147 & Fiat Stilo Jtd - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-02-14 Thread Starter
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Passat b6

Thumbs Up 147 & Fiat Stilo Jtd

We drove a 3 door Stilo JTD last weekend, looking to replace my daughter's Seicento, she's working out of town now and the steep hills and country roads are hard work for the little Sei's 1.1 engine!

The stilo was a nice drive, however it's no longer available. However, recently noticed the Alfa 147...! I have read that they share the same floor pan with the Stilo and possibly mechanicals?? What about driving position - is it similar?

My daughter likes the later facelifted 147s over the earlier ones, however these are a little out of her price range, what are your thoughts on a high miler, as long as its got comprehensive service history etc??

Is there a buyer's guide available? Are there any obvious things to look out for when test driving a car??

The simplest of suggestions, useful tips, things to look out for etc would be greatly appreciated.

The Stilo we drove had knocks from underneath everytime we went over a speed bump, plus it hadn't had the cambelt done...

I'm told that the original Stilo cambelt intervals were every 7yrs of 50,000miles initially however this was revised to every three years or every 36,000miles, is this also the case with the Alfa 109JTD?

Hope for good response.

Best regards

Last edited by JonAlfa44; 23-02-14 at 15:34. Reason: mistake
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Basically the cars are similar mechanically - not sure about the suspension. 147 are avaialble in 8v or 16v guise - 8v are perfectly capable, and a bit cheaper (tho rarer). 147s are prone to front suspension knocks, particularly if non original parts have been used, but they are easy enough to sort.

Most people will reckon on changing the belt every 50K miles (with the waterpump as well on the 16v models, as its usually the pump that causes belt failure on these) 36K is the petrol engine change interval.

Of course unless she is doing large mileages, as you can pick up petril 147s well under 1K now, whereas JTDs tend to fetch a bit more, it could be worth looking at petrols as well.....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire
Having owned both these cars I can say the Stilo is more basic on a mechanical and dynamic level. The knocking you heard is an inherent problem on the Stilo, it's the front suspension but easily fixed with upgraded bushes, not expensive to do.

The 147 has better rear suspension and drives better than the Stilo, it's a little more complex but still a very good car.

The 1.9JTD engine is strong, reliable and reasonably effecient, as long as it's been regularly serviced and the cam belt and water pump changed at the correct intervals it will be pretty much bullet proof.

Both cars do what they're supposed to, the Stilo has lower running costs and is probably cheaper to buy in the first place. There are some decent low mileage Stilos around if you search extensively and are willing to travel a bit.

You didn't state your budget but here are a few:

Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Dynamic 3dr

Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Dynamic 3dr

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD Lusso 3dr

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD Lusso 3dr

I always source my cars privately too as you don't have to pay garage mark ups, it's always best to try this type of car from enthusiasts as you'll know it's been loved.............
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

I too have had both the Stilo (115 8v JTD Dynamic 3 door) and a 147 (current, 5 door 150 16v JTD) and I agree, the Stilo is a much more basic design compared to the 147 in terms of suspension. That said, in some ways the Stilo is the better car.
Certainly the Stilo is roomier than the 147 but the Alfa is a better drive in standard form, the Stilo needs 'breathing on' (especially suspension) to get the best from the chassis, IMHO it was very under-developed by Fiat before going to market which was a shame.
But the Stilo is generally much cheaper to insure, run and fix in all sensible guises compared to the 147.

A well cared for 147 or Stilo with everything done should be a good buy, the choice will come down to personal preference at the end of the day. But which would your daughter rather drive?
A Fiat.... or an Alfa Romeo? I know what I chose

AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire
Mmm, personal choice really, my Stilo, Bravo and 147...........

Last edited by twincamms; 06-06-14 at 11:11.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , fiat , jtd , stilo