View to an Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

View to an Alfa

Hi all

I have just recently been though a restructure at the place where I work. I have ended up with extra weeks holiday and £4000 extra. This brings me to my questions
i love the shape of the 147 but i also love the sound of the Alfa V6 but cannot afford a GTA

i have seen the 2.5 V6 in the 156 and it looks a gem are there many problems with this engine, what are its characteristics, mpg, Servicing costs. if it works out that i would be better off with the 2.0 then i will go for the 147 2.0

any help will be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: View to an Alfa

Congrats on your "restructuring" :-)

The 156 V6 is a good car - the engine is arguably tougher / more reliable than the 2.0, tho ignore cambelts on either car at your peril...

Like all multi-valve engines, it starts to give of its best over 3000 revs, but is probably torquier at low revs than the 2.0, so a little more flexible - tho oddly enough come with a six speed rather than a 5-speed box....

The V6 sounds glorious when it starts to sing :-)

MPG - depends on your right foot, but typically around 30 for a 2.0, probably 25 for a V6....

Some say the V6 doesn't handle as well, because it nose-heavy...but the engine weight difference is pretty marginal...

Try both and see what you think :-)

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

Let us know how you get on themole and hope you find a nice 156 V6 to drive
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire

I assumed that your 'restructuring' was in the negative sense i.e. not a promotion but a forced change of career!

We are going through a restructuring activity at work too and I may also find myself with some extra money and some extra holiday sometime next year!

Doubt that the missus will let me spend it on an Alfa though!

Good luck with the car hunting. IMO you van't beat the 147 2lt. But then I'm biased
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 28-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

Cheers folk’s very helpful words of advice although it pains me to say it I think I will have to look at the 2.0

Yes our restructure was a forced affair people have been made redundant. But I was one of the lucky ones. My job has changed very little

All I need to do now is save some money and find the correct Alfa for me "needs to be equipped with cow" what ever i choose

the only other problem i have is finding the money to finish my PPL
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

I can understand you feeling disappointed with having to go for the 2.0 over the V6, but the 2.0 really is a peach of an engine. Best sounding four pot i have ever driven. It's a bit thirsty, but is silky smooth and has a very linear power delivery which doesn't really tail off at all until the 7k redline. The 147 as a whole is a great package. As good if not better build than the mkIV golf and loads of extra's as standard on the lusso. For the money it really is a lot of car, just make sure the service history is all there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , view