How to tell when the DMF is on it's last legs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 17-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Johannesburg
How to tell when the DMF is on it's last legs

Like the heading says I suspect my DMF is on the way out. The car has a slight but noticeable drivetrain rattle. It goes away when I let it freewheel in neutral and its engine speed related. When it's cold it's normally quiet but within a few km's it normally starts to make the rattle.
I can also detect a very slight vibration through the clutch pedal that goes with it.

Im thinking it could be DMF or pilot bearing, any help would be appreciated. Whats the worst that can happen if the DMF goes while I'm driving?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
I also have some problems with my dmf/clutch. Judder in take off, vibrations on idle and below 1000 rpm, in neutral I can see the right wiper vibrating 1-2 mm up and down ...
Clutch pulls fine but cannot for sure know what is the problem. Some say that they never seen failed DMF on a 1.9 8v engine, some say it is dmf, some say it is somting from clutch kit, some say it is Stig
My biggest dilema is why there is no judder in reverse, if there was I can say for sure it is dmf/clutch, I don't have any warning light from engine, have a some smoke on pedal to the metal but I know it is old lower turbo hose and cloged inflow manifolt ...
Who know what can it be, all I know is that for a ~500 euros (month and a half salary) it is too risky for my cuorisity and end up with same problem again.
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Hate to say it, but mine does that, BUT I've had the clutch and DMF changed 3 months ago. I have worse vibration at Idle once it had been changed.
AO Member
My DMF has been rattling its nackers off since December - makes a right racket but drives fine...

I turn the stereo up and then all is well
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Originally Posted by j300sjl View Post
My DMF has been rattling its nackers off since December - makes a right racket but drives fine...

I turn the stereo up and then all is well
Mine did that, and I thought it was fine, until it broke on a mountain road three miles from a mobile signal. My DMF actually sheared in two and ended up just spinning! The garage that fixed it had never seen that before.
Up until then there was no sign of an impending failure. I first heard the death rattle in an underground car park, window down and stereo off. It sounds like bolts in a tumble drier. Walking round the car you will be able to pin point it in the gearbox area.
In my own experience it will go quite a while before dying but when it goes it goes and you are then facing a tow and a big bill.
Might be best to just have it fixed, expensive as that might be.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 156

AO Gold Member
Its one of the perks of driving a diesel engine
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

156 JTDm 16V

Originally Posted by mihecmiha View Post
Pretty much how mine was too, with a sort of grinding/growling noise when putting more power down. Since had a new clutch & DMF fitted so got to see the state of the old one. There wasn't any excessive play etc, but shaking it you could hear things rattling within, which helped me feel a little better after lightening my wallet somewhat!
yeah my 159 DMF has just replaced. Ive owned the car for 8 months, and originally thought it was just the noise of a diesel. Since i had the clutch and DMF replaced, my car is really quiet, and drives completely different. so quiet, costed 920 for the clutch, DMF and some other part that goes with it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dmf , legs