Today's Selespeed Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-06 Thread Starter
Help Today's Selespeed Failure

So Upon my disbelief of how much I was to be paying for a faulty Selespeed Actuator on my 2003 147, I thought I'd try googling my way out of having to change it somehow and found this site, read up a good chunk of horror stories (alot of really helpful info here I must add), and decided to put up my case.

My 147 last night, out of the blue, started giving out the "Selespeed system failure" warning though the gears changed fine. I drove it down to the dealers garage as I was pretty close (2 miles or so). The oil was way below the min. gauge (I couldnt see any under the cap). The dealer guys seem confident its the actuator that needs replacing. (They only drove it a couple of meters and visually inspected the car from below - the actuator/gearbox showed some leak stains from the bottom) Now these guys give off the impression that they know what they're doing (Main Dealer here in Dubai) but I get the general impression dealers tend to conveniently replace big chunks rather than fix what might be a small fix. Anyway, they gave me a preliminary quote for $3700.

So Im wondering:

a) is 3700USD reasonable for the replacement job? or should I look to get the part elsewhere?

b) any thoughts or ideas on what I might want to check to confirm that my only solution to replace the actuator? maybe its a pump thing? someone in another thread said something about changing a ring seal or something of the sort, good idea/applicable here?

c)a long shot but i might as well, any Dubaians here know of a trust-worthy alfa-familiar repair workshop i might want to resort to? or is this generally a bad idea?

It's a shame these things arent built with more durability in mind. I was otherwise quite happy with my alfa.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Today's Selespeed Failure

First off, when did you last check the Selespeed fluid level?

If the answer is 'never' then your actuator may be fine.

Mine has always lost a little fluid via the breather tube.
As there is only 0.6L of fluid in the whole system, it doesn't take much fluid loss before it becomes a problem.

First step would be to top-up the fluid tank to the 'Max' mark then keep a close eye on it.

I've fitted a small collector bottle to mine to monitor how much fluid is lost via the breather. If the amount you need to top-up is the same as that lost via the breather then there is no problem with the actuator.

pic of collector bottle below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selespeed_Breather_Tank.jpg (43.9 KB, 42 views)

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , selespeed , today