'98 156 1.8 TS alternator replacement.
Since I couldn't find any good description on how to remove the alternator, i figured my own way of doing it, here is how:
NB! First thing to do is to disconnect the battery!
1. Jack up the car and put it on safe stands on both sides, remove right front wheel.
2. Remove the belt by loosen the spring loaded tensioner with a spanner.
3. Disconnect all wiring and hoses around the inlet manifold, remove the trottle body.
4. Remove the fluid reservoir for the power steering and plug the hoses.
5. Remove the 2 bolts, 1 on each side of the manifold using a 13 mm spanner/pipe.
6. From underneath remove the 2 bolts on the mounting bracket, if you are lucky you could
manage to remove them from under the hood, you can easily reach them with your fingers
but it's hard to place a spanner from that position, they are located in the middle of the
underside of the manifold.
7. Remove the clamps from the inlet rubber mounting and lift the manifold out.
8. Disconnect the wires from the alternator, remove the 2 bolts holding the alternator and
loosen the bolt holding the mounting bracket under the manifold and bend it to the side.
9. Lift out the alternator.
Hope this can be helpful for others, if anything is unclear, please ask.