156 heater motor keeps failing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-11-06 Thread Starter
156 heater motor keeps failing

A bit over a year ago the heater motor / fan failed on my 02 156 1.8TS Sportwagon. No matter what you set the fan to it would not blow any air out of the vents.

I took it to Caledonia in Manchester and they replaced the heater motor.

About 4 months later, the same thing happened again - I went back to Caledonia - they diagnosed the same problem and replaced the motor again - this time under the parts warranty so at least it didn't cost me anything.

Another 4 or so months later exactly the same thing happened - again Caledonia replaced the heater motor under the parts warranty for free.

Believe it or not the heater motor is starting to go yet again.

This is driving me crazy.

Any ideas what to do? I could go back to Caledonia again - it might not cost me any money, but probably two trips (one to check out the problem, one to fit the new heater motor) and I've got a feeling in another few months I will be back where I started.
Sponsored Links
Re: 156 heater motor keeps failing

welcome to AO dude...my advice..take it back and get em to fix it properly..its the least they could do

AO Member

Member car:

hightly likely to be the relay that runs the motor..
dont know where it is..
maybe someone on here would know.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Is this definitely the fan motor? Quite a common issue is for the heater duct actuators to stick so that you can't redirect the way air is blowing. It is a quick and easy fix, bit of lube on the flaps and take off any sharp edgees that are catching.

If you can hear the fan running but not getting air from ducts it could be that.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 14-12-06 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I decided against going back to Caledonia and took the car to Reg Vardy Stockport instead. They did seem more interested in actually finding the underlying problem.

Their conclusion was that, yes the motor had failed again and the probable reason was that the area around the motor (under the dash on the passenger side) was damp, possibly causing the motor to short out. The dampness was caused by some missing grommets allowing water in.

So they replaced the motor again, let the surrounding area dry out and fitted some new grommets.

I'm crossing my fingers that this has really fixed the problem. It does sound plausible as I had occasionally noticed dampness in the passenger footwell area, especially after heavy rain.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , failing , heater , motor