Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 18 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #426 of 612 Old 16-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Right had some time for a proper drive and another fiddle with the new short shifter and definitive thought.

I lubed all the moving parts of the gear mechanism around the bracket and as mentioned earlier i changed the angle of the ball socket on the rod as it sat skew whiff on the new ball joint, so that done all sits straight and equal, and all is much better than before, and even sat in the car now without motion, gears are easily selected.

So out on the road.
She has been up in the air a few days now as i've managed to do a few jobs these past few days after having a few rare leave days from work. So tonight was the first blast out for a while. Went out to my favorite bit of testing ground where i live. Part small roundabouts part bypass where i could warm her up properly then give her a blat.

Right....bloody fantastic The short shifter is a game changer. The shortened time to change gear is monumental to the progress i can make now. Hooking up shifts between gears, with the hybrid turbo still on boost, its really given the whole driving experience another dimension. This will be so beneficial on track. I am over the bloody moon right now. The gearchange reach in oem, is let's be honest hilarious compared to modern german performance car short shift boxes. This has absolutely brought it in line with modern sport boxes. It feels slightly more notchy because you are simply at the point of gearchange select now, before you had to experience gearstick motion before selecting the gear. But after that once you are used to it, took me 10 minutes, its second nature snicking the gears in. Happy days and thank you M-tech.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Can I have one Damien...?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #428 of 612 Old 16-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

There you go Joe..

1.9 JTDm 16V - MTech Short Shifters

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Grand!

Done.
AO Silver Member

Except there out of stock cause you lot bought them all!
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
Except there out of stock cause you lot bought them all!
Novitec are selling them, maybe they have some.
Novitec Sport Shifter Schaltwegverkürzung - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Pretty cheeky to be selling them as Novitec Sport Shifter's no?

Clearly the MTech product....
AO Silver Member

great stuff.

done...

cheers gents...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Novitec probably contracted the manufacturing out to Mtech. Novitec are a tuning firm, they'll be getting stuff they think they can sell manufactured by whoever the market leader is in specific areas and then selling it under their own brand.

Its very common now to have the same producted marketed under different names at different prices. If you buy an LUK clutch for your GT it'll just be a Valeo one inside an LUK box. In fact, even a genuine Alfa clutch is just a Valeo one inside an Alfa Romeo box.
ALFADOIT and _The_Editor_ like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

If you go to the actual Novitec site it does say Copy in the description, bizarrely, but has the wrong picture up.

http://www.novitec-sportiva.com/en/3...fter-Copy?c=55

Who knows
(Post Link) post #436 of 612 Old 17-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
If you go to the actual Novitec site it does say Copy in the description, bizarrely, but has the wrong picture up.

http://www.novitec-sportiva.com/en/3...fter-Copy?c=55

Who knows

Ouch i wouldn't want a copy, these pieces are precision made within fine tolerances. Mind you to colour it the same fancy brothel boudoir purple, would be too much of a coincidence. So that would give me some reassurance. As Dan rightly said they have probably got an agreement with M-tech.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Novitec probably contracted the manufacturing out to Mtech. Novitec are a tuning firm, they'll be getting stuff they think they can sell manufactured by whoever the market leader is in specific areas and then selling it under their own brand.

Its very common now to have the same producted marketed under different names at different prices. If you buy an LUK clutch for your GT it'll just be a Valeo one inside an LUK box. In fact, even a genuine Alfa clutch is just a Valeo one inside an Alfa Romeo box.
Fair enough!

I'm sure they've got some agreement going on

Shifter is settling in nicely in my car now, only problem is now that blasting through the gears is so much fun I'm noticing the understeer when the road gets twisty...

I guess this is how a small shifter mod turns into a full suspension rebuild...
ALFADOIT and joeymannero like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
So its working really well then? Thats good to know. I was tempted to buy one for my own car but missed the first group buy. I'll wait for another, I'm not in a rush.

Although I am tempted to make my own, would only need to weld on another gear cable fixing closer to the fulcrum on the shifter... :hmm:
(Post Link) post #439 of 612 Old 19-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Decided to have some of my Alfa GT metal parts chromed. Door strikers, bolts in the engine bay and bonnet catch mechanism. I think it would look real quality against the black paintwork. Through a recommendation from Ned, i have used a company called classics and chrome. Who have a great rep at doing classic car and motorcycle parts. Have sent the door strikers i picked up second hand a little while ago. And Autolusso will be collecting some second hand parts off a GT hopefully coming in next week for breaking. So more parts to send away to be chromed.
Also on the cards is another visit to Ryan. I think the exhaust system needs a small silencer. At high revs she resonates a tiny bit. The system is all to my requested spec, so only myself to blame. It's basically straight through system, so these things were to be expected. But with projects like this you have to be patient. I am still over the moon with the sound though. Love the new character, just needs refining somewhat, and a small silencer will do the trick.
Also my new carbon splitter from Cobalt in Japan is being made. Have been in touch with Kobayashi in Japan last week, working out the shipping etc. This little individual aerodynamic touch to the front end, will give me a lot of downforce and will also ram air into the path of my FMIC. It actually does not hang down much more than the oem lower bumper, so shouldn't cause any issues for clearance. "famous last words".

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobalt red.jpg (185.1 KB, 57 views)
tejay, Guili and CliveJ like this.
(Post Link) post #440 of 612 Old 01-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well received a belated birthday pressie to myself yesterday from Japan.
(Big thanks to Kobayashi at Cobalt for the excellent customer service and detailed information). Well i say for myself more for my Italian bella. Bloody spoilt that GT of mine..
My carbon Cobalt splitter. I wont kid you i was slightly nervous as only seen it in pictures. And being carbon it was not cheap. Well i should not have concerned myself it is beautiful. The shape and contours are truly magnificent. The weave of the carbon looks stunning. I cannot believe how light it is. The delivery man asked me to check there was something actually in the box..lol.
Another little benefit is that the design is such it will not hang down much lower than the original bumper. It contours the oem bumper so well. I dont want it to catch the eye too much or take away any shape of the bertone body design design.
So hoping to fit it this week. Lovely bit of kit that will steathly stuff more airflow into my uprated oil cooler and FMIC.
I do apologize about the appalling quality of the pictures. They are from my phone as i cannot download pics from my camera at the moment.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swindon-20151201-00424.jpg (94.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Swindon-20151201-00427.jpg (92.2 KB, 21 views)
edraven71 and joeymannero like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Looks v.nice, and don't tell me what it cost, but will be a horrible sound when it bottoms out at some point
(Post Link) post #442 of 612 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So as Paula Abdul said back in the 80's 3 steps forward 4 steps back..Well something like that.

Things have been interesting as of late. The car took time to adjust to the new volume and flow of the new exhaust system. And has backed off somewhat boost. So she is not as torquey as she was before. She definitely pulls better up the top of the rev range...But she needs mapping properly which will be done in the new year.

Also my second development, is my new uprated clutch has started slipping...Yes gutted does not come close. Properly threw my toys out the pram the other night! When that familiar awful sound of revs rocketing up at 3k occurred in 5th gear..

So need to sort this weakness out for good. I have a few options that will take the power and torque i need to harness. A fixed fly setup or kevlar JTD performance stage 3 kit. Both have their own compromises to what i had fitted at present and i may loose that oem feel. But its a necessity now, the car is putting out serious torque levels. Plus with my plans for a GTB turbo kit and 250+ bhp in the future.

Also today i am back with the Wizard of Oz having a small silencer fitted to my system. The acoustics are fantastic until i hit high revs and then a huge gushing sound is heard. This needs to be muffled without loosing the midrange vocal character which has been achieved.

Also discussed with Ryan was my rear half cage. We will hopefully use polished stainless piping. And with Ryan's craftmanship and welding will look amazing. So cannot wait for that soon.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

How long has the clutch lasted? Bit scary its begininning to slip again if its quite a recent replacement.
I know your car is churning out a lot of torque though so it was always going to get a bit of reduced life.
(Post Link) post #444 of 612 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

In a nutshell the clutch lasted 7k!

But on careful inspection of the uprated units specs it was never enough to put up with the torque my hybrid is putting out, never mind a GTB.

So need to step up the ammunition and go with a hefty unit that will take big power. I may loose a bit of comfort and oem feel, there are no compromises at this stage. I just need something that had put up with the torque.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
In a nutshell the clutch lasted 7k!

But on careful inspection of the uprated units specs it was never enough to put up with the torque my hybrid is putting out, never mind a GTB.

So need to step up the ammunition and go with a hefty unit that will take big power. I may loose a bit of comfort and oem feel, there are no compromises at this stage. I just need something that had put up with the torque.

Damien.

blimey Damien...gutted for you mate, as it is more expense,your build has not been without its setbacks has it.

still the kind of power you are producing will highlight even the slightest weak spot.

what do you currently have in there..?

as you know I am going to be fitting a FMIC and hybrid turbo and then doing a re-map on a dyno (probably at red dot) so will likely be close to 240 BHP by the time i'm done, don't fancy doing the clutch more than twice having had it done already, next time must be spot on.

what do you think?

P.s do you have a DMF currently, i have a new one and would like to stay with it as the extra clutch judder at low RPM is not attractive at all!
(Post Link) post #446 of 612 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post

blimey Damien...gutted for you mate, as it is more expense,your build has not been without its setbacks has it.

still the kind of power you are producing will highlight even the slightest weak spot.

what do you currently have in there..?

as you know I am going to be fitting a FMIC and hybrid turbo and then doing a re-map on a dyno (probably at red dot) so will likely be close to 240 BHP by the time i'm done, don't fancy doing the clutch more than twice having had it done already, next time must be spot on.

what do you think?

P.s do you have a DMF currently, i have a new one and would like to stay with it as the extra clutch judder at low RPM is not attractive at all!
Joe if i am honest i did have a moment last night where i honestly thought..WTF am i doing? I might as well buy a car with 300bhp that is made and designed to take it!!
I was not happy when the clutch let go on saturday night on the drive home from visiting the girlfriend. Another 800 quid on another clutch and fitting, this time kevlar based nearly made me consider packing this project in! I don't mind doing something once properly but twice in 7k miles your having a laugh!
Its knocked me a bit. I am not a bloody millionaire, just an honest guy on an average wage trying to build my dream GT.
Anyhow i woke up this morning with a more positive attitude. Every other bit of the car is awesome. Its just spat out its dummy with a weakest but one of the most important links in the chain.
I am doing a bit of research into clutches etc. I have a few choices to make. I am hopefully meeting Ned on Wednesday. What i decide will be the best compromise possible, but it needs to be rock solid for my application. I will of course let you know all i research in due course. I don't want you to make the same mistake bud! Not that you would now reading my experience.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
I am not a bloody millionaire, just an honest guy on an average wage trying to build my dream GT.
Flat out don't believe you there... I heard you had a garage full of Turbos just because you liked the way they look

S**t happens bud, and you've got unlucky this time... Your mad JTDm engine is munching it's way through uprated friction components in <10k... Yea it's a complete PITA now, but you should feel proud of the results you've achieved here! You're pushing the limits, and it looks like you've found one!

Fix it, fix it properly, and move on.... It's only money, and it's the smiles per gallon that count

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Drop the power down so it doesn't eat the clutch then turn it back up when you change the clutch after half decent mileage.

Its nuts what torque diesels can spit out.
Im sorry its got you down. The clutch is always the weakest link on the jtd engine. Id be a bit upset if I had to change a clutch each year or at my current mileage ecery 6 months.

Id say a paddle clutch but that'll mean the drivability will be lost.
AO Silver Member

mate, I feel your pain, really I do..we are both pushing our cars ...mine is not yet where yours is but even so it has not exactly been ''painless''...it goes well and I am wondering whether the the FMIC and hybrid are really required...I know myself though I have to push the envelope and finish what I started..! I am just waiting until the car does not have to do 650 miles a week. anyway I digress.

how about a GTA clutch and single mass flywheel? or a JTD performance dual fiction paddle clutch...

honestly I can't believe there is not a clutch out there that couldn't take 300 bhp, its just a question of finding it! a BM 330D m has around 400 odd BHP in stock form..ze Germans are less trouble though.

I wonder if you might get something originally designed for a stage 3 tuned fiat coupe as they push out well in excess of 400 ponies, AFAIK it's a very similar gearbox and has been used as a replacement on some Alfa builds.

Thing is mate I do wonder if going for a different gearbox is a better option..? one designed for more power with a stock clutch to match, again the coupe springs to mind, the 20V turbo had a 6 speed box, it may even work out the same or even cheaper cost-wise...not sure if the ratios would work but its worth considering.

maybe you have found the limit of what can be achieved with that transmission set up safely consistently..I know joel at JTD is meant to be running 272 BHP on his 147 but how many miles does he do a year in that car? one mans reliable is another mans in the garage every week! it all depends on what you need the car to do.

also do you have the quaife yet? as far as i remember not..correct me if i'm wrong...this does make a difference to the reliability of the box and clutch I hear.

funny story that highlights our shared mentality. I bought some really nice brushed ali pedals on Ebay with Alfa logo's ,loveley bit of kit and looked like they might be a pain free fit..

anyway old MOMO pedals off and then offered up the new ones...clutch and brake were a straightish fit, but the accelerator would have required some work to look right, in short all 3 needed some kind of rubber backing to look really good, so I shelved it and have elected to fit at a later date when I have fabricated the required backing material.

anyway I couldn't bear to put them back in the same condition so I got out the wet and dry and metal polish and refurbed the Aluminium, finished on the buffing wheel, I also gummiphledged the rubbers so the pedals now look as good as new again.

that is a frickin study in futility, refurbing something that is designed to stamp all over!

mental...

keep us posted on what you decide or possible solutions to the problem.

good luck
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #450 of 612 Old 08-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Thanks Joe.. Will keep you posted. Experience is educational..

This pioneering ******** is expensive..

So today i went to see the wizard for a little tweak to my gorgeous stainless system. High in the rev range she screamed like a banshee. The midrange was just lovely and characterful. So getting the acoustic balance would be difficult.
So a rear silencer was fitted, and it has taken away a bit of the midrange character. So Ryan agreed in Jan to have another look at creating a tad more sound midrange. I can still here her though especially in the higher rev range. In the lower range the engine sound has overtaken the exhaust note again. So more work needed. I will get there. Big thanks to Ryan..

Also discussed the design of my rear brace/ half cage. If you have ever seen the fiat 500 biposto or renault megane rs. That's the look i am after. A bar in a stainless polished finish with race netting. So hopefully work can begin in January.

Here are a few pics from today visiting a fellow GT owner and all round top bloke Phil. Who happens to have a gorgeous 2010 white final edition GT in white. Stunning car.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95a6eb54-e3d0-44ad-b916-f8d7c26956a2_zps2exmrxkw.jpg (138.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 12304044_537733133069761_5697122185323919139_o.jpg (114.6 KB, 24 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year