Alloy Refurb Finished - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Alloy Refurb Finished

Well, it's taken best past of 6 days, skin on my right thumb is practically worn away but quite happy with the results.

Few photos on dropbox

Decided to go the whole hog, inside and out. Took photos of the positions of the weights so I know where they had to go back, rub down, filled a few minor scrapes with Chemical Metal, couple of coats each of primer, paint and laquer, new centres.

I went for Autotek Paint in rattle cans, bit of a balls up as I original bought their Silver Wheel paint but I didn't like the colour, so then went for their Alloy Wheel Paint, which specifically says not to use laquer....but used it anyway. Hope I don't find in a couple of weeks it all slides off, first one's been done for nearly a week and is fine.

Having just spent 400 on tyres I couldn't afford another couple of hundred on a professional job. Still ,for about 30 quids worth of paint I'm happy with the results.

Working tomorrow but off the weekend, give the old girl a good clean. Just need to find a satisfactory way to install the full size spare.

All the best

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.

Last edited by pubsinger; 06-03-14 at 20:02.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Looking good!

I was thinking of doing some work on mine, for the same reasons as you. I've have spent around 1200 in the last few weeks on tyres, cambelt and water pump change and road tax, so can't afford to have the wheels refurbed at the mo.

The wheels had been refurbed just before I got the car about a year ago but I have managed to kerb three. I had new tyres fitted a few weeks ago and that has left some marks as well, so would like to try and find some matching paint to just do the damaged bits of the rims. The wheels are bright silver from Lepsons so will need to try and find a silver to match......

Visit my Flickr pages at

My Alfa History: 1983 Alfasud Sprint Speciale, 1999 145 Cloverleaf (QV), 2001 156 2.0 TS, 2003 156 2.0 JTS
My Current Alfa: 2005 GT 3.2 V6
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Tidy job, pub
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Good work fella.

For anyone considering doing the same job, How to paint your wheels - YouTube. 1 million views, if you can tolerate the aussie strine!
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
dammm that cardboard cut out idea is AWESOME!!!!

PS that look really really good. Job well done!
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

156 2.0 tspark

Nice job! im planning the same as my allows are in bad knick, but id have to do myn one at a time, with the tyres on, so gonna be a tough job!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alloy , finished , refirb , refurb