Sunroofs & water in footwell - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Fix: Sunroofs & water in footwell

After finally getting to the bottom of this, I thought it best write it up in the hope it may help others!

Issue / Symptoms:
My passenger side footwell was filling with water.
Under side of the carpet was reasonably dry.
A-Pillar was wet.
Drain plugs/ pipes were clear, but the sunroof was over flowing when parked on an incline.

Although the drain plugs & pipes were clear they could not handle the amount of water flowing through and hence over flowing at the inside side of the sunroof onto the headlining and down the A-pillar.
Why? too much water was being let in by the sunroof!!!
With a hose spraying water onto the roof, looking at the sunroof from underneath water could be seen to gushing in on the corners of the sunroof!!

Seal round the roof hole with some thin body tape or tape 1-2mm thick. job done!

Last edited by Recardo; 27-11-06 at 07:35.
Sponsored Links
Re: Sunroofs & water in footwell

You don't want to be taping up anything on a sunroof.
All sunrooves "leak", they are not meant to
be watertight. But as you say the water needs to
run out through the drain holes.

If it's not draining fast enough, you've got a blockage.
Probably at the bottom end.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Hi have a look at the rear drains they used to put a small valve in them the repair was to take the small plug out they are located in the rear arch just behind the inner wheel arch cover, they normally just get blocked with crap!!!!
AO Member

I've posted this before. Took me months to sort in my 1999 156.

Where the edge of the roof opening folds down, its a double layer of metal, as the sunroof frame is welded to the folded down lip of roof.

The seal goes in this with the flexing of the car body and water gets sucked up into the roof space by capillary action.

You need to run a ring of clear silicone sealant around the bottom of the folded roof lip with your finger, to re-seal the "double skin" of metal.

That stops the water being sucked up into the roof space and it will then drop off from the lip of the roof into the plastic tray and drain....

The roof lining is actually above the plastic drain tray, so there's no way that water "overflowing" the drain tray could jump up into the roof lining, it would overflow into the car itself onto the front seats...

2004 Silver Audi A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG (eBay!)

OEM Xenons (retro-fitted), PIAA silicone wipers, integrated Parrott CK3000 bluetooth phone kit, O2 XDA2 PDA/phone with TomTom wired GPS

Ex - 1999 156 1.8TS SP1 (1999-2003) + 2002 156 2.0JTS Turismo (2004-2006) (fell off Snake Pass backwards at 60mph...)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

footwell , sunroofs , water