Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 19 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

What is the car currently pushing hp and torque and do you have a dyno print out?
scottyf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,779
Have a look at what some big power Fiat Coupe 20v turbo owners use for the clutch. As long as they are on the original flywheel, then one of their clutches could also be made to fit a JTDm.
joeymannero likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Have a look at what some big power Fiat Coupe 20v turbo owners use for the clutch. As long as they are on the original flywheel, then one of their clutches could also be made to fit a JTDm.

mentioned this earlier in the thread Pud, the coupes and GT's do share a few parts, would a gearbox sawp make any sense? i can't imagine it would have the correct ratio's but the clutch,flywheel and box on some of the mapped coupes are handling 400BHPa and 450 NM so on that front at least it theoretically ''could'' do the job..?


p.s I have two coupes one turbo one vis ad have found a number of GT shared parts but sometimes not with corresponding numbers.
joeymannero is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Wouldn't the ratio's be for a petrol. Therefore Rev's would end up being quite a bit shorter.
Could counter act that though by changing the final drive ratio though. Might end up being a custom part though to do it.
scottyf is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
mentioned this earlier in the thread Pud, the coupes and GT's do share a few parts, would a gearbox sawp make any sense? i can't imagine it would have the correct ratio's but the clutch,flywheel and box on some of the mapped coupes are handling 400BHPa and 450 NM so on that front at least it theoretically ''could'' do the job..?
No need to swap the whole box, a Coupe 20vt clutch & GTA clutch are interchangeable, and the GTA clutch is what we use in the basic solid flywheel conversion on the diesels. So you could buy one Autolusso solid flywheel for JTD with bolts etc, the best Coupe 20vt clutch money can buy and it'll all fit straight out of the box.

The only thing you need to make sure is that the Coupe 20vt clutch is designed to be used on an original Coupe flywheel, as I know a lot of Coupe owners have used lightweight flywheels etc with different clutch fitments.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
Pud237 is online now  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,568
Ok, so couple of questions.would the coupe clutch work on the DMF? and if so although it is rated to 220 ponies the torque on the coup is less than the JTD m would push out at the same BHP so is it a worthy upgrade ?

the reason I ask is I plan a hybrid and FMIC on mine and the current clutch will let go shortly after, its new and ''uprated'' according to Loz. i'm not sure what that means, ,maybe a clover 170 clutch? anyay its a ''stage one''

so my choices are at the moment a dual friction paddle clutch of some kind of or the autolusso single mass GTA jobby. I only recently changed the DMF so don't really want to do it again and also would prefer the driveability of a normal clutch.

do you have any suggestions, I am aiming for around 225 BHP its currently pushing around 190 ish.


many thanks.
joeymannero is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Bloody awful. Its never the hp that destroys clutches. Its the torque and how the power is made and the gearing.
Diesels just lump power straight in and the torque levels are huge.

Does seem odd that for performance car's you'd pick diesels. The units are developed for moderate power and decent economy. I really hope you are able to find a clutch able to cope with the power. But the cost of replacement is worrying.

Honestly don't know why people bother with the diesel units for power.
scottyf is offline  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Bloody awful. Its never the hp that destroys clutches. Its the torque and how the power is made and the gearing.
Diesels just lump power straight in and the torque levels are huge.

Does seem odd that for performance car's you'd pick diesels. The units are developed for moderate power and decent economy. I really hope you are able to find a clutch able to cope with the power. But the cost of replacement is worrying.

Honestly don't know why people bother with the diesel units for power.
you are right to a point scotty, it really down to fact that if the GT is what you want then the engine choices are poor...the diesels are the most easily tuned as they are turbo, and up to about 220 BHP there are plenty of plug and play options for clutches and flywheels that can cope. BTW you still get the economy, in fact mine is MORE economical post map returning around 55 MPG on average.

it all depends what you are trying to achieve. I have got what I set out to do, in that I have a fun fast car that also does 650 miles a week reliably and without complaint, for about 65 in fuel. it fulfills all needs. I am undertaking the last bit more for sh*ts and giggles than any real need. But i will be the first to admit if my weekly commute were within the 10k a year range when I purchased the car it would have been a V6 100%

the V6 has more power for sure in stock form but I had major concerns that it would not reliably do my weekly mileage without some potentially very expensive issues, i would still have modded but only the suspension.

where Damien is concerned well he is trying to do something a ''bit different'' I have been in his car and must say its a fantastic achievement even as is, amazing power delivery and acceleration, in addition the handling mods have been done with thought and care,and it is not just about power, it handles beautifully staying flat in corners and hugging the road on straights.

an impressive machine, the torque from the derv IS part of why it feels like it does.

now its going to be a case of finding a clutch that will be man enough for the job! I am sure a dual friction paddle clutch will do it, so a sacrifice in clutch feel and ease of town driving , he will have to have the revs a bit higher in first to avoid judder, but that is far better than changing the clutch very 7k.


I wish him good luck, it would be a shame to have to dial back the plans because the clutch is the limiting factor.
joeymannero is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

The V6 would be more reliable than the diesel. Its a proven engine with very little that goes wrong with it. The gearbox is weak though. Couple it with the Auto box or a Q2 and I'd say it has less moving parts than the diesels and less strain with more power.

The downside... Fuel costs.

I'm not saying wrong engine for the job. As most pick a diesel because :-

1) Miles per year is high
2) Cheaper tax

Then most figure out they are easy to buy off the shelf remaps and get 30% extra power without lifting a finger. Win win right? Its like an added bonus.
Not sure I think the Engine range is pants for the GT. I mean it got a 1.8, 2.0 jts, 3.2 V6 and 1.9 diesel.
That's basically all the engines Alfa had. Well least the ones you'd consider.
The 2.4 diesel although great is even heavier and not much more power. Although sounds better.
2.0 TS would have been better than the 1.8 but then Alfa would say the 2.0 JTS covers that.

But to solely buy a GT diesel for a performance machine is nuts in my eyes.
3.2 + remap 270hp (Circa 400) + Q2 (600?) Job done no messing.
Suspension work 1000 maybe half that if you do it yourself.

Want more power...?
You bought the wrong car. Its Front wheel drive for starters so there's a limit to how much power it will ever put down.


If you are doing high mileage though a paddle clutch would be okay as you aren't always changing gear anyway...
The coupe clutch would be a guess the next move really. Good advice from Pud.

I am positive you will come out with a solution. It just makes me a little bit sad to think of how much it must have cost to get to this point only for it to let you down a little.
joeymannero likes this.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
scottyf is offline  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,568
couldn't agree more with all of that really...

anymore than 30% increase power and you are in for some considerable expense...you have hit the ''torque wall'' in terms of what can be managed by the clutch and still maintain OEM Feel.

as several of us have said, fiat coupe clutch may be the next place to if you don't want the paddle clutch... good luck and keep us posted
scottyf likes this.

Last edited by joeymannero; 09-12-15 at 18:27.
joeymannero is offline  
(Post Link) post #461 of 612 Old 09-12-15 Thread Starter
Status: GT clover 170 Q2 called SOOTY.:-)
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
ALFADOIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,199
Images: 12

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Right lets calm this negativity down a bit. Nothing wrong with diesels. They are frigging awesome when developed properly. I don't particularly want the fook off fuelling costs of a 3.2 everyday thank you very much. I am doing this project to make her solid for a long time to come. So each step needs to be methodical.

I had an awesome day with Ned at Autolusso today. Got taken out for a blast in his 3.8 sequential box, famous red ex top gear GTA saloon..Absolutely brutal. Awesome utterly awesome. The way she puts down the power is beyond belief. Even from just about standstill..Like a pussy cat in traffic then when the whim takes, a proper super car when pushed hard. Proper game changer...And properly on my list for my GT, when the postcode lottery bimbo knocks on my door with the huge winning cheque..;-)

And there are solutions to this clutch dilemma. I drove Craig's 2.4 156 today with fixed smf and ceramic and organic clutch. And to be honest it was quite a task in traffic. Ned is correctly suggesting a fixed smf with GTA clutch, so its not overly brutal in traffic and also as the flywheel is fixed does not induce the slipping motion on the clutch. Put it this way Ned's 3.8 GTA has this arrangement and has not slipped once with the brutality of the sequential box.. The problem with an overly aggressive stage 3 organic/cerametallic is it will wear the DMF in no time!!

The other aspect is the way the car is mapped. The early strong torque point on my car is around 2.7k and that's where the clutch lets go..Clutch pulls like a freight train before and after that point. Joel told me today his 147 jtd, which is putting out a healthy 270 odd bhp and over 500nm of torque is mapped very conservatively before this early torquey peak region, to protect the drive train and clutch, and then ramped up after for big manageable peak power.
As i am well aware, at this point my car needs proper bespoke mapping, as it will probably have a higher peak than Joel's car at that early peak point...So there you have it.

At this point in time with what power i want to achieve, there is no having your cake and eating it too. I will forego certain oem creature comforts. But at the moment the lighter weight smf and GTA clutch seem to make the most sense.

Damien.
joeymannero likes this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 10-12-15 at 00:19.
ALFADOIT is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
The other aspect is the way the car is mapped. The early strong torque point on my car is around 2.7k and that's where the clutch lets go..Clutch pulls like a freight train before and after that point. Joel told me today his 147 jtd, which is putting out a healthy 270 odd bhp and over 500nm of torque is mapped very conservatively before this early torquey peak region, to protect the drive train and clutch, and then ramped up after for big manageable peak power.
As i am well aware, at this point my car needs proper bespoke mapping, as it will probably have a higher peak than Joel's car at that early peak point...So there you have it.
So like I said before. Its the way diesel's produce power.

Its all in the early rev range and dumps it all in one early on and aggressively when the turbo boots up. This is why you never get issues with large hp petrol's because they progressively make their power. Which in turn doesn't put strain on the clutch.

I'm glad you've got an option though. Always a solution out there though.
So GTA SMF and clutch will be the best compromise.

Sorry If I came across negative. It was fairly obvious what the issue was though upon reading what you wrote. But I'm not surprised really given the modification you've undertaken. The JTD drivetrain is a known weak point.

So what are you actually getting out of the JTD currently?
Do you have a dynograph of it?
scottyf is offline  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Right lets calm this negativity down a bit. Nothing wrong with diesels. They are frigging awesome when developed properly. I don't particularly want the fook off fuelling costs of a 3.2 everyday thank you very much. I am doing this project to make her solid for a long time to come. So each step needs to be methodical.

I had an awesome day with Ned at Autolusso today. Got taken out for a blast in his 3.8 sequential box, famous red ex top gear GTA saloon..Absolutely brutal. Awesome utterly awesome. The way she puts down the power is beyond belief. Even from just about standstill..Like a pussy cat in traffic then when the whim takes, a proper super car when pushed hard. Proper game changer...And properly on my list for my GT, when the postcode lottery bimbo knocks on my door with the huge winning cheque..;-)

And there are solutions to this clutch dilemma. I drove Craig's 2.4 156 today with fixed smf and ceramic and organic clutch. And to be honest it was quite a task in traffic. Ned is correctly suggesting a fixed smf with GTA clutch, so its not overly brutal in traffic and also as the flywheel is fixed does not induce the slipping motion on the clutch. Put it this way Ned's 3.8 GTA has this arrangement and has not slipped once with the brutality of the sequential box.. The problem with an overly aggressive stage 3 organic/cerametallic is it will wear the DMF in no time!!

The other aspect is the way the car is mapped. The early strong torque point on my car is around 2.7k and that's where the clutch lets go..Clutch pulls like a freight train before and after that point. Joel told me today his 147 jtd, which is putting out a healthy 270 odd bhp and over 500nm of torque is mapped very conservatively before this early torquey peak region, to protect the drive train and clutch, and then ramped up after for big manageable peak power.
As i am well aware, at this point my car needs proper bespoke mapping, as it will probably have a higher peak than Joel's car at that early peak point...So there you have it.

At this point in time with what power i want to achieve, there is no having your cake and eating it too. I will forego certain oem creature comforts. But at the moment the lighter weight smf and GTA clutch seem to make the most sense.

Damien.
excellent stuff, as you know mate i'm right behind you on this journey...to use an analogy I'm glad you are the one up front with the machete clearing the path!

I had forgotten that A) you have yet to have a custom map on a dyno, and that B you are still on effectively a ''stage one'' clutch, I have been in your car and assumed given the power and nature of that power that you already had something a bit ''bespoke'' in there.


so in reality you are right on schedule really...



I don't think the drive train other than the clutch is a particularly weak point given the torque that is produced by these cars even in stock form is fairly high for the HP...its just the tuning you are doing is approaching 60% more power than it as designed for...I suspect secretly you are aiming to double it...given your last car was 300 BHP ,correct me if i'm wrong..?

you could just go dual friction paddle but as you said its almost the last resort. if the GTA kit works and is a reasonable compromise in all conditions then you have your solution.

TBH we are in exactly the same position you and I as the next stage off modding on mine will probably be beyond what the current transmission can handle( and i have already done it once!) , so we are both having to undertake further clutch upgrades and Custom maps..

maybe if we go to red dot together we could get a discount ? and that would be a fun day out!

my FMIC and hybrid will go on in Jan so maybe we are on schedule for that...

I fully agree also that although a petrol 3.2 would be quicker out of the box the fuel costs would be horrendous. I have done the maths and if I keep the car three years my modding costs are paid back by fuel savings vs a similar powered petrol car.

and finally your ''setbacks'' have to be put in context.

A) you don't accept any less than perfect, some of what you have developed further would have been enough for most at a much earlier stage, so your own high standards mean the cost will be higher than for most.

B) your goals although achievable are right on the edge of what is! pushing the envelope always has a financial element to it and there will be the odd spanner in the works to overcome.

bottom line your GT on balance is the best diesel car I have ever sat in (including a 330d m sport) and its pretty high up the list even vs some of the high performance petrol's I have driven. its a fantastic achievement.


ALFADOIT and alcooker like this.
joeymannero is offline  
(Post Link) post #464 of 612 Old 10-12-15 Thread Starter
Status: GT clover 170 Q2 called SOOTY.:-)
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
ALFADOIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,199
Images: 12

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Thanks Joe, appreciate the feedback.

Interesting calculation you made the investment/time/payback calculation. To be honest if i start thinking that way it wouldn't make sense.

What i want to achieve is to create something rock solid, that i will be able to use to get to my work and use on track. My last car was around the 300bhp mark, but being a petrol did not have the torque my GT already has. My audi had 315 lb ft through an uprated Sachs organic clutch.
I would like to get around the same power with my GT, bhp figures translate differently with diesels. As we know its all about the torque and clever mapping.
I have driven standard GTA's and as lovely as they are they lacked a bit of midrange punch compared to what i have now. Yes the rev reach was delightful, but honestly i have just the same enjoyment in my GT now,. I am totally used to and maximising the up to 5.5rpm rev range. Its solid power no lows or peaks after 2.7k, all the way to the red line in every gear, no tailing off like the oem unit. So its much more fun. Quick shift from 4th to fifth at 5k on full power is simply awesome. And the mpg overall is still impressive. And with the exhaust note now its so much more entertaining. I need to go back to see Ryan again, as she is more muted than i would like since we fitted a rear silencer. We have gone too far the other way now. We can remove a percentage of the rear silencer to bring back a bit of vocality in the midrange. She still purrs though at higher revs and crescendos as i climb the revs , and burbles on tickover. So yes i am getting there. With wmi it will be interesting how far we can safely push this turbo. I might be pleasantly surprised with what is achievable. And not have to go GTB i will see. Its pretty exciting. My engine just gets better and better as the miles go on. I drove a standard 150 GT recently and i was very shocked at the difference, and how far my car has come.
First things first, sort the clutch out. Then WMI and we need to get her on the dyno to see what is what, in the new year.

Damien.
ALFADOIT is offline  
(Post Link) post #465 of 612 Old 10-12-15 Thread Starter
Status: GT clover 170 Q2 called SOOTY.:-)
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
ALFADOIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,199
Images: 12

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So dropped off the Alfa duck tail spoiler at the paint shop today here in Swindon.. I normally give all my paint jobs to SPR coachworks in sussex as they exercise unbelievable work..But alas its been hard to get down to see James this past 5 months. I am going to be honest on any other coloured GT i would not fit the spoiler, but for some reason i feel it will look tasteful and minimalistic on my black car. And also give me a little bit of rear down force. I am hoping the new carbon front splitter and rear spoiler will work dynamically together. We will see. Its a bold move i know, and will have to see how she looks.

Also sent some more screws bolts to be chromed. Big thanks to the lads at Autolusso second hand parts for finding all the screws and bolts i required for chroming..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12118761_10154314734743135_6744746817200008744_n.jpg (91.0 KB, 48 views)
ALFADOIT is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,779
I don't think a 3.2 is the cheaper GT engine option. It isn't bullet proof. Its a good solid engine but by 100k its ready for a top end overhaul IMO (roughly 2.5k), the diesel will keep on going for as long as you keep on changing the oil in most cases. We've done loads of engine rebuilds on the 3.2s, and not so many on the old 2.5 and 3.0 engines. I think its purely a heat management thing, due to the CF3 manifolds. The head gaskets are usually pitted and exhaust valve seats burn out like they do on LPG converted engines (more so the old gas-injection types).

Joey - the Fiat Coupe 20vt clutch wouldn't work with the DMF. It would only work with the SMF as that's designed to work with the GTA clutch, which the 20vt clutch is almost identical to. I wasn't suggesting an OEM 20vt clutch, but

Damo - Give the SMF & GTA clutch a try then - see how you get on. I'm going with OEM new DMF & new OEM clutch in my tuned 10v, I hope it lasts. The 5 cylinders use less boost and have overlapping power strokes which I think should give the clutches a comparatively easier time for the same level of torque.
ALFADOIT likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I don't think a 3.2 is the cheaper GT engine option. It isn't bullet proof. Its a good solid engine but by 100k its ready for a top end overhaul IMO (roughly 2.5k), the diesel will keep on going for as long as you keep on changing the oil in most cases. We've done loads of engine rebuilds on the 3.2s, and not so many on the old 2.5 and 3.0 engines. I think its purely a heat management thing, due to the CF3 manifolds. The head gaskets are usually pitted and exhaust valve seats burn out like they do on LPG converted engines (more so the old gas-injection types).

Joey - the Fiat Coupe 20vt clutch wouldn't work with the DMF. It would only work with the SMF as that's designed to work with the GTA clutch, which the 20vt clutch is almost identical to. I wasn't suggesting an OEM 20vt clutch, but

Damo - Give the SMF & GTA clutch a try then - see how you get on. I'm going with OEM new DMF & new OEM clutch in my tuned 10v, I hope it lasts. The 5 cylinders use less boost and have overlapping power strokes which I think should give the clutches a comparatively easier time for the same level of torque.



Ok Pud, cheers for that info.

gonna have a chat with Loz and see what we can do about replacing the clutch and flywheel with the SMF and GTA clutch kit, its about the same price as a dual friction paddle clutch but will be tons more drivable.

only thing is its only just been done...note to self, PLAN mods if ever doing again..shed load of money can be saved...
joeymannero is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
County: -
Posts: 1
@ALFADOIT

have you other pictures of from carbon spoilt from cobalt ? plz send me it ;]
ALFADOIT likes this.
MastaMari is offline  
(Post Link) post #469 of 612 Old 25-12-15 Thread Starter
Status: GT clover 170 Q2 called SOOTY.:-)
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
ALFADOIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,199
Images: 12

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Hi Fella

Here are some other pictures for you. I should be fitting mine soon. Will let you know how it goes.

Contact for Cobalt is Kobayashi in Japan. info@aero-cobalt.com

Kobayashi is the boss..Nice guy. You can communicate in english. What they make is beautiful..

Happy Christmas.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT-2.jpg (58.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg GT-1.jpg (278.7 KB, 42 views)
ALFADOIT is offline  
(Post Link) post #470 of 612 Old 31-12-15 Thread Starter
Status: GT clover 170 Q2 called SOOTY.:-)
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
ALFADOIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,199
Images: 12

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Little update..

Well finally after getting home after my Christmas work trip could get stuck into a few jobs i have been wanting to do to my GT.

Firstly i managed to plumb the crankcase breather fumes into my new Evap valve. I picked this up from the usa a little while ago. Ryan at wizard kindly integrated into my mid down pipe. So now the fumes are going straight out the exhaust happy days.

Second i fitted my new Cobalt carbon fibre splitter. No easy task, but with a bit of patience and trial and error, taping up and measuring i got it spot on and bolted on.
I definitely need to raise the front coils a tad now the splitter is fitted. A small price to pay for the new look of the front of the car. I am very happy with the results. Looks a little 156 GTA esk now..lol. I know there will be haters of this but hell i like it, gives the car a bit of individuality. Not to mention scooping up some air into the FMIC..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6058c4e6-2636-4680-b047-bcee964f675c_zpsxzprxrpe.jpg (129.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2375.jpg (73.9 KB, 28 views)
tejay, JS JTD, joeymannero and 1 others like this.
ALFADOIT is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Think the splitter gives the front a nice aggressive look. The GT has always had nice lines but a little soft.

Nice to see it getting a bit more of an aggressive stance.
Given that the 147 and 156 have a GTA badge. The GT never got that treatment. Well out the factory anyway.

I like!


The extra plumbing for the Exhaust gas re circulation?
Pro's and con's to that. But given that you are chasing the numbers I believe that's a great way to deal with it rather than vent to atmosphere.
ALFADOIT likes this.
scottyf is offline  
DNG
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 600

Member car:

GT 3.2

The spoiler looks good. You are probably right that is looks best on a black GT but it is so subtle I think it would suit all. I've got other stuff to sort on mine first such as suspension, a remap and now I can't get the wizard exhaust sound out of my head so I reckon that will be first but once done I will start on the body work with a few subtle enhancements. No doubt I will be in touch for tips
ALFADOIT likes this.
DNG is offline  
Status: The Rosso twins are here!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
edraven71's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1612
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 3,674
Garage
Like that splitter, think it looks better on your black car than on the pics you posted on the red and silver cars, blends in better
edraven71 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
scottyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,198
Images: 26
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

I agree.
Think if I had the red car I'd have to colour code it.
scottyf is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Little update..

Well finally after getting home after my Christmas work trip could get stuck into a few jobs i have been wanting to do to my GT.

Firstly i managed to plumb the crankcase breather fumes into my new Evap valve. I picked this up from the usa a little while ago. Ryan at wizard kindly integrated into my mid down pipe. So now the fumes are going straight out the exhaust happy days.

Second i fitted my new Cobalt carbon fibre splitter. No easy task, but with a bit of patience and trial and error, taping up and measuring i got it spot on and bolted on.
I definitely need to raise the front coils a tad now the splitter is fitted. A small price to pay for the new look of the front of the car. I am very happy with the results. Looks a little 156 GTA esk now..lol. I know there will be haters of this but hell i like it, gives the car a bit of individuality. Not to mention scooping up some air into the FMIC..

Damien.
Good work mate!

Firstly that Evac valve... Taken her for a test drive yet? Really like the look of this bit of kit! Got it installed in the back-pipe section that snakes under the engine between the downpipe and the cat I guess? Did you take the mini catch-can out or leave it in place?

That splitter.... Really nice bit of engineering there, very nicely made by the look of it! Really suits the black car better than the silver/red for sure. Definite touch of the 156 GTA about it, and I reckon it will split opinions as well as it does airflow!

You worried that it might unsettle the handling at all now? In theory you should be getting more front-end grip at speeds, wouldn't want that to result in the rear letting go!

_The_Editor_ is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome