Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Ok, thanks to 427scr's email last week - I'm booked back in on monday next armed with some ammunition if needs be.
The last time they attempted a fix they re-aligned my bootlid & put some silicone spray on the rubber seals (as a process of elimination) - the rattle existed immediately afterwards, although my bootlid lined up perfectly for the first time!

I've a sneaky suspicion that this rattle is more of a structural issue than some dry/wet rubber seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

Not wanting to steal you thunder or anything like that, but I had reported this problem last year with my GT 3.2 (54 reg) --> http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ot-taking.html

It's been in twice (last was earlier this year) and they mentioned the spot welds and bolts issue and stated it was fixed. Unfortunately, the noise has come back so it's going in again tomorrow. Will arm myself with the pic you have posted.

Ta!
AO Silver Member

County: -

I feel pretty lucky not to have any rattles or creaks from the rear hatch............do have a minor one from the passenger door though......can live with it.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyriv
I feel pretty lucky not to have any rattles or creaks from the rear hatch............do have a minor one from the passenger door though......can live with it.
You might not have to. If it's coming from the window area, spray a small amount of silicone spray along the rubber seal where the window meets the body of the car, when the door is shut - should sort it.
427scr

Hmmm I think you have misunderstood.

[QUOTE=FredBloggs]Not wanting to steal you thunder or anything like that, but QUOTE]

Yep, we all know about the issues with the creaking / rattling tailgate, that is why I joined this forum a year ago, to find out what my problem was.

The issue here is the damage that one approved repairer has done to mine and at least one other GT.

You should read the entire thread and check out the posted link to the saga of my GT.

Cheers.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBloggs
Not wanting to steal you thunder or anything like that, but I had reported this problem last year with my GT 3.2 (54 reg) --> http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ot-taking.html

It's been in twice (last was earlier this year) and they mentioned the spot welds and bolts issue and stated it was fixed. Unfortunately, the noise has come back so it's going in again tomorrow. Will arm myself with the pic you have posted.

Ta!
Fred, I do recall your thread alright, regarding missing spot welds. That along with 427s copy of the instructions for remedial repair, with the use of bolts, leaves me in a very strong position with my garage.
Cheers lads!
AO Member

could be fixed
take off the cover lid ( just pull out )
put the rubber on its place
and put the lid back

it is not a big problem but it is annoying

sorry for my bad english

best regards
427scr

I have just sent the 25th copy of this document out!!!

This includes emails to Italy, and faxes to Sweden and France.

Hope you are all using the information wisely.

Cheers.
427scr.

Now sent to Croatia, Ireland and Germany!

Last edited by 427scr; 16-11-06 at 11:00.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciars
Ok, thanks to 427scr's email last week - I'm booked back in on monday next armed with some ammunition if needs be.
The last time they attempted a fix they re-aligned my bootlid & put some silicone spray on the rubber seals (as a process of elimination) - the rattle existed immediately afterwards, although my bootlid lined up perfectly for the first time!

I've a sneaky suspicion that this rattle is more of a structural issue than some dry/wet rubber seals.
OK, so the car has been in the garage since monday am, and it is still in there
We're having some very bad weather over here at the minute, so its very hard for them to troubleshoot the noise when there is rain smashing against every panel of the car (just my luck).

So far they've replaced an interior panel from the boot area (I will be shown all of this when I go to the garage so I can be more specific to you guys at a later stage). This has eliminated a creaking type noise, but the overall rattle problem still exists.
They have also ruled out the possibility of it being the issue seen by some of you guys (the missing spot welds/bolting panels together) - everything is fine and tight around that region.
Thanks to 427scr for this, I printed a copy of his email and had it attached to the warranty work sheet for them to investigate!

Have to say, I cannot fault my dealership at the minute, they've been calling me every day (tuesday twice!) with updates. So a plus to them (even though this is the service we should all expect & receive when we spend our hard earned on our Alfa's)..

More updates as and when I get them
AO Member

Car is back - rattle/creaking sounds are gone (so far). I did not realise how much of them noises I was putting up with and I don't know how I managed to live with them for so long!

The car literally cruises down the roads, as intended, taking each bump in it's stride without the need to creak and squeak back at me. It has totally changed the fun factor/ the experience and the enjoyment - call it going overboard, but eliminating these rattles etc has made a big impact on my GT ownership.

They investigated every part in the bootlid and adjoining headlining areas.
They found that there was no issue with welds/bolting panels together. The cause of it, so they believe, was in fact the flexing of the car over bumps/dips etc causing the interior panels in the bootlid to creak, rattle and generally annoy the hell out of me.
So, I suppose that my issue is/was slightly different to the sources of some other owners rattles...

No need to mask the noises now, so normal volumes on the BOSE have now resumed and my ears can get back to some normality

Anyone else any updates on their rattle issues?
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

That's really good news ciars!
Glad you can start to appreciate your bella again fully.

You'll start to notice every little sound now!
427scr

Thumbs Up Re: Definitive GT tailgate rattle fix from ALFA

Good innit?

Had my GT back now just over a week.

A joy to drive, quiet, apart from the joyous growl of the engine.

Just how it should be.

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the boot area on my GT in general is a little noisy - only on bumpy roads, mind. I'm thinking of arming myself with silicone spray, seeing as I don't think it's the same problem 427scr was afflicted with, but where should I be spraying the stuff? It was silent as the grave when I bought it, but three-and-a-bit months in it's beginning to rattle like my old 147 did - and that's annoying
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood79
I'm thinking of arming myself with silicone spray,
I wiped it on with a finger, very little, around the surface of the sealing rubber attached to the back door (sometimes known as tailgate etc.), particularly where it touches. It has been OK for several weeks.

I also put a bit on the top edge of the plastic window surround which touches the rear of the roof panel as the rear door is opened.
This touches because the rear door hinges are not correctly designed. If you watch carefully when you open it, you will see it move forwards about 1 cm before the top edge rises.
427scr

Thumbs Up Re: More mechanical fixes worth doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood79
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the boot area on my GT in general is a little noisy - only on bumpy roads, mind. I'm thinking of arming myself with silicone spray, seeing as I don't think it's the same problem 427scr was afflicted with, but where should I be spraying the stuff? It was silent as the grave when I bought it, but three-and-a-bit months in it's beginning to rattle like my old 147 did - and that's annoying
Might be worth popping the trim off the tailgate and the surrounding areas and investing in some cable ties.

Did this on mine, when I was trying to track down the rattle and found lots of loose wires and other bits & bobs. Even some free gifts from the guys on the production line! Several free bolts and self tappers were rattling around in there.

The cables inside the tailgate for the central locking and HRW etc were all loose and splashing about, amazing how much noise they generated.

Strap them all up and lots of the rattles go away. Same thing applies to the BOSE installation if you have one, the amp is behind the bass speaker and the cables will just be stuffed in there. The bass speaker itself can be loose and rattling, mine was missing a screw at the top, allowing it to flop about all over the place. All the wires on the outside of the car, that feed the lights etc can also contact the body and rattle. The wires to my rear speakers were a major rattle problem, these are a ***** to get at, you have to take the bloody seats out!

I know that you should not have to do this on a new car, but try getting any main agent to do anything that is not in the book and they will laugh at you. It takes an afternoon to do, but well worth it. With the structural fix, my car is now as quiet as a grave.

Cheers.

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Mines been in once to fix this problem but weeks later it's worse than ever

Could you send me the document please 427scr.

Does the process 100% sort the problem out ?

TIA,
Mike.
427scr

[QUOTE=mikeyw]

Does the process 100% sort the problem out ?

QUOTE]

Sorted mine!

I need your email address to send the document. Please PM me and I will send it straight back to you.

Cheers.

AO Silver Member

427 you have PM
AO Silver Member

Guys,

It wouldappear 427 is not around at the moment - could someone else please mail me the doc - 'mjwhorley@hotmail.com'

Car going in on Thurs to get this fix applied - assuming I get the doc by then !!

TIA,
Mike.
427scr

TUT just a bit miffed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw
Guys,

It wouldappear 427 is not around at the moment - could someone else please mail me the doc - 'mjwhorley@hotmail.com'

Car going in on Thurs to get this fix applied - assuming I get the doc by then !!

TIA,
Mike.
Hold on a god damn minute..............

I am providing this document out of the kindness of my heart and with the hope that I can be of help to like minded Alfa drivers.

I have been away for a litte while and I am not sad enough to log on to this web site on my holiday.

if you are going to come this attitude with me, I will withdraw my offer of help from all Alfa drivers worldwide! And it will be your fault mate!!

Chill out! You can't DEMAND action from forums like this. I have a business to run and a life to lead. My car is not my life.

AO Silver Member

Chill out yourself mate - I was simply asking if someone could send me the document, no criticism of your good self.

The reason I needed it sooner rather that later is that the car is booked in on Thursday and I said I should be able to produce it for the dealer.
AO Silver Member

I think you should re-read my post 427. What part has caused you offence ?

I simply said I thought you were not around (no big deal as you said you were doing other things) and asked if someone else could send it instead. The part about getting the doc by then was not aimed at you, it was for other people to show a timescale

I think you've overreacted a bit here mate - there was never any intential criticism of yourself.
AO Silver Member

Well the car has been in and just been returned. The extra bleep was caused by a faulty sensor on the boot so if you get that guys & girls you know what causes it.

They claim they've done what was on the document as well so i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks to 427 for getting the doc.
AO Member

Happy days Mikeyw - does it feel much more solid and quiet now?
AO Silver Member

Well if you want my hoest opinion - NO !

Still bloody ratles but mainly at low speeds.....I give up...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , definitive , fix , rattle , tailgate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page