Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

VO2Max

My Cloverleaf was actually one of the 150bhp ones. I think the injectors/turbo are the same as on the 170bhp? I may be wrong!

I've had the Eibach coilover set-up fitted, Quaife diff., Red Dot remap, EGR delete, deswirl-flapped, and the clutch replaced with the 170bhp (which I believe is dimpled to take the extra torque?)

I like to share out my custom between Jamie at Alfaworkshop (I've used him for nearly 30 years) and Ned at Autolusso. Ned is more into the upgrades/tweaks/developments.

They're both very good in their own way.

Thanks for the tip about the lower hose, I'm sure Jamie's boys will suss this if it's the cause of the whistle, but I'll mention to them .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
My Cloverleaf was actually one of the 150bhp ones. I think the injectors/turbo are the same as on the 170bhp? I may be wrong!

I've had the Eibach coilover set-up fitted, Quaife diff., Red Dot remap, EGR delete, deswirl-flapped, and the clutch replaced with the 170bhp (which I believe is dimpled to take the extra torque?)

I like to share out my custom between Jamie at Alfaworkshop (I've used him for nearly 30 years) and Ned at Autolusso. Ned is more into the upgrades/tweaks/developments.

They're both very good in their own way.

Thanks for the tip about the lower hose, I'm sure Jamie's boys will suss this if it's the cause of the whistle, but I'll mention to them .
Slightly different turbo and higher flow injectors on the 170 engines, pretty much everything else is the same though.
ALFADOIT likes this.
VO2Max

Ah, my injectors probably wouldn't support a very big turbo & remap then, probably just as well!

200bhp with good delivery will do me .
ALFADOIT likes this.

(Post Link) post #404 of 612 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So finally got home today to find my lovely newly refurbished steering wheel and gearknob top waiting for me...

Huge thanks to Jack at Royal steering wheels...Absolute quality. I had an alcantara wheel on my last performance car and kind of missed the soft touch feel in my GT.

So grey top quality alcantara, red stitching, slightly thicker wheel rim.. Feels bloody awesome to hold. And the knob top in the same material really compliments the wheel well. Very happy.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new wheel.jpg (112.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg new knob.jpg (52.2 KB, 54 views)
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
OH WOW! Looks outstanding!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Looks nice and comfortable. Not sure about your knob though.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Fancy having that done mine now....although Id hate to copy Really want the red stitching.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #408 of 612 Old 04-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So phoned the Wizard today to book my GT in for her bespoke front section of stainless exhaust. Ryan does a lot of race car team stuff, and is a master craftsman when it comes to stainless pipes and spotless welds. So am looking forward to the 10th of November. I will also be incorporating my usa SS Evac scavenger valve into the front part of the system. This meaning all the crankcase crap and fumes can be blown out the rear of the exhaust. At the moment i am venting to a small breather filter through a twin rutland catch can setup. The amount of crap the catch cans are catching is quite substantial. Absolute huge peace of mind that crap is not being pumped round my induction system and new turbo. If you love your JTDm, and plan to keep it for the long term like i do, i would recommend doing the same. Anyhow i digress. In conversation with Ryan i did mention i would like her to be more vocal. As just doing the rear section without silencer really never made much if any aural difference. Joel's mighty GTB turbo'd 147 at JTD performance' sounds absolutely awesome. And i would really like to achieve the same. I am deliberating whether to have a front silencer or not, or if so a small one? Also Joel's 147 is a shorter car than the GT so the sound has less to travel? Anyhow all this will be discussed in depth on the 10th.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evac.JPG (23.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg valve.JPG (81.8 KB, 13 views)
JS JTD and Bazzabara like this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
(Post Link) post #409 of 612 Old 10-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well i am presently at the Wizard of OZ having the front part of my bespoke exhaust system made. Decided on no silencers, just the best flow path possible. I have done my research and i think she will be best like this. With a little more audible growl on acceleration. Must admit the bottom of the car will look immaculate when the front part of the system is fitted. I have lost quite a bit of weight losing the heavy oem system too.

Ok more info this evening when i drive her home.. Looking forward to that..

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

I hope it lives up to your aural expectations Damien.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #411 of 612 Old 10-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Thanks Paddy

Its the last real bastian really to creating a nicer more vocal sound, i am not expecting too much. She is after all a 4 cylinder jtd. But a bit of character would be nice. I have heard GT's with similar straight through designs. I am confident this second phase will make a noticeable difference, unlike just fitting the rear unsilenced section. Its more about the flow to be honest.
Next step is WMI and then time to live map her on the Rolling road with Autolusso's top techie. Also in need of a 3 bar map sensor now. Things are progressing nicely.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #412 of 612 Old 10-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So what a day. Ryan did an awesome job of the system. Fits like a dream. And looks delish.

So what does it sound like? Well finally you can hear her. The car has character. I know it's hard to believe, it shouldn't be but she sounds pretty guttural, and meaty. Joels big turbo 147 properly motivated me to what could be achieved with this engine and i think i have a similar level of sound. The amount of volume is really something it's a properly really free flowing system..

A few things are to be addressed. As when you create such a huge change in backpressure as i have, you need to fine tune the cars boost, fueling etc. All the parameters have been thrown by this latest modification, and they will be addressed very soon with a live RR mapping session with Autolusso top mapping techie. Hoping to be fitting a 3 bar map sensor too.

The larger flow and bore exhaust should give me beneficial gains higher up the rev range when properly mapped. I was going to wait until the WMI was fitted, but she needs tuning sooner than later now.

Here are a few pics from today..Huge thanks to Ryans hard work. Absolute top bloke and bloody genius, very proud to have one of his beautiful bespoke systems on my car. Also Dan at Wizard for all his patience and guidance..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby R 1.jpg (123.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg baby R 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg baby r3.jpg (30.3 KB, 151 views)
tejay, JS JTD, edraven71 and 1 others like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Do you have a bigger pic of the cat Damien? That one won't enlarge for some reason. Ryan looks to have done a great job as usual, 63mm all the way through now will see you right all the way to 300hp
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #414 of 612 Old 11-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Here you go Dan. Not the best pic quality wise. Ryan took some better ones. He did an awesome job. Top bloke and very talented at what he does.
Spoke to Ned yesterday and hopefully going to get some dyno time very soon, to get her running balanced again.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat ryan.jpg (98.6 KB, 21 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Nice Damien,

all coming together....! it will be an awesome machine when done...damn, it is already but you really are pushing the envelope!

I am doing some work behind the scenes to procure a 3.2...i'm just not sure I have it in me to spend anymore on the smoker...hugely decreased work mileage is playing it's part as well.

but

I did the maths.

what I have spent + what I will need to spend to get it over the finish line = ***** it get a Busso! it is an amazing car but petrol is so much more where I want to be I think.

I have two possibles on the radar...

watch this space.
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Video with a soundtrack is now obligatory
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #417 of 612 Old 12-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Cheers guys...

Joe... I understand. And to be honest this may sound like i am going against my own project way of thinking. I think you should get a busso, i think having the 3.2 will be sensational. But get a solid good one. Its like having a mini maserati..It would suit you. I had the Gt 3.2 discussion with Ned along time ago when coming back to GT ownership. And i was torn between what to do. I saw the tuning potential in the cloverleaf 170. I am here now and it's been a learning curve i won't kid you. To be honest i am a realist and i knew it would be a challenge. So i was ready, and Ned, Autolusso have been brilliant with developing my project.
A good 3.2 is less fussy by far. Ok maintenance is not super cheap, but when its a solid lump when kept well serviced. And they will be the one that will go up in value very soon, with the GTA's, when the Alfa brand in the uk becomes mighty again.

To be honest if i could afford it, i would have a mint 3.2 with one of Autolusso's 3.8 conversions with one of their sequential boxes. That's my dream..I am just waiting for a lottery win.

I love what i have achieved with my clover and i know you had similar ideas. But if you are to do less mileage and take in the fact the Busso Alfa's will soon be going up in value. Its a no brainer. Just for gods sake get a solid one. And how about transferring all your chassis mods over to it? You will really have no trouble selling your Blackline. Remember people prefer to buy standard mint examples of special editions.

Look forward to see what evolves. Go drive a really good GT 3.2 Joe..I promise you will be grinning from ear to ear.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

I don't think the GT 3.2 will appreciate in the same way the GTV / 156 and 147 will because of the GTA name.
But it will probably be the better all round buy because of that.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Did you get the Scavenger fitted? Just wondered how it worked if you did.

Also just wondered why you went with a sports cat rather than straight through if you are still going for more power, as even the sports cat will give more back pressure once you start going for bigger numbers.
(Post Link) post #420 of 612 Old 13-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Yes Paul it's in the front pipe. It came with a thread and screw plug, so thats in there until i get round to screwing in the valve, and attaching and routing the necessary length of hose to the breather exit.

Damien.
edraven71 likes this.
(Post Link) post #421 of 612 Old 14-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Busy little evening in the bat cave.

Replaced the non maf side of the airbox with one i bought from Autolusso. Polished and cleaned it to an inch of its life and it looks brand new. Also while i was there removed and cleaned all my induction and FMIC hoses. Well i was under there. Also go the krust out and covered all the rusty bits under there. Do this every oil change. Do Alfa's need protecting or what!

Also saw that the steering boot was literally completely detached, so slung another zip tie and secured. Job done. Lucky for me the boot was not torn.

Moved the actuator lower vacuum hose, and replaced with some silicone boost hose i had leftover from my last project, and wrapped it in heat protection lagging, as the old one had been catching the turbo causing it to burn and singe slightly. Anyhow the vacuum line is well away of the turbo now.

Also fitted my new M-tech short shift bracket. Removed the battery and battery tray for the first time and took the opportunity to clean the metal tray thoroughly and rust protected it too.

Once all the tray etc was removed the new bracket was easily fitted in situ. Only the oem counterweight weight had to be removed for the new bracket to bolt on.

So what do i think of it. Well not much at the moment to be honest. With the car sat, and the clutch depressed the gear changes seem awkward and notchy. With 5th and 3rd the hardest to select. So not happy really. Have put her all back together tonight, so will take her for a small test run tomorrow to see how the shift is in motion. But at this moment i am not impressed with the imprecise action. The gearchange on my clover was lovely and smooth. I know the action is long on the GT, but i would rather it was smooth than notchy and awkward.. Time will tell, and i'll give it a go. I did have to adjust the arm slightly for it to sit straight on the ball joint connector.

Anyhow oil change tomorrow, and test run to check for any boost leaks in the Induction hoses.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new shift.jpg (78.7 KB, 26 views)
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
It might just need some fettling to get the gear changes smooth.
VO2Max

Loving your work (as ever), Damien!

I'm another who finds the sound of a 1.9JTDm not particularly unpleasant, when on the move and giving the full gas through the gears - slightly gruff and a boxy 'sing'.

I only have the OEM exhaust system, and I find what you're doing with your exhaust very interesting. It seems that you have either zero or at least, vastly reduced silencing now?

Is this going to get through the MOT though, in terms of the noise regs? And do your neighbours' curtains twitch every time you fire her up?

VO2Max

And by the way...very interested to see just what power and torque figures you're going to come up with after the re-remap!

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Also fitted my new M-tech short shift bracket. Removed the battery and battery tray for the first time and took the opportunity to clean the metal tray thoroughly and rust protected it too.

Once all the tray etc was removed the new bracket was easily fitted in situ. Only the oem counterweight weight had to be removed for the new bracket to bolt on.

So what do i think of it. Well not much at the moment to be honest. With the car sat, and the clutch depressed the gear changes seem awkward and notchy. With 5th and 3rd the hardest to select. So not happy really. Have put her all back together tonight, so will take her for a small test run tomorrow to see how the shift is in motion. But at this moment i am not impressed with the imprecise action. The gearchange on my clover was lovely and smooth. I know the action is long on the GT, but i would rather it was smooth than notchy and awkward.. Time will tell, and i'll give it a go. I did have to adjust the arm slightly for it to sit straight on the ball joint connector.
Interesting.....

Mine turned up today, so I'll have a go at fitting and report back what it does to my shift feel...

EDIT

Just finished... 10-15 min job all in, very simple to fit.. I removed the engine cover, but that was it.. Enough room to get a 3/8ths wrench down under the PS reservoir and swing about, reaching over the top boost pipe...

So the shift feel - 100% notchier... Can find all gears no trouble, but definitely feels like the stick is more connected to the gears now..

I guess what you'd expect by shortening the lever, you get a lot more feedback and have to put in a bit more effort..

I didn't go so far as adjusting the cable as Damien did... Has resulted in the gearstick sitting a little further forward in neutral, but still plenty of clearance between gears etc.. Can find them all with the engine running..

Will give it a week and see how I settle in with it!
ALFADOIT likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 14-11-15 at 15:22.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year