156 engine misfiring? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 engine misfiring?

I have an Alfa 156 1600cc twinspark Lusso, and have owned it for the past 3 years. its a great car and has given me no trouble...until now! The car sort of chugs in the mornings as though it is misfiring. When the engine warms up(after about 30 minutes) it seems to sort itself out. i have just changed all the plugs which I thought would solve the problem but it hasn't!!!!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the fault was. My next hope is to get it put on a diagnostic machine in an attempt to find the problem...PLEASE HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: 156 engine misfiring?

Mass air flow sensor or engine temperature sensor. Pray for the latter if your're on a tight budget.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

I'd go with the engine temp sensor too
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

Dunno if the 1.6 is like the 1.8 in the ignition department but my wife's did that a while back. On taking it to bits I found three things:

1. Whenever the oil gets topped up, if any of it spills into the recess round the oil filler cap, it trickles down the side of No. 1 plug.

2. On the Twinspark, one coil tower goes straight on top of one plug and then there is a long shroud that goes over the other one. The insides of the rubber shrouds need to be PERFECTLY clean or there is a chance they won't seal properly against the porcelain of the plugs and will track.

3. When I pulled the long shrouds off the coils, three of them were just full of powdery green verdigris. The brass connectors inside had just turned to powder.

4. On three of the 4 coils, there were small cracks in the plastic housings - just near the split line where they are moulded. Although I couldn't see any evidence of tracking, I epoxied the cracks up with Araldite.

Hopefully, some of those might help!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , engine , misfiring