Coming back to GT ownership after a 3 year break, and build thread...:-) - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 296Likes

(Post Link) post #251 of 612 Old 23-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
see t3yls I don't agree...

I like the TT don't get me wrong, but wouldn't look twice at it....they are common as muck!

see 10 a day...were as if I see another GT its maybe one a week, if that. you would normally pay a huge premium for that kind of exclusivity.

and I don't agree about the interior either especially after the brand new M3 that I had as a hire car between GT's...very Blah.

nicely bolted together but blah drive, interior and exterior styling.

I think the GT has it over the brera too having driven 3 or four and really wanting one I kept coming back to the GT on usable back seats roomy boot, lighter chassis and handling.

the Brera is a heavy lump and as a result has poor economy on all of the engines. Other than the prodrive it would be pasted by the equivalent engined GT.

I mean what really out there that looks great and offers all the GT does?

you have to go into serious money!

porsche panamera or toyota GT, or a used maserati 3200 or a DB9 none have the economy..have to admit I do like the Z4 coupe but only two seats and poor bootspace even though they are coming down in price.

audi smaudi! wouldn't touch one.
True Joe

You have to be a true Alfa enthusiast to own and develop one though. They are as fragile as a paper kite. All my fast audi's just got on with the job in hand..I wish my GT had that german build quality, i do miss it. Although i am pretty much on top of my GT now, inside out, back to front under bonnet, underground overground wombling free...

It's certainly not a car to forget about, it needs nurturing and attention. But hey suppose it keeps things interesting right..

Damien.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Bmws always have boring interiors. Its the only thing that puts me off.
But there's loads about. Easy to work on. The big straight 6 is mechanical genius but by god are they souless. And I hate using that word.

I know you're not a mincer. As clearly stated. But if you say to most people are I drive a TT they will think you work in a salon.

Thats just the stigma. Just the same as they state alfa are unreliable and built from tin.
But none of those are facts just perception.

People do think the GT is special.
The look the interior (even if dated)

My poor little alfa still has people comment on the interior. Isn't it nice in here. Love the soft touch dash etc. All materials they can't use now due to recycling laws.

And mine is a good 14 years old so worn torn with the amount of used it.

Any car of similar age doesn't come close.
Shame I have the boring four pot. But the gta is scandalously priced at a few k more than any ts. And im sorry is it worth it... not sure.

I really wish they would have done the 2.5 v6 in the 147.

Will just have to wait for a half decent 156 sportswagon to pop up. But they are like rocking horse poop.
Ill probably end up with the five pot 159 though.

Then ill have missed the busso.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
I mean what really out there that looks great and offers all the GT does?
I agree, its a lot of car for the money. But you've also done...Quaife, eibach arb's, swirl flap delete, egr delete and re-map to 200 BHP,bilstien kit and de-cat down pipe (copied from above).

In original format, the list can go on for ever in terms of improvements. But its not like we're being picky and, for example, the original suspension and ride height is fine - it looks terrible and rolls around a corner. If you're ok with that, then all good. But if you want modern car expectations then you need to change so much.

I bet Damiens' spent close to 100% of the cars price on mods and fixing stuff - I just don't see the point in doing that to the 1.9 GT.
(Post Link) post #254 of 612 Old 23-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
I agree, its a lot of car for the money. But you've also done...Quaife, eibach arb's, swirl flap delete, egr delete and re-map to 200 BHP,bilstien kit and de-cat down pipe (copied from above).

In original format, the list can go on for ever in terms of improvements. But its not like we're being picky and, for example, the original suspension and ride height is fine - it looks terrible and rolls around a corner. If you're ok with that, then all good. But if you want modern car expectations then you need to change so much.

I bet Damiens' spent close to 100% of the cars price on mods and fixing stuff - I just don't see the point in doing that to the 1.9 GT.
I respect that t3yls...But as i said i like developing cars i have a passion for. Some people spend crap loads on golf, beer, prostitutes and holidays. I get a buzz from developing my GT. For me it feels twice the machine it was when i bought it. So validation wise im happy with that. I do respect and understand your argument though.

Damien.
baxter2308 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
I respect that t3yls...But as i said i like developing cars i have a passion for. Some people spend crap loads on golf, beer, prostitutes and holidays. I get a buzz from developing my GT. For me it feels twice the machine it was when i bought it. So validation wise im happy with that. I do respect and understand your argument though.

Damien.
Agreed all the way pal. Saying that it's now got to the point that I'm pretty sure people are concerned by my devotion to the Alfa. "Mate, you're still single!" Yeah I know, but do you have 300 ft/lbs of torque and nicely greased flanges? I think not.

ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post

Damien.
I do miss whisky and hookers!..haven't been able to afford either since the GT!

seriously though..I wouldn't do it again although i'm very happy with the results....when you look at the final bill its silly and I could have had the Z4 coupe no problem on what I have spent including purchase price...still wouldn't give the economy 4 seats and boot space though. the GT will have to be trouble free for at least 30k other than service items to come close to paying me back what I have lavished on her.

but its a mentality that I understand, to clarify.

i'm a pro guitarist and have not bought a single guitar that didn't need work of some kind to make it the instrument I want, Fenders are crap out of the box and need IMO a set up, new pick-ups hardware and a bone nut, ..that's changing pretty much everything but the wood..! for most bedroom guitarists though good enough in stock form.

average cost of a fender is around 800 new , the cost of all the ''mods'' is roughly half of that, making fender the Alfa of the guitar world. I could buy a Tokai or PRS and play it on stage straight out of the box. but...

they will never have the ''magic'' of an imperfect but well sorted Fender Telecaster.

back to the Alfa's

they ARE fragile and its things like the endless triggers broom situation with the suspension parts make them expensive to own but when its all done its worth it.

I hope.

that said once my ''final bit of work'' is done if she throws up any other problems of significance she will be going in favor of something German and more solidly built.

sod the passion and flair, my pockets are only so deep...and unlike the guitars the car is not my living nor a conduit through which I express myself creatively.

after the last year and first of Alfa ownership I can only come to the conclusion that the reputation for poor build quality is not entirely undeserved, I do hope in future that they rectify this and start serving up some consistent quality.

then a few cars down the line I can buy a nice used Guilia!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Good comments guys - enjoying the thread
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Quote:
sod the passion and flair, my pockets are only so deep...
That's what usually ruins it for most people.
Mine has also been a bugger but I drive quite hard on the first couple of engines and blew the pants out of them. Thing being petrols are easy to fix and swap. And good TS engines are as cheap as a full service if you do it yourself.

I just made sure the chassis was okay. Something that plagues all cars.
If the chassis wasn't that good I would have given up.

However the 1.8 although not powerful matted with the longer ratio's is just a peach.
Rev happy. Almost as much power as the 2.0 with no balance belts etc.

Have thought about getting a set of cam's to up the power (can always sell them afterwards or even take them to the next car if I stick with the engines) to get the little plucky alfa up to 160-170hp but given the driving I do hardly seems worth it these days.

I'd like to see if you could get circa 270hp out of the 1.9.
That would be very impressive numbers.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
I'd like to see if you could get circa 270hp out of the 1.9.
That would be very impressive numbers.
You can, its been done & reliably too. There's a thread on here, in the tuning lounge I think. Performance is seriously impressive! 60mph - 120mph acceleration quicker than a GTA.
ALFADOIT and baxter2308 like this.
(Post Link) post #260 of 612 Old 25-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
You can, its been done & reliably too. There's a thread on here, in the tuning lounge I think. Performance is seriously impressive! 60mph - 120mph acceleration quicker than a GTA.
That would be Joel at JTD performance Dan..

Its stupendous what he reliably puts out with his 147 1.9 jtd's GTB conversion and WMI. All day everyday reliably. Joel has been a great help in my 1.9jtd motivation to be honest. Really nice knowledgable enthusiastic guy. And a pioneer for proving what can achieved with this engine.
I have the right clutch the FMIC , q2 and the decent flowing injectors already on my 170 clover. All i would need is a new map sensor and larger MAF..and of course a decent WMI setup to take the GTB turbo on. The kit would come with downpipe.

Back to reality and the moment, and with the next step being WMI, i have an appointment with a company called Devilsown, based right on my doorstep in Wiltshire. I have seen some clean installs done on some show cars by them, and their equipment seems to prove very reliable. Hopefully i can fit a large part of the kit myself. Need to make a decision on how large a tank i want first. I really think this will improve matters considerably, especially after talking to guru's Ned and Joel on the subject. And it's a great future proof base for any more power upgrades, "if required".

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
your a Lunatic Damien! this car is going to need wings by the time you have finished!

I get it though and its good to see a project done properly and to the absolute end destination with no compromises....good on Ya

where would we be if people didn't push the boundaries from time to time...?
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

It's going to need bigger driveshafts by the end of it :-)

All good. Will await more interesting updates
(Post Link) post #263 of 612 Old 30-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So busy day.. Woke up with man flu this morning.. But have been waiting all week on my trip over the pond to get cracking with a few jobs on the GT. So two dissolving paracetamol tabs and a cup of coffee later i cracked on..Decided to raise the suspension one collar rotation. I love how she sits, but unfortunately i have not enough damper stroke for the car to be acceptable on the comfort side..Plus i am concerned about the pressure on my wishbones with the ride this stiff, so something had to give. I hope i can find a happy medium. After careful further coilover research, what i need is a design that the body does the height adjustment and not the pressure on the spring. That way i can have them low like i have them without it effecting the ride quality. My last Bilsteins B16's were the same if not worse with this issue. I do wonder if KW V3's would have been better for this? Not sure. Neds bespoke eibach springs on my coilovers help matters a bit as the spring coils are slightly stiffer and are more distanced. More research needed. Also i have the new windscreen being fitted tomorrow. So in preparation i took away all the lower plastic cowling and wipers. Not a funny job i can tell you. frown emoticon Typical Alfa engineering and quality fought me all the way..Firstly had to remove the torx screws securing the " piece cowling. And being Alfa they were made of swiss cheese. Had to carefully drill a few of them out with my rounded screw removal tool. Few new screws needed. Then the cowling itself. Alfa in its infinite wisdom decided to use pressure push stud plastic clips..So removing each clip was fun trying not to damage the paint at either side of the screen frame. And after waiting 2o minutes to let the wd40 soak into the corroded wiper splines, they unwillingly came off.."And phew..no paint was scratched in the making of this movie" Some interesting stuff gets under that cowling..Erm a small mouse nest?? God knows how? I guess the car was stood for a while in a garage or barn..by its last owner, explaining the low mileage and lack of use when i bought her? Anyhow all clean and polished under there and gave the wiper mechanism a quick lube etc. I am going to refurbish the cowling before it goes back on, so it will be lovely and black. Fingers crossed Autoglass don't make any mistakes tomorrow, i've done the lion's share of work for them now.. Right i'm ready to drop..Time for a much needed cup of tea..

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
What's wrong with your current windscreen?
(Post Link) post #265 of 612 Old 30-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
What's wrong with your current windscreen?
Got a crack in the line of sight.. Happened a few months ago..So new screen going in tomorrow. It's been a carry on because i specified a genuine alfa seal. As it has a large top lip that meets the roof line. They use thin lip seals and you can see a gap at the top of your windscreen... Not happening with my car..

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Have you thought about something like D2's as they lower the shocker rather than a spring platform so you keep the full shock travel.
Can't tell you what they are like as never used them but did look at them before I put my Z8's on (which I find very comfortable, much better than the Novitec's I had on before, even running lower than the old ones) but there are a few guys who have used them so maybe worth a question or two.
(Post Link) post #267 of 612 Old 30-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Have you thought about something like D2's as they lower the shocker rather than a spring platform so you keep the full shock travel.
Can't tell you what they are like as never used them but did look at them before I put my Z8's on (which I find very comfortable, much better than the Novitec's I had on before, even running lower than the old ones) but there are a few guys who have used them so maybe worth a question or two.

Paul you mean V 2's? I have not heard about D 2's before. That's where the comfort lies for me, being able to lower her without having to compromise with stiffer ride characteristics.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
D2's are from the Japshop ALFA ROMEO D2 COILOVERS - few guys on the GTA room had them fitted, maybe a while ago as haven't been looking for a while but may be similar principal.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
The GTA guys seem to rate these which are height adjustable through the damper body like it says in the instructions.
BR Series Coilovers | BC Racing Coilovers they do them for 147 and 156 so I'm sure they'd work on a GT.
Or just go back to FSD'S and Eibachs cos they work lovely
(Post Link) post #270 of 612 Old 01-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
D2's are from the Japshop ALFA ROMEO D2 COILOVERS - few guys on the GTA room had them fitted, maybe a while ago as haven't been looking for a while but may be similar principal.
Thanks Paul.. Will have a looky.

Al i know the FSD's work for you and i am happy about that..For me the eibach pro s are infinitely better than the old FSD setup...Handling is fantastic. Its just because i am a fussy ****, and want to have stance also. Not ridiculous scraping stance just nicely done. And the Eibach pro are just to harsh at the ride height "i want". Will see i have tweaked them today going up a few mill. Will see how she feels like that.

Also Alex can you imagine what my GT would look like with FSD's, considering all the weight taken out the back..lol..Probably stock 4x4 height.. I know they work really well for what you want them for.. And i did enjoy them on my old GT once the eibach ARB's were fitted.

Damien.

Just had a look at the D2 coilovers, very interesting..I like the damper adjustability, and of course the way they are adjusted as previously discussed. Seems like a decent product to me. Might do some research on the company and check out the reliability of the product.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 01-07-15 at 00:38.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Looky Looky

I'be not really read all of the posts, what about a 2.4 conversion..... Bigger turbo, better mapping?

Would the brera 2.4 work? 260 bhp.
(Post Link) post #272 of 612 Old 01-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
I'be not really read all of the posts, what about a 2.4 conversion..... Bigger turbo, better mapping?

Would the brera 2.4 work? 260 bhp.
I can hit easy 260 with a JTD performance GTB turbo kit and around 500lbft ..And honestly i think that would be enough. My engine has 40k is really healthy be daft to drop in a bigger heavy 2.4 lump.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #273 of 612 Old 01-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So another wrong window seal supplied by Autoglass for my GT today meant windscreen fitting is delayed till tomorrow.

Still gave me time to refurbish and plastic colour respray my windscreen cowling. Having a black car all the grey bits show up, and although the car is pampered, the plastic had began to look a little bit weather beaten. After a good rub down, and patient tactics to applying coats of the plastic black paint, all looked a lot better. Also bought some new screws and waterproof black caps to protect the 2 in view from the elements. Looking forward to seeing it fitted when the new screen is in.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cowling.jpg (73.8 KB, 21 views)
(Post Link) post #274 of 612 Old 02-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So i have finally found a really nice ride height for my GT. Never scrapes speed bumps or has trouble with multi storey car parks. She sits so nicely on her 18 inch clover wheels.

I have always prefered my cars relatively low. I really feel beautifully shaped cars are personified by a nice stance. Saying that with pleasure always comes a bit of pain. The fact is the lower i go on my coilovers the harsher the ride quality. It's basic physics. You are basically reducing the damper stroke and damper effectiveness when you lower a car. The Eibach pro S coils are fine a little lower than stock ride height, but when you go as low as my GT is now, they become overly harsh. Not the coilovers fault but mine.

So what is the answer? I have been doing a fair amount of research on the subject. Its simple i have to get it right for my car. I need a really comfortable ride quality with my desired ride height. Plus the harsher ride since lowering is accelerating my wishbone wear.

There are 2 types of coilovers, one's that adjust the ride right by altering the pressure on the spring. The other by adjusting the shock body. One major difference here. With the adjusting shock body no compromise is made to the ride quality. Unlike the spring adjusting version where spring pressure dictates the ride comfort. So for me it's a no brainer. I have found a company who do adjustable shock body and comfort settings. They also do an ultra low kit.

I have a few choices. I could purchase and replace just the 2 front eibach coilovers with the new body adjustable units. The rear eibachs are actually ok as they still have loads of adjustability left meaning their damper stroke is not compromised.

Or just replace one kit for the other and sell the 12 k mint Eibach pro S kit on to someone who would like to use them for the height they were designed for.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg costa low.jpg (119.8 KB, 44 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
So how much of a drop in ride height are you seeking, and what sort of height does your Pro S kit sit happily at?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
back , break , build , coming , ownership , thread , year