Engine rattle and squeek in the gearbox - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 22-10-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Engine rattle and squeek in the gearbox

Hi Everyone

I picked up my second hand 1.8TS on Friday (02 Reg, 40K).

I have 2 questions.

When I start the engine from cold the engine sounds a bit rattley (like a diesel) for a couple of seconds and then goes back to sounding smooth. Is this normal? Or could it be a problem with the Oil Pump?

Also, in low revs in 1st or 2nd gear there is squeek coming from the gearbox? Is this normal?

Oh and one final one, I am not sure if this is becuase I have been driving a 1.8T A6 with 20-30 extra BHP, but I noticed that the Alfa as an alergy to steep hills in 4th and 5th gear, unless I am doing over 60Mph then 4th can just about hold it? Is this underpower normal as well?

Apart from that the car is FANTASTIC.

Look forward to your responses.

Sponsored Links
Re: Engine rattle and squeek in the gearbox

The rattling noise will be an on the way out cam variator. However, if the noise goes away promptly it isn't a big issue. If the noise continues for a fair bit longer, or returns when the oil is hot it needs to be replaced. This is about £300 all in as it needs a new cam belt and tensioners also to replace the variator.

As to hills, the 1.8T VAG engines are turbocharged and have significantly higher torque output than Alfas. You will find that power on Alfa TS engines only really picks up after 3000 rpm, so the hill will be little trouble at engine speeds over 3000 rpm, but poor below.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , gearbox , rattle , squeek