Inertia Switch Activated - Recurring False Alert - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By casesensitive
  • 1 Post By casesensitive

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 08-04-14 Thread Starter

County: Angus

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Hmmm Inertia Switch Activated - Recurring False Alert

I'm hoping someone on here can help with a bit of a weird problem that I can't find an answer to anyway.

The 'Inertia Switch Activated' warning continually appears along with an annoying warning and it also tries to unlock the doors. At no point does the fuel ever get cut off and it's somehow linked to the drivers seat. it originally it was only every now and again and I could adjust the position of the drivers seat and it stopped for a bit however it now goes off constantly.

I can stop it my lifting my ass off the seat (and before anyone asks I'm not a fat ass ) I'm fairly sure there is a short somewhere but can't see why it would trigger this alert or how to stop it happening.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me insane!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: New South Wales
hey mate i have a an inertia switch from a 156 2000 model 2.0TS, if its the same part i could post it off to you for the price of postage to the UK. Let me know if its the same part. PM me if you want it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 03-05-14 Thread Starter

County: Angus

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Apologies for the delayed response belavia, I've been on holiday.

Thanks very much for the offer but I don't think it's the inertia switch. I've had it in at the auto-electricians, he's tested it out and it seems to be fine. He thinks it's either a faulty body control module or a short or loose connection between the fuel inertia switch and the body control module.

All the electrics have been disconnected from the seat and it still happens so I'm thinking it must be something near the seat that's causing it. No idea what though so need to do some investigation...

AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Did you ever get this sorted? My 159 has started giving me grief (Inertial Switch Intervened) with inertia switch lately.
AO Member

County: Coimbra

Member car:

did you found the solution?
i have the same problem,
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbravo View Post
did you found the solution?
i have the same problem,
I can't speak for the OP, but I have solved my issue (Inertial Switch Intervened), and for no euros.
TLDR; I cleaned the extensive rust off my battery negative to body-earth strap.
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by casesensitive View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but I have solved my issue (Inertial Switch Intervened), and for no euros.
TLDR; I cleaned the extensive rust off my battery negative to body-earth strap.
thanks i will check that tomorrow, tha annoying soung is killing me, does your car make the same as mine?
some days i just get the error once, others are like this, and some days i dont get anything

AO Member

County: -
The switch has three wires. One of the fat ones goes to the fuel pump, the other fat one goes to a positive voltage supply. In normal operation these two are connected. When the switch is tripped, the circuit is disconnected.

The third wire (the skinny one) is almost certainly a status indicator. It's the one which is causing your faulty signal. I would presume it normally sends a 12V signal back to the body computer, and if the switch is tripped, no voltage at all.

This switch is on the cabin wiring harness, not the dash or engine harnesses. So there are several interconnects where you might have a problem with corrosion or weak contacts.
blackbravo likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
thanks i will check that tomorrow, tha annoying soung is killing me, does your car make the same as mine?
some days i just get the error once, others are like this, and some days i dont get anything
Hmm, no, mine didn't have an alarm, just a silent whole lot of nothing happening when I pressed the starter :-)
The clicking sound does sound like a big (60-80A) relay closing.
blackbravo likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
The switch has three wires. One of the fat ones goes to the fuel pump, the other fat one goes to a positive voltage supply. In normal operation these two are connected. When the switch is tripped, the circuit is disconnected.

The third wire (the skinny one) is almost certainly a status indicator. It's the one which is causing your faulty signal. I would presume it normally sends a 12V signal back to the body computer, and if the switch is tripped, no voltage at all.

This switch is on the cabin wiring harness, not the dash or engine harnesses. So there are several interconnects where you might have a problem with corrosion or weak contacts.
You're likely accurate about the wiring of the inertia switch, but on my car the error is a red herring. What made the issue go away in each case was pressing the reset switch attached to the positive battery terminal. So it may have nothing to do with the actual inertia switch at all? At least in my case. I'll stop hijacking now :-)
blackbravo likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by casesensitive View Post
Hmm, no, mine didn't have an alarm, just a silent whole lot of nothing happening when I pressed the starter :-)
The clicking sound does sound like a big (60-80A) relay closing.
so its not the same, already cleaned the earth points and the problem still remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post

yes just like you said, i already had searched in elearn the diagram of that skinny wire and i can't find do you have some diagram or photo of the possible interconnects. in some days the error not even pop up...

thank you both
AO Member

Member car:

so i followed the wire until i think it goes to the engine side, nobody have the diagram?
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
so i followed the wire until i think it goes to the engine side, nobody have the diagram?
Only what eLearn shows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inertia switch wiring.jpg (56.1 KB, 6 views)
AO Member

Member car:

already saw that...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
activated , alert , false , inertia , recurring , switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page