156 Pro's and Con's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

156 Pro's and Con's

I've owned my 156 2.0 TS Lusso (01 - X Reg) for around 2 months now and the car is running fine, sounds fantastic and appears to be gret value for money. However I have two small(ish) problems;

1. The Eng Mgt Light (amber) came on around 4-6 weeks ago and has mostly stayed on (was intermittant for the first couple of weeks). I was going to take it to my local Alfa dealers, but they seemed to be rather 'dis-interestered' in the fault and said that as long as it drives and sounds okay, there is no need to worry. They seemed rather surprised when I expressed an interest to get this seen to, but the rather high price of putting it on the diagnostics machine before they do any work has made me think twice. Hence, I haven't taken it in, but is there any checks I can do prior to putting the car in?

2. The other day the light failure caption (amber) came on. I've discovered that it's only one of the two rear reg plates lights. I went out last night with a torch to quickly replace the 'said' light only to find no easy means of gaining access! Any clues?

I must say, although I've owned many cars (Ford, Vauxall, Citroen, Subaru, BMW, Chrysler, Audi, Mazda, Peugeot, Smart, Land Rover, etc,..) including ones that were faster, more reliable, more economical; non made me feel this good at wanting to drive them. My Alfa has supressed all these other Marques..........for a total of 3k. Now that's a bargin!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: 156 Pro's and Con's

You have to live with Italian electronics (btw mostly Bosch components !!!)
All warning lights must be OUT ! numberplate lights are easy , just push the holder sideways and it pops out, engine warning light must be read out by Examiner.

I have 12 years of various Alfa's on my belt and I still love my 156,
every time I step in it I feel at home !!!
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

As it's a 2001 model, you should be able to get most auto-electricians to read the error codes on your car rather than paying Alfa's excessive hourly rate for 5 mons work! You might even find there's another 156 owner close by with their own kit!
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Thanks for both reply's. The bulb in the reg plate light is now done and I'll try to source a local auto electrician to identify the fault code.

I'm having exactly these same two problems - did you ever get to the bottom of the engine management light issue?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , con , pro