Need help with my stereo? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Need help with my stereo?

Hi everyone,

Have just purchased an alfa 147 selespeed and absolutely love it, When i got the car the the chap said the bose head unit was taken out and sold and replaced with a standard 147 unit instead. I cant tell the difference though and was wondering what affect this has on the sound and whether it was worth getting a proper bose head unit and how i'd identify it? I have the bose Sub and Amp in the back and it sounds as though its working, although very quiet, Im also missing tweeters out of the front doors???? anybody have any suggestions about any aftermarket tweeters that will fit?

thanks for your help, dave
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Brera 1750Tbi Ti

Re: Need help with my stereo?

Hi dave,
The original head unit isnt a bose, but a blaupunkt unit. Because of the bose set-up, the front tweeters were never there. The lower door speakers are the tweeters and bass comes from the sub in the boot.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 20-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

just checked my car, in the boot i have the small sub and amp under a bose cover, the back seats have speakers and tweeters and in the front there is a tweeter in the front door and a speaker, while on the passenger side there is the wiring for a tweeter by the door handle but not one installed but there is a tweeter on the front of the speaker? there are a few head units on ebay saying that they are bose compatible? is this what i need? also if i have the wrong speakers in the passenger door will i be able to get the right ones from an alfa dealer or am i searcdhing breakers and ebay for these aswell?

thanks again, dave
AO Member

I have a 156 with the Bose speaker setup but an after market stereo.

The head unit is a navigation blaupunkt unit (same brand as the factory fit) though the connectors on the back match the plugs on the wiring looms perfectly and it all just works without headache. The factory alfa stereo has seperate tweeters up front so they probably place the wiring in the factory but the Bose upgrade uses a different approach so the wiring isn't needed.

I don't know if you would have grief with another brand of head unit - anyone?

You also might have some bother retaining any controls on your steering wheel with a replacement head unit (if that bothers you). Blaupunkt sell a cable to connect their head units to the controls.

AO Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa...

According to this All front and rear speakers are supposed to be 6.5" co-axials (tweeter and mid-range in one, like the one in your passanger door).
The radio in Bose equipped cars is the "high" spec original unit - there is no special Bose headunit.

If you have seperate speakers in the doors ie mids down low and tweeters in door handles, I'd go to Alfa to try and get confirmation that your car was actually factory-fitted with the Bose.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT