Time for some TLC - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
Time for some TLC

Well ive had a good 12 months with out having to spend a penny on my 156 and now after passing its mot my 54 plate Ti is in need of some love.

Having the famous (soft as butter) Ti alloys i now have 3 buckled wheels, not only that out of 4 tyres (12 months old), 3 of them now resemble the shape of a 50 pence coin, its not that easy to see this with the naked eye or while the car is parked up. But my mechanic assures me as he spins the wheels, the tyre actually moves up and down within the wheel arches ever so slightly.

On top of this i know that the threads on my wheel hub/flanges are screwed from having the wrong bolts in prior to me owning the car, my mechanic has replaced all bolts with Team Dynamics bolts over 12 months ago and says they are secure, but will need sorting, if over tightened now they will be shot.

So first things first... I obviously need new alloys including tyres, a four wheel alignment would be nice also etc... but while im at it id like to sort out the degraded threads on the wheel flanges but have no idea where to start, or how much this will cost. while digging around i have researched, and also now know that all wheel bearings will also need replacing.

Where is the best place to source the parts? I cant find the 'flanges' anywhere (if thats what they are called) Ive changed wheel bearings on past owned cars before but never the wheel hub/flange. im more than happy to have a go at this myself now the weather is getting better.

Again im in a quandry... my other option is to just get rid of the car (130k on the clock) 54plate... cant be worth more than £1500 at most and put the money towards a Breara or 159 maybe.

Anyway.... i have had tonnes of good advice off my fellow Alfa Owner club members in the past and im just running all this by you all before i jump in to anything.

I look forward to your thoughts... and any advice.

Over and out!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

to many

The rear flange is part of the hub, the bearings are cassettes with the hub abs ring all in one...... Not expensive, £50-70 and easy to change. I have just replaced the mine, If you have a hub puller it's a 20min job. There are two types, with different flange depths, take the old one with you.

The front hub flanges are £20 each.

Alfa Romeo 156 Mk1 (>2002) 2.0 16v Wheel Bearings / Hubs
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Here is what I said in another post regarding someone thinking of moving from their 156 to a 159:

Originally Posted by Me
mate, seriously. I've owned a 1.9 JTD M-Jet 150bhp Sport 156 and I now own a 159 1.9 JTDM 150bhp. Stick with your 156 at all costs.

The 159 does at least 10mpg less than my 156 did, is bigger, heavier, more costly on tyres and all the rest. I do more town work now than motorway. Last motorway run I did the 159 returned 44mpg. The 156 would return 56/57mpg. I could ge the 156 to maintain 45+ mpg around town. the 159 is giving around 35mpg aronud town.

A good set of second hand lights will go on easily and they're not that hard to change. you will have to replace the clutch on any car at some point - you'll find yourself changing it sooner on the 159 as it is heavier. You change the clutch on the 156 and you know you're good for another 100k miles.

The fact that it needs new discs and pads shouldn't be a reason to sell it either! haha. You can probably change them for around £40.

The 156 is a more drivers car, it is more nimble and fun to drive, where the 159 doesn't give the same positive lively feel, it is more GT cruiser, but the 159 will have more ultimate grip if you've got the faith to shove it in.

My personal preference though, even owning a lovely white 159 right now, would be if I could I would go back to a 156, they're cheaper, parts are cheaper, running costs are less and the driving experience to my mind was much more fun.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
It's funny reading this thread as I am thinking about changing my 156 jts for a 159 jts. However a lot I am reading points away from this idea, so much so that I am thinking a GT is the way to go. I would keep the jts as it is well sorted but I need the economy of a diesel.
Having said all of that, the 159 is a beautiful looking car, without doubt the best in its sector.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

time , tlc