156 T/S timing belt issues, tensioners? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
156 T/S timing belt issues, tensioners?

Some issues with the 4 cylinder engine in the timing belt area.

This should be very relevant to people , would be greatly appreaciated if those who know can add something?

Started off trying to find a noise/clatter in the timing area.

Found the cam belt idler wheel that has stripped the thread in side of the engine.
Be careful here as the bolt does not protrude enough into the engine, so it can be stripped.
My solution is to put a long stud into the engine and secure the cam wheel with a nut.
You need to use the head of the bolt on the tensioner because it locates the bearing. Grind off the head and drill to suit a 8 mm stud.There is about 10mm of thread in the engine that is not used, locktite the stud.

Cam belt tension , how do others set it ?
Belt deflection , what amount?
Found the belt very tight ,too tight.

Balance shaft belt.
This has a idler wheel at the front, near the aircon,
which has a spring-loaded center that takes up movement in the belt.
Is this preloaded up to rotate the centre tang back?
It was noisy when it was slack. Clacking noise, thought it was stuffed but tried a diffent adjustment and it was mostly gone, the noise.

There is a lot of potential for noise and worse problems in this area, anyone here mastered the situation?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Never known the top idler strip the thread in the engine - but I guess your idea should work if you've got a stripped thread. Setting up the cambelt is a critical process on these engines, and really should only be done using the correct cam locks and the tool for adjusting the tensioner. I'm sure a search on here will flag up plenty of "how-to"s on the process - but if done properly the tensioner once set will be OK. When running it (the tensioner) will move in operation - this is normal.

Balance shaft belt tensioner is as you say spring-loaded - the complete unit is located on the block on a locating peg, and bolted firm. The tension is then released with a 15mm spanner (and often an extension as the spring tension is strong) as the belt is threaded into position - can be a real pain doing it single handed - but once set, again it should be fine.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

ive had TS engine cars which have had belts that have been fitted too tightly , imo its not a difficult belt to replace but it does need a certain amount of care to get the tension correct but using the correct timing kit is a massive help to get it right first time
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 23-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
The cam belt idler pulley had stripped the thread. I tapped further in as there was another 15mm to go but this was a weak area.
So i had no alternative to go from 8mm mount to 10mm.
There is not much room to work even with the engine lowered,so i have put a stud in with a lock nut on the outer.
By chance Fiat do an identical pulley with a 10mm center which just appeared, makes life easier.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 25-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Got it sorted out today. All the noises gone.

I note on the cam wheels there are marks for setting timing but can't see any corresponding marks on the cover?
Where are the marks on the head/cover?

Would like to check the timing as i used my own marks but don't have the cam locks yet?
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

There are no marks on the covers because they are not keyed - Least not on the inlet.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , belt , issues , t or s , tensioners , timing