A long couple of days.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 05-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

Crazed A long couple of days....

So I've had the last two days off work to strip down large parts of my 147 and fit nice shiny new bits in time for the weekend. I sort of failed.

As it happens I ended up putting several more new bits on the car than I had originally intended, it's not quite ready to be used and is off to the dealer on Monday.... but more of that in a bit.

I previously fitted new front struts and springs, so the plan was to do the same to the back (as I had the parts) plus new discs and pads all round and new drop links - including Meyle HD front drop links.
My first comment is that front drop links are a complete and utter bar steward to get off, what a monumental pain in the backside it was getting them off Took far too long to get off and they were different types too requiring different techniques to get them off - which was nice. I liked fitting the Meyle HD links, they'll be much easier to get off again in the future as there's no bloody silly allen key fitting.
I fitted Brembo 'OE spec' front discs with genuine pads.

I was going to change the offside front wheel bearing as it's just started growling but whimped out I didn't have access to a press to get stuff out of the hub.... and I also just ran out of time with rear brake issues....so elected to fire into the dealers to do the wheel bearing work as they'll do it on Monday and others said 'oohhh..... be Wednesday earliest'.

To the back. Changing the rear struts and springs was easy, actually.... easier than I expected. I did indeed have one dodgy top mount (as I suspected) but the shocker was a rear drop link. It was properly goosed, with the car in the air I simply pushed it off the strut and the anti-roll bar I'm guessing it's been doing not very much for a while!

I fitted Delphi replacement rear links as I happened to have a pair handy.

It was whilst stripping things down to change the rear struts I noticed an issue with the nearside rear caliper and both handbrake cables. Whomever had fitted the OE handbrake cables at the dealer was an idiot, they'd only been on the car two years and were junk - looking at the state of the cables, I reckon a pair of sharp mole grips or pliers, cable ties and snips are that 'technicians' favourite tools. A wee bit of care and attention was all that was needed.

Despite various attempts to save the caliper the nearside one was utterly knackered. Off to the local motor factors and fortunately they had a reconditioned Lucas caliper and the handbrake cables in stock off the shelf. Which was nice and not too expensive at all costing £123 all in (no surcharge as I took in the knackered caliper).

New OE discs and pads fitted, new caliper fitted, handbrake cables fitted, brakes bled, wheels on..... a long two days came to an end. It's been a few years since I've done so much work on any car and to be honest I ache in some interesting places.... muscles are having a distinct WTF? moment this morning.

At least it's mostly finished, shame I couldn't get the bearing done myself but that's life I guess. Hopefully will see it back Monday afternoon, in time to get the wheel alignment done - again. So after years of saying I would never do major work on my own cars again...... it's happened. Damn and blast.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Well done

Front wheel bearing isn't really a DIY except for the very well equipped, garage-wise

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

couple , days , long