Replace Both front pipes / flexi's on a 3.2 GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 27-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Well Happy Replace Both front pipes / flexi's on a 3.2 GT

I purchased both front pipes for£130

Spray the 13mm nuts on the engine cats with some penetrating oil mine undone ok except two so I banged on a half inch socket and removed them
On the flexi end the nuts were so rusted that there was nothing left to undo so out came the 4 inch angle grinder
I let the exhaust rubbers go so they hung lower
I then carefully ground them flush
Then drilled out remnants of the existing bolts
Using a couple of flat screwdrivers managed to separate the flanges
Once the old exhausts were out I then flushed off the remnants of the studs
Ordered new gaskets for both ends 4 in total
Worst job was drilling out old studs I flushed off both sides of the bolts on either side of the flanges on the lower two then starting off with a pilot drill worked my way up to 8mm ( very hard going took hrs )
Let the single rubber go further back to give better access to top two bolts
Couldn't flush off bolts on the rear of Flange due to rubber brackets being to close to grind so just drilled them out
Once there drilled out clean up flanges fit new seals ( no exhaust paste required )
I made the mistake of fitting the longer exhaust first so you have been warned !
Used stainless steel Allen bolts with nuts and washers on the flexi ends (Allen end facing fwd)
New 13 mm nuts / washers on the engine end also gave the studs a coat of copper grease and also used the old nuts on the remaining thread to lock the nuts and protect the thread
Some people said that pattern parts didn't fit very well these were fine and genuine parts cost 150 per side I done both sides for 170 including nuts bolts seals washers and a new set of drills as the drilling took ages
I managed to do this job working under the car using ramps and breeze blocked rear tyres
Car now sounds awesome again and I asked ats for a quote and they couldn't give me one. So dread to think how much this job would of cost
Top tip buy some decent cobalt drills and drill slowly. Using lubricant

Last edited by Vodent; 12-06-14 at 10:26.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

3.2 , exhaust , flexi , front , pipes , replace