chips - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi Guys and girls i am thinking of getting my alfa 159 150 jtdm chipped or attaching a tunning box, and i was woundering how safe this is in the long run and does this have any detrimental effects on the car in any way, the power increase seems very impresive.

Sponsored Links
Re: chips

just do it clint...

AO Silver Member
County: -

Chips away!......
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S 3.2 V6

See my posts in other threads. I have a 159 2.4 with Steinbauer P Box giving engine and box warranty for 3 years. Turns an oil burner into a rally car! no complaints.
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

i would go for a proper ECU remap over a 'tuning box' every time. biggest reason being the custom ecu map will get the optimum performance gains out of YOUR car and take into consideration any other changes you have made, for example, a cold air intake or sports exhaust system. a tuning box is a standard program set to advance ignition and increase fueling to any car with the same engine. there is no guarantee it will give the gains claimed and it is more likely to do damage to your engine than a customised ecu remap.

a fave company on here seems to be angel tuning, do a quick search for them on google, give them a ring and ask to speak to nigel. tell him your got his name from here and im sure he will be more than helpful. (they come to you so no worries about getting to a garage or anything)

i just realised i completely overlooked your actual question! sorry about that!

a well set up ecu chip or tuning box should not have any negitive effect on the reliability and durability of your engine HOWEVER you will likely find you like the increased power and therfore use it more regularly resulting in increased tyre wear and lower economy! thats down to how you drive tho. if you drive how you do at present you should find economy if anyting increases and tyres wear as per now.
AO Member

Member car:

VX Monaro

I've heard a lot of bad things about tuning boxes, they are horrible, crude things made up of 50p's worth of resistors. You're better off getting a remap - one of the best in the business are Angel Tuning .I have a remap for my 159 2.4jtdm and it's the business. Ask to speak to Nigel.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT