(URGENT!)iS it worth buying a catd car, ALFA ROMEO GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 17-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Gt

(URGENT!)iS it worth buying a catd car, ALFA ROMEO GT

I saw great deal of offer on an alfa romeo GT, current milleage is 32666, but it is classified as a CAT D car , user says all that was affected was the bonnet and bumper which as been fixed accordingly.

I will like to ask, have you ever bought a CAT D car and what is your experience and your advise on this acquisition.

Attached in this article is the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_78.JPG (1.8 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg $_80 (1).JPG (38.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg $_80.JPG (59.3 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire
No problems at all

My last two cars gave being car c and never had an issue
AO Gold Member
Yeah, no real reason to worry, but the price should be less than an unrecorded car. Cat D can be very light damage.

Like Swampy I've frequently had Cat C cars and even they often only need bolt-on bits......

If the deal is good, I'd go for it.....tho bear in mind if its a four-cylinder petrol its about due a belt change.......factor that into the price.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Just make sure that you inform your insurance company if you were to get it, could invalidate your insurance if you don't.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

No problem with the car, just get an insurance quote first as some insurers will not insure a cat D/C car
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Insurance companies take into account the cost of hire cars, out of pocket expenses and so on, sometimes the total claim for even a minor bump can run into eye watering claims. The insurance companies will cut their losses and run, writing off perfectly good cars.

A Cat D car needs nothing more than a current MOT to satisfy the law, some insurance companies may require the vehicle to undergo a new MOT to confirm its roadworthiness, but I'm pretty sure the law doesn't require it.

As long as the asking price reflects the fact it's been recorded and you're aware it'll affect your resale value then it should not stop you buying it. There may be other reasons not to buy unrelated to the write off of course, just as there would be any other car.

Good luck

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
Remember that the price you get come sale or trade in also lower.

Insurers add extra on their premium for CAT cars. They are statistically more likely to be involved in an accident again.

Finally, be sure the fixes are redone properly. The industry in buying, cheap fixing and reselling CAT cars is strong.
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross
No problem at all. my gta sportwagon is a cat d.it was even cheaper to insure than my honda crv.good luck
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6 orange

At the end of the day as long as its mechanically sound and there is no chassis damage it does not matter, in fact you grab more of a bargain . Good luck, looks like a lovely GT
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
I wouldn't have a problem as long as the price is correct and the repairs have been properly done.
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
Just make sure it trAcks up..... If tracking is good it will be fine. Tracking bad..... What's bent?
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 18-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Gt

Guys many thanks for the responses, it has been really reassuring, honest thanks a lot, I Will try drawing down the price tomorrow for better bargain, more so I have called my insurance company and made them aware the price is right.
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

So long as you are sure the work has been done properly then I see no problem.
My GT is a CAT D. Bumper and wing damage on the offside.
I'm not convinced now after two years mine was repaired as well as it could have been.

So that's my advice, just be careful. I will add my friend has a concourse Ferrari F355 that wins or is always in the top three in its class both NW and National. His 'is' a CAT C, the car had been rolled down an embankment.
That car is perfect if such a word can be used. Ferrari could never have produced it to that standard.
So there you go, check the repair receipts if possible, surprise, surprise mine had little in the way of history. I also now believe I paid a little over the odds for the car, but you live and learn

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
My spider was involved in a rear end shunt last year,only damage was to rear bumper and rear light cluster and the back panel in the boot was damaged,the insurance company wrote it off,I got a very fair settlement from them and bought it back I replaced the bumper and light cluster and the panel was repaired,insurance company asked me to get a vic check done and a new MOT,they then put it back on full cover at no extra cost,so would say if the repairs have been done correctly and the car has a valid MOT then you will have no problem insuring it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , buying , car , catd , romeo , urgentis , worth