New Owner Power Steering Question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Northamptonshire
New Owner Power Steering Question

Hi all

Ive never worked on a alfa before so just need some advise before i pull it apart.

Power steering.

my issue is that i got the car and the fluid container level looked ok , but on engine running i was getting the pump moaning .
on inspection while running the fluid container is empty but fills when engine stopped.
so I've filled it a little while running and all was great after a few turns of the steering.

But after a day in the drive way of ticking over on and off while servicing the fluid has gone vanished again but no visible leaks anywhere and none on drive way, leaving me puzzled.

the car is 156 2.5 v6 24v veloce

Do these have any odd steering air blocks or a hidden place where steering fluid can leak into (plastic under plate all removed etc)

any advise would be great before i look deeper.

thanks in advance

All spares parts for 156 and 147 being sold that i will not be using (cheap) nothing too small ask what you want , willing to post world wide Phone 07922123242 Ask for Neil and say Mark said to phone .

Download link for Alfa 156's

Last edited by mirlock; 25-03-14 at 18:45.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Principe
Have a look at the pipes where a bracket holds them to the car, they have a tendency to corrode.
AO Member
Refill the system with the engine off. Start the engine and turn the wheels from side to side (full lock each way) several times. Turn the engine off and check the level, refill and repeat if necessary. There is no "bleed screw", so if you are still losing fluid, there must be a leak somewhere - the metal pipes are prone to cracking and are easily damaged.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

owner , power , question , steering