Thought I just should share how I mended the fallen off Alfa 156 wiper linkage (drivers side).
With great inspiration from Prof Peach in this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...t-working.html
, my astonishing brilliant tech-skills came up with this solution:
Since I didn't have any meccanno parts (as suggested) to mend it with, I simply used steel wire.
Ive attached some pictures, and it seems to be even more secured than the fragile plastic caps. I don't think i will even order the original piece.
While I was in there, I also oiled and greased up all the ball joints. The wipers have never been better!
Here is the step-by-step list (thanks to Prof Peach!):
1. Open bonet, and remove plastic caps on wiper arms
2. Undo wiper arm nuts (13mm socket). Its a washer under there as well. Don't drop it!
3. Spray the thread sticking through with WD-40 or similar. Wait for at least 15 mins. Then wiggle like crazy (not in a wiping motion). It comes off! The waiting does wonders.
3. Pull off the rubber trim along the front of the scuttle panel (the plastic at the bottom of the windscreen).
4. Remove screws at the bottom of the scuttle panel. Its 3 torx screws, 2 phillips screws and 2 small screw caps on the outer edges of the plastic. The screws behind will be rusted but dont panic.... you can still twist the plastic out of the way with these in.
5. Pop off both parts of the scuttle panel. The scuttle panel is held in place by 6 or 7 plastic grips along the rear, just below the bottom of the screen.
6. Lift the rubber sleeve from the wiper motor. Unplug the large connector by pulling to the left, and pressing the locking mechanism on the under side.
7. Then you need to undo the 3 allen bolts that hold the motor and linkages. They are usually very rusty, but some WD-40, and a not-worn allen key seems to work great.
8. Take out the wiper-system. I took it to a table, to easy work on it.
9. Turn it upside-down. Keep the linkage that is loose off the joint.
10. Use approx 30 cm of steel wire and make a bend at the middle. See picture.
11. Bend it around the middle of the two joints. Twist one time.
12. Push the ends of the wire through the small hole at the end of the linkage.
13. Run it through, and tighten so the linkage and the balljoint is connected.
14. Put the ends of the steel wire down, wrapping the balljoints around the middle of the two joints. Make sure its tight, so it doesn't interfere with the other linkage. There should be some "play" in both of them.
15. Tighten the steel wire by twisting the ends together at the top of the joint. I put the ends neatly inside the linkage and secure it by wrapping some tape around. See more pictures.
16. Make sure to test them before putting everything back together. It should work like a charm now.
Yep. Thats it. 1,5 hours I would bet. The longterm effects the steel wire have on the plastic on the other wiper linkage is still unknown, Ill report i if something happens. So far, so good.
Hope this will help somebody some day!