Pre-MOT checks and annual service - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Pre-MOT checks and annual service

So MOT due at end of June ....

Following replacement of front pads and discs, and two new tyres prigress today has been slow but productive.

Firstly two new rear Meyle HD drop-links as there was slight play in one. All went to plan until I tried to fit n/s and ball-joints turned ... didn't do that on o/s ... these don't have torx/hex holes so several mins lost trying to find a thin open ended spanner that would hold threads while tightened nuts.

Air filter was next and usual screw problem. Two were ok but one at front would not turn so battery, and battery tray had to come out to get the housing out the top. I fitted the V6 pipe years ago and it came out easily as I'd applied a thin film of grease where it plugs into filter box. So two bolts out intact and one snapped head. Luckily the lid is a tight fit around the remaining sleeve so that went back with two well copper greased screws and put it all back.

Next up plugs ... all but two came out easily. Plugs in cyl 1 (nearest belts) were very oily from overspill even though I use a funnel. Small plug in three just wouldn't fit in socket and then noticed some broken black plastic at bottom. Dragged out using blob of grease on long screwdriver blade. Large plug in 4 was tight so worked it out but turning left then right a few times. Thread on plug looked ok and as well as I could see so was head. Copper grease on new threads and put it back slowly. Got harder towards end so backed off and tried again. Gently torqued all plugs to minimum spec.

Then bl**dy thing refused to start ... wiggled all the relays and eventually power ...

Next up oil and filter change and replace two short hoses on filter heat-exchanger as they both leak a bit from age. Nice new silicon hose going on with new hose clips.

Finally swap out from pad springs as one broke and other is pretty naff ... (ECP about 8 a pair including delivery).

More later ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-10 09.52.34.jpg (117.4 KB, 4 views)

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 10-05-14 at 20:04.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Thumbs Up

Ok .. so after some lunch drained oil and removed filter. Then I could see the leak in the small heat exchanger pipe. The hose clip had cut into it.

Anyway clips came off easily with my hose-clip pliers ... but here the fun starts. There is literally no space between the two pipes and the exchanger. I had thought about removing the exchanger but the wasn't going to work as there would be no room to move it iff on the centre pipe. So once I'd sliced open the old hose and drained the coolant I had a think and decided to gently pull the pipe out of alignment just enough to slip over the new hose. Then repeated the exercise with the other one closest to the block. I was going to fit new hose clips but they would be too wide so cleaned up the old ones and put them back after checking the would work with the new silicon hose. I slid the hose as far as I could onto the feed pipes and gently pushed them back to align then. Then slid the hose down and over the end of the exchanger pipes to the butt point. Re-clipped the hose clips and admired my handy work.

New "Clean" filter (the brand name from AlfaShop) on and tightened. Then nipped up the sump plug to the lowest torque rating. Refilled with Valvoline Long Life and topped up coolant. Fired up .... quieter! And checked for leaks ... none.

Quickly whipped off front wheels to replace calipers springs and re-torqued wheel nuts.

Then off to collect SHMBO from station to give it a run. Will put ali undertray back on tomorrow after a clean up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-10 16.20.01.jpg (104.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-10 16.21.13.jpg (101.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by gazza82; 10-05-14 at 20:13.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Following this thread-my ts seems to have slightly different pipes but the same problem ! Did they change to 90 degree elbow rubber pipes at point ? Mine definitely aren't just 2 small straight pipes like these. Was it the hoses split or the clips biting into the hoses that was causing them to leak ? Did you lose all the coolant and have to start again with fresh ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

annual , checks , premot , service