange. And i know Ned wont let me down.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post

Just need to sell that arm, leg, child...
(Post Link) post #30 of 612 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:

Just need to sell that arm, leg, child...
I sold my kidney in China..managed to bag enough for coilovers too..

Damien.
(Post Link) post #31 of 612 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Chris View Post
Thanks Ned she's found a good home here, only done 37k! Had her 2 years this month, bought her from a nice Finnish chap from London, he's a member on here. I have heard rumours the B14/16 strut has been re designed although cannot confirm, need to ring them up next week to get it sorted. Personally I would go for the KW kit if I had to buy again.
Chris try and get bilstein to pay for your wheel alignment too..The company who supplied them originally send the units off for a few days to be refurbished, and you are left to foot the bill for alignment.

KW's do exactly the same after a while too. Been through this drama with my last car on another forum. Which is why a tiny part of me wants to avoid coilovers.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #32 of 612 Old 09-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So finally made a definitive decision on which way to go with my GT's chassis.

Eibach ARB kit is winging its way to me as we speak, no surprise there, and its gona be Eibach pro S coilovers from the Ned'meister at autolusso with different front springs.

Hopefully book her in next week for them to be fitted. Cannot bloody wait to be honest.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #33 of 612 Old 10-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well this arrived today... Exiting stuff. Shame i didn't take them off my last GT..lol. This alfa hobby is expensive. But very necessary. This second time round i know what awaits after transforming the chassis, and sadly binning the poor standard useless shaky suspension. Hopefully fitting the bars and coilovers next week.

Damien.
tejay likes this.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 23-09-14 at 18:17.
(Post Link) post #34 of 612 Old 15-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So counting down the days till chassis mods start. Been a bit disappointed with my GT to be honest, going back to a standard chassis has been a very tough. Specially after selling my very modded just under 300bhp TTqs which was a nimble agile go cart.
For some reason my clover does not seem to go or handle as well as i firmly remember my old Gt to, even before chassis mods??? Not sure what it is? The engine only has 31k so maybe she needs to be driven a bit? And obviously mapped properly like my old GT. The standard so called "cloverleaf sports suspension" is an absolute joke. The car just rolls and gives absolutely no driver confidence. The q2 diff is really impressive though. Even on the car as it is, you can feel it pull you out of roundabouts when you put the power down.
I pray i will have a smile on my face next friday when the coils and ARB's go on at autolusso. I am sure i will.
Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

why did you ditch the TT? seems a big step backwards IMO
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
I'm sure there's a hairdresser joke there somewhere but I'm often accused of being unfashionably un-PC so I won't go there.

I'm more worried about the body roll. I have a Bog McStandard tractor and I can't say I've ever noticed any at all - in fact I'm surprised at how flat it corners. Perhaps I'm not taking those roundabouts fast enough.

Last edited by Paddy OPlastic; 16-06-14 at 22:07. Reason: Engrish malfunction
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

gt

i was thinking the same as paddy O, iv had integrales with more body roll than my standard gt
(Post Link) post #38 of 612 Old 16-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Hmmm
Damien.
(Post Link) post #39 of 612 Old 16-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
That's a bloody good question. Simply i got offered great money for her. She was a show car and had a mag feature. Was my greatest automotive achievement to date. The way she handled was something else. Defcon front bushes, h&R ARB's, b16 coilovers..and the rest.
Funny though i always missed my Gt somehow. Call it character, charm etc. I swore i would always have another one, and a q2 cloverleaf at that. Must admit i came close to a v6. But didn't make sense for what i use a car for.
I am hoping the chassis mods will make her something special because at the moment in stock spec she is lacking badly. I always knew i was going to mod her. I could never of envisaged owning the car in standard trim, it needs money spent to make it special. I already knew this. I just hope she lives up to my expectation and how i remember my old modded GT to be. Roll on friday. :-)
Damien.
(Post Link) post #40 of 612 Old 16-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
I'm sure there's a hairdresser joke there somewhere but I'm often accused of being unfashionably un-PC so I won't go there.

I'm more worried about the body roll. I have a Bog McStandard tractor and I can't say I've ever noticed any at all - in fact I'm surprised at how flat it corners. Perhaps I'm not taking those roundabouts fast enough.
The standard car setup is pretty rolly polly. If i took her on track she would be useless as she is? Makes me smile in the cloverleaf brochure...It states the cloverleaf to have sports suspension?? Don't think so?
I must admit i was used to my audi which was something else when the chassis was fully modded.
When the GT/156 chassis is properly fettled with stiffer ARB's and lower centre of gravity it transforms the poise and behavior of the car. Also makes the steering come alive. Its only then do you begin to understand how compromised the standard car is.

Damien.
AO Member

Member car:

gt

all cars are compromised, there built for everyday use not the track.

manufactures make quotes like sports suspension to sell cars, your not meant to take it serious.

i know what your saying though as my old lancia had lowered KONI suspension and it went round

corners better than anything else iv driven.

i think the gt handle ok and the ride is decent enough for what it is,

i once read an artical on a road legal mondeo that was rose jointed and fancy this n that and the guy said it was terrible for going to the shop in,

some people are never happy with what they have and just have to modify things, thats all well n good if thats what your into but to call something rolly polly just because you think its not up to track standard is just wrong,

good luck on your build and i cant wait to see how it turns out
(Post Link) post #42 of 612 Old 17-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdelta View Post
all cars are compromised, there built for everyday use not the track.

manufactures make quotes like sports suspension to sell cars, your not meant to take it serious.

i know what your saying though as my old lancia had lowered KONI suspension and it went round

corners better than anything else iv driven.

i think the gt handle ok and the ride is decent enough for what it is,

i once read an artical on a road legal mondeo that was rose jointed and fancy this n that and the guy said it was terrible for going to the shop in,

some people are never happy with what they have and just have to modify things, thats all well n good if thats what your into but to call something rolly polly just because you think its not up to track standard is just wrong,

good luck on your build and i cant wait to see how it turns out
Thanks fella.
I understand clearly what you meant. And i apologise if i came over a little hardcore with my reply. My aim is to make the car compliant for fast road use. Not rock hard and ruin the chassis.:-) I hate cars that are too harshly sprung. We all have our own expectations and standards when it comes to a cars handling. For me its very important. The Gt's standard suspension is not its its best feature. I find it very primitive, you feel every vibration even on the motorway. Even when i fitted my Koni FSD's with eibach springs to my first GT the quality of the ride and control of the car was transformed.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
The standard car setup is pretty rolly polly. If i took her on track she would be useless as she is? Makes me smile in the cloverleaf brochure...It states the cloverleaf to have sports suspension?? Don't think so?
I must admit i was used to my audi which was something else when the chassis was fully modded.
When the GT/156 chassis is properly fettled with stiffer ARB's and lower centre of gravity it transforms the poise and behavior of the car. Also makes the steering come alive. Its only then do you begin to understand how compromised the standard car is.

Damien.
Either we have wildly different expectations or our cars differ in some way! I have the Irish spec Sportivo and it's possible (if unlikely) there's a difference in the standard suspension set-up. It's getting an FSD makeover on Thursday so maybe I'll only discover the rolly-pollyness once it's gone.

Good luck for Friday.
(Post Link) post #44 of 612 Old 17-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Either we have wildly different expectations or our cars differ in some way! I have the Irish spec Sportivo and it's possible (if unlikely) there's a difference in the standard suspension set-up. It's getting an FSD makeover on Thursday so maybe I'll only discover the rolly-pollyness once it's gone.

Good luck for Friday.
Cheers . I think its very much a case of what i have been previously used to.
You will find the fsd's more compliant, they will banish the standard fidgety ride. I had them on my last GT, with eibach springs. I really did notice a difference dynamically too. The eibach ARB kit was the biggest transformation, the chassis came alive when they were fitted. You can just feel the added stability in the chassis, it really is that good.
I was going to opt for the kw st sport kit this time, but then Ned at autolusso enlightened me to the Eibach pro S coiloverkit, with different front springs. This coilover kit is more set up for street than harshly sprung and damped bilstein products.
Did you consider the kw spring and shock kit? Its really well priced too.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Cheers . I think its very much a case of what i have been previously used to.
You will find the fsd's more compliant, they will banish the standard fidgety ride. I had them on my last GT, with eibach springs. I really did notice a difference dynamically too. The eibach ARB kit was the biggest transformation, the chassis came alive when they were fitted. You can just feel the added stability in the chassis, it really is that good.
I was going to opt for the kw st sport kit this time, but then Ned at autolusso enlightened me to the Eibach pro S coiloverkit, with different front springs. This coilover kit is more set up for street than harshly sprung and damped bilstein products.
Did you consider the kw spring and shock kit? Its really well priced too.

Damien.
I couldn't really consider anything which would lower the car - lots of roads around here are truly shocking. The consensus seems to be that the FSD and standard spring combination is a good match for everyday driving. The ARB upgrade may happen later - I've just shelled out for DMF/clutch as well as FSDs and the wife is starting to question my sanity.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
That is one we imported new any Alfa with a KX number plate is one we imported

Ned
Imported from where?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Imported from where?
Gibraltar, long story

Ned
AO Member

Member car:

gt

you got me thinking about ARB kits now haha, im gonna have a good read through this or could you just recommend whats the best for the gt
(Post Link) post #49 of 612 Old 17-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdelta View Post
you got me thinking about ARB kits now haha, im gonna have a good read through this or could you just recommend whats the best for the gt
Eibach adjustable ARB kit...I'm on my second lol.

Damien.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Eibach adjustable ARB kit...I'm on my second lol.

Damien.
It's not exactly adjustable but without question one of the best mods for the GT

Ned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year