I drove to work fine this morning but 20 minutes later my 156 refused to start again and the CODE light was lit in the information panel. I then spent some time researching the problem on here. So far I managed to get the car started using the Emergency Start Procedure which allowed me to get home. I have then tried the following:
1. Cleaned all contacts on the relays in front of the battery and sprayed with WD40 then moved them around - and put them back in original positions.
2. Located the well hidden immobiliser unit and unplugged both white connectors and reconnected them several times.
3. Measured the resistance in the ignition antenna (5.2 Ohms). Although not sure what it should be?
4. Disconnected the battery and left it for an hour before reconnecting.
5. Left key in ignition to see if the key and car sorted themselves out somehow (clutching at straws by now).
6. Reconnect battery with key in ignition.
7. Now leaving battery disconnected all night.
So far nothing has worked. And to complicate things even more the car now refuses to go into the mode where I can enter the Emergency Code to bypass the immobiliser.
I'm really not sure what to try next.
I know there are lots of you out there who have had this problem - the threads are extensive! - so I would be very thankful for any further advice.