Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

427scr

Mooney Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

I have had a major problem with my GT, see the link below.

I don't want to be accused of posting the same thing twice, but I think in this case, it is justified.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...yed-my-gt.html (Sunwin Derby destroyed my GT)

Enclosed is a scan of the definitive fix for the rattling tailgate. The document was found screwed up on the floor of my car when I went to inspect the repair today.

the scan is only 100k, I can email or fax this document at a higher resolution worldwide. If you want it, please PM me.

Best regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt tailgate fix.jpg (98.9 KB, 943 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

PM sent ! I am now dying to see the REAL fix !!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427scr
I have had a major problem with my GT, see the link below.

I don't want to be accused of posting the same thing twice, but I think in this case, it is justified.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...yed-my-gt.html (Sunwin Derby destroyed my GT)

Enclosed is a scan of the definitive fix for the rattling tailgate. The document was found screwed up on the floor of my car when I went to inspect the repair today.

the scan is only 100k, I can email or fax this document at a higher resolution worldwide. If you want it, please PM me.

Best regards.
Ok let me see if i get this.... using 2 small bolts to bolt the panels together is the fix for the infamous tailgate rattle??? if this is the case, your car was almost destroyed, you went through months of headaches, car spend weeks in the garage, for a 30 minute fix!!!!

427scr

Idea Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Correct!!

Not quite 30 minutes, the official Alfa timing for this fix is 4.5 hours (I also have the original time sheet for the job) The time consuming bit is removing and re-fitting the head lining, as it is glued around the B pillars.

Had I seen this instruction myself, I would have fixed the car myself and never gone near the main agent.

I have sent out 8 copies of the instruction already, if you want one, please PM me.

Cheers.

AO Member

words fail me.

pm sent, many thanks for sharing as its doing my head in at this stage - I will try anything!
CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Haven't stripped the car yet but will have a close look at the fix this weekend. Just to make sure I understand this correctly the fix is not on the tailgate itself but the body of the car, right ?

How easy is it to strip the headlininig ?

Alledgely the probem was fixed by Sunwin Derby under warranty at a cost of £165 charged to Alfa UK, so probaly about 4h max of labour.

Are you gonna check that Sunwin has properly implemented the fix once you get your GT back ?

So far they alledgedly spent over £2200 for various fixes
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I have had lotsa attempts at dealers to stop the 'Tailgate rattles', started with graphite grease around the rubber surrounds, worked quite well. But they sought out a 'proper' fix' being new rubber stops, loosening/tightening various bits, then a new type window fitted(without that top rubber). 2 years later rattling nicely, don't think the 'weld/bolt' thing has arisen to date so a possibility. ANYWAY you do get fed up so DIY! I have gone back to checking out myself to eliminate or identify that rattle. Seems its back to the 'plastic/rubber' surrounds, lovely squeak just pushing the tailgate sides, found my Autoglym vinyl & rubber care and wiped the rear hatch rubber surrounds and so far great , just about perfect! Lasts? who knows? its working at the moment.
427scr

Crazed Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHF
Haven't stripped the car yet but will have a close look at the fix this weekend. Just to make sure I understand this correctly the fix is not on the tailgate itself but the body of the car, right ?

How easy is it to strip the headlininig ?

Alledgely the probem was fixed by Sunwin Derby under warranty at a cost of £165 charged to Alfa UK, so probaly about 4h max of labour.

Are you gonna check that Sunwin has properly implemented the fix once you get your GT back ?

So far they alledgedly spent over £2200 for various fixes

Ok, The document that I have posted has come from Alfa Romeo themselves, it looks to me like it has been downloaded from a web site and printed out.

It proves that Alfa know there is a problem with the bodyshells of early GT's and that they have found a fix. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OTHER FIX!

The job is supposed to take 4.5 hours as I have actually seen the job sheet associated with this fix.

The fix is associated with the rear cross member in the roof of the vehicle and has nothing to do with the tailgate or it's hinges, rubbers, bump stops or latches, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

I WOULD NOT ADVOCATE REMOVING THE HEADLINING YOURSELF AS IT IS GLUED TO THE B PILLARS AND I AM SURE THAT YOU WILL DAMAGE IT. YOU ALSO HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THE SIDE AIR BAGS AND ALL THE ELECTRICALS THAT PASS THROUGH THE LINING, SO, SO EASY TO BUGGER IT ALL UP.

I have inspected my car at Sunwins request and test driven it without the headlining in place, the rattle has gone!! I am now waiting for them to reassemble the car and then I can pick it up. Due to the botch job that they originally did, they had to remove the cross member, re-weld it and resprayed the back of the car, as well as fitting the two bolts described in the document.

Looking forward to getting my love thing back.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Blimey 427scr, what an experience, and you appear to be coping with this very well.....good man...
AO Member

Mark, thanks for sending me a hi-res version of the document!

Did you find something like a reference number for the job on the job sheet you refer to?
Such an official identifier (like a campagn no.?) can help me in my communication with my (Dutch) dealer on this matter.

Eric
AO Member

Excellent post... July 2006 GT and just been into the Aberdeen dealer to get this fixed however the problem is now worse than ever. The salesman has the same issue with his car and is also p1ssed off! The car is going back to get this sorted along with the creaking dash in the near future. Your post info may help get to the root cause of the problem sooner rather than later...... To be honest - I don't notice it during a good rip on some B roads however I just want it fixed...

Cheers!
CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Hi Mark,

I am glad you're getting your GT back soon .... I guess fo me it's just the start of another battle as the 2nd year warranty just expired on October 8th this year.... but the good thing is that it was reported earlier !!!

Are we sure that we are all talking about the same ratling ? Some people describes it as squeaking but as far as I am concerned it sounds like cables knocking on a metalsheet.

Is this how you would describe your problem Mark ?

Cheers

Chris
AO Member

Is this a problem with UK GTs only? Mine hasn't got a rattle! ... my GT's imported.
427scr

My car is not a UK car, it originated in Cyprus and entered the country via Gibralter.

427scr

Idea Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHF
Hi Mark,

I am glad you're getting your GT back soon .... I guess fo me it's just the start of another battle as the 2nd year warranty just expired on October 8th this year.... but the good thing is that it was reported earlier !!!

Are we sure that we are all talking about the same ratling ? Some people describes it as squeaking but as far as I am concerned it sounds like cables knocking on a metalsheet.

Is this how you would describe your problem Mark ?

Cheers

Chris
My noise was!!!! a clack, not a squeek, clatter or any other kind of rubbing sound.

It was not any kind of rattle, ie. metal on metal or cable on metal. My car came with loads of those, mostly due to a badly fitted BOSE and a rear bumper that wasn't screwed back properly after having the parking sensors fitted. I fixed all of thos emyself, with cable ties and extra self tappers.

It did it when the body was stressed, that is on very bumpy raods or speed bumps and also when entering a corner quite hard.

It all but dissapears on motorways and billiard smooth A roads.

When you drive the car, the noise appears to come from around the rear interior light and when you sit in the back, it is very loud indeed.

Hope this helps.

427scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmeric
Mark, thanks for sending me a hi-res version of the document!

Did you find something like a reference number for the job on the job sheet you refer to?
Such an official identifier (like a campagn no.?) can help me in my communication with my (Dutch) dealer on this matter.

Eric
Sorry, no ID numbers of any kind on the time sheet.

427scr

Chilling Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyriv
Blimey 427scr, what an experience, and you appear to be coping with this very well.....good man...
What can you do?

If I had bought a toaster with this many faults, it would have gone back months ago.

With a car, you seem to be stuck with the bloody thing, so you have to just sort it out.

I love my Alfa and can't wait to get it back, the Hyundai Getz is now beginning to do my head in a bit.

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I used to get an infuriating rattle from the back of my 147. Took me ages to work out it was the rear seats, and that by not actually clicking them in place completely and just letting them 'rest' in the upright position, it solved the sound. After a week or so of owning my GT, the same noise was happening, so I did the same thing with the rear seats and the rattle went away.

I do have an intermittent rattle remaining in my GT's boot area, though. The sound I get is like you would get if you'd not actually shut it properly. But it only happens on some of the badly-surfaced country roads around here.

Is an August 2006 GT likely to by missing the welds which some other cars are?
427scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood79
Is an August 2006 GT likely to by missing the welds which some other cars are?
In a word...............No.

06 cars "should" be OK, however, when was your car built? and how long has it been sitting around pre-registration?

Mine is an 05, but all of the parts are marked summer 04.

CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Hi Mark,

Had a chance to remove the tailgate rubber this week and took 2 pictures. Is this was you referred as bad welding ?

Cheers

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1039web.JPG (18.3 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1040web.JPG (17.1 KB, 402 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Mine was built in the 1st week in July '06. I know, because I had to wait eight weeks for it from ordering. No evidence of boot rattle at all today. Odd.
427scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHF
Hi Mark,

Had a chance to remove the tailgate rubber this week and took 2 pictures. Is this was you referred as bad welding ?

Cheers

Chris
JESUS H CHRIST!!!!

The bas**rds butchered your car too!!!!!!

I will PM you with my phone number.

This is not right.

CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427scr
JESUS H CHRIST!!!!

The bas**rds butchered your car too!!!!!!

I will PM you with my phone number.

This is not right.
Thanks Mark. How is that welding suppposed to look like ?

Can anyone in this forum take a pic of a tailgate that hasn't been butchered ???
AO Member

County: Fife
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHF
Thanks Mark. How is that welding suppposed to look like ?

Can anyone in this forum take a pic of a tailgate that hasn't been butchered ???
I hope I've got these photos attached right. Taken this afternoon on my 05 plate GT JTD. I've not had the tailgate rattle so far. You'll note there is some white grease in the gap between the two panels, but they are parallel and not bent out of shape.

PICT0683.jpg PICT0684.jpg PICT0685.jpg

I can send hi-res copies to anyone who wants - just send me a PM.
427scr

Crazed Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood79
Mine was built in the 1st week in July '06. I know, because I had to wait eight weeks for it from ordering. No evidence of boot rattle at all today. Odd.
It is possible that your rattle is not the same as the structural one. There are lots of other rubber etc related rattles and they seem to come and go with temperature (see lots of other threads on this web site)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , definitive , fix , rattle , tailgate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page