1st Alfa, MCSF fault! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

1st Alfa, MCSF fault!

Very excited to have bought my first GT recently. It's a 2007 GT Blackline Petrol with 72k. Bought privately.

Thoroughly enjoying the experience until the MCSF light came on when driving round a roundabout the other day. Trying to contact JJB in York but they seem to be closed right now. Worried as I don't want to drive although there appears to be no loss of power, smoke or similar.

The car appears to have a reasonable service history but was most recently serviced by a Jaguar dealership (?) and the service indicator says it's due a service.

Any advice please or experience to share, am worried!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
could be a 1000 things this is when u need a code reader they are 15 or so from ebay obd2 is the one you want
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
Forget EOBD readers, you won't have full diag. What you need is multiecuscan (free from multiecuscan.net) and either a modified KKL lead from Rarebear (forum user on here) or a KKL lead with a set of adapters.
These are what I use and they're great:

AO Member
County: Oslo
Congrats with your 1st Alfa Every Alfa is programmed to throw up some error to the new owner just to let him or her know who's the boss. After that first unrest, things will soon be alright again

Now: you need to tell us what engine you have. a 2.0 JTS? a V6?
The MCSF could be a number of things, either ignition related, injection or exhaust/emissions. The one thing I can think of being bad to drive around with, is a misfire caused by e.g. a faulty coil if you have a JTS, as that may ruin your catalyst. But for most, the check engine light is yellow, and not red, for a reason.

But you need a diagnosis before any reasonable suggestions are made - all anyone can do is guess. If you are the least bit interested in car DIY, get the cable from the link above (I have that one, recommended) and start playing around with multiECUscan. Buy one and you'll never look back!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

1st , alfa , fault , mcsf