GT JTS - What should I look out for? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire
Cheers scotty. How come you don't see any posts about rattly variators on the gt compared to loads on the 147?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Probably because they are a bit newer or the fact most GT owners are diesel owners.
GT's are also a bit newer so are yet to really see any suffering the same issues as the 156 and 147 which are a bit longer in the tooth these days.

Its all about percentages.

Also you see far more posts about cambelts / rockers, EGRs regarding GT's. Purely because there are so many diesels.

The variators seem to last if oil has not run low a good 80-100k from new. Also as the majority of the time it causes no ill effects other than sound (And a bit of loss of mid range torque) I doubt anyone with the issue notices as much as it only happens on start up.

This is obviously my theory on the subject.

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Gold Member
I would also add that variators like clean oil, as well as keeping the oil topped up. It's a good idea to change the oil/filter every 6,000 miles/6 months, this really helps keeping everything clean, and it does help to preserve the variator.
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
I think all you gt tractor drivers need to look at the forum nearly all the complaints about GTs breaking down are diesels. And my consumption between the JTS Spider and GT tractor was a like for like runs a mix on the same road every day, on a run the tractor will rattle up to 50 and the spider 40 plus but take in all the extra repairs the tractor needs clutches, egr, turbo hoses, fuel pump leaks, injector faults, turbo failures, flaps falling off and destroying the engine etc etc and where is the saving.
I am not against diesels but the first owner who runs up 100k in 3 years under warranty is ok its the deluded fools who then buy that car thinking that it will go for ever with little or no servicing that gets bitten

(Post Link) post #55 of 56 Old 05-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

Thanks for such spirited conversations in this thread folks!

I phoned about the GT and had prepared a list of questions to ask based on some of your suggestions. The car was listed as being sold by a dealer and when I enquired if it was still for sale all I got was 'I only listed it for sale, its actually my daughters car; I'll have to ask her. She'll call you back in 5 minutes'

Dunno what strange time zone there is near Belfast but that was 5 days ago and I still haven't heard anything - I think I'm safe to assume the car is no longer for sale!

Last edited by glenda; 05-05-14 at 06:56. Reason: Dodgy spelling!
AO Member
County: Cork
Experience with a 'new' GT

A bit late for Glenda, but maybe useful for future GT buyers. Bought a 2004 GT 2.0 JTS, 85k mls in May. First Alfa ever, and I absolutely love it! Here is my experience of the first months...
- a very solid and well designed car, a real drivers car. A Coupe with a surprisingly roomy boot if seats are folded and very practical. Beautifully, classy and an amazing interior
- does 32-36mpg, slightly better since ECU reset, but never less than 32 (measured refill)
- sills were crushed like on all GTs I looked at by bad jacking up, no rust, just cosmetic.
- ECU reset cured all dodgy window winding, occasional erratic idling and performance
- air conditioning needs recharge as not as cool as it should be (often neglected on all makes)
- to work the climate control requires a PHD as minimum education... Still no clue how it works.
- rear hatch squeaked a bit, resolved by wiping seals with silicon oil/grease. Worth doing all seals at this age of car, as dried out rubber can shrink and even strain window winders
- gear change stiff, not returning to middle position. Sorted by 6 parts, plenty of copper grease, polishing the shaft - an easy 90min DIY job and a good way to check a few things in the engine compartment.
- the odd bulb went, all replaced by Canbus LEDs, which might last a bit longer
- mirrors don't fold - alloy hinges probably rotten - a problem on many older cars
- yes, this one definitely drinks oil - 1l/1000km the good 5W60 stuff
- radiator return pipe split. Can happen to any engine. Make sure all pipes are in their clips.
- slightly moist seal on steering rack, trying Lucas steering rack sealer as a first option
- a bit of a grunt front right when taking off under full lock - suspect upper wishbone bushes

Everyone tells you not to buy an Alfa, but as soon as you have on, everyone admires it... Definitely a lot of car for 2,8k and in much better condition than other cars, as they are looked after by enthusiasts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT