Sportwagon aerial booster - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GT Jts

Sportwagon aerial booster

Have very poor radio reception in our 156 SW. Had the head unit out and checked the wiring which appears sound with no spare wires anywhere so I assume the problem is with the external antenna (in roof spoiler) or the signal booster. Does anyone know where the signal booster is in the sportwagon? Is it in the boot hatch?
Sponsored Links
Re: Sportwagon aerial booster

Would like to find out about this also as reception is not good (particularly on MW/LW frequency) - I have aftermarket stereo fitted....
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

I think that the antenna is actually part of the heated rear window element. My 156's, fiat coupe's and current 166 have had the same set up - Radio reception is usually poor if I venture too far away from built up areas.

I think the only cure is to fit another aeriel.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

My 156 had the aerial in the rear window and the original Alfa-branded Phillips head unit but I found that it had excellent reception, especially on FM. If yours is poor it could be a damaged faux element in the rear screen or just a "deaf" head unit.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S 3.2 M

Not Happy Re: Sportwagon aerial booster

I had a 156 SW for three years and it was the same. The dealer's attitude was that all SWs were like that. I originally had a little stubby roof aerial which they changed for a longer one - it made no difference.

Now I have a 147 JTDm and it's not much better. I've just had a new head unit fitted and it's made no difference. I'd be interested to know where the booster is and why it's so **** poor.
AO Member

Likewise, my 156 Sportwagon has terrible reception and interference on FM, tried several headsets with only marginal difference. Mine is 2001 model and heated rear window is the aerial, not sure there is a booster. However, I have found that actually turning the heater rear window on improves the reception! Notice that later models have been fitted with a proper roof antenna, so may end up doing the same when I've solved other niggles.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aerial , booster , sportwagon