156 door locks unlocking/locking problem w/no-start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oslo
Help 156 door locks unlocking/locking problem w/no-start

Problem occurred this morning as reported by my GF who drives the car..temperature was below 0C overnight (2004 156 without alarm):

Try to unlock with keyfob.
Doors unlock, but lock themselves again right after
Drivers door seems to be frozen (not sure if it unlocked or not)
If you manage to open the passenger door while unlocked, it 'goes crazy' trying to lock the car again (with one door open).
If you manage to get inside, the car won't start because it think it's locked.

My girlfriend somehow managed to trick the car to stay unlocked long enough to start the car. It now drives, but is still in a 'locked state' and the driver's door does not open from the inside.

Any immediate tips? Highly appreciated...

It appears that some sensor in either front door has either failed, stuck or frozen. How to mend? The sunlight might defrost the car during the day...maybe...but something is wrong.

Both front locks/door handle knobs have been problematic at temperatures below zero.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
I don't think being "locked" would prevent the car from being started.
What will be happening though is that the Selespeed pump won't be priming because the driver's door hasn't been opened. So you'll need to leave the key in "Mar" until the pump stops, you should then be able to select Neutral and start the engine.

Re the locking issue, does it still have the std plastic pop-up lock buttons, or have they been changed for the Aluminium ones?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oslo
Hi David,

thanks for your reply. As I said, it was reported this way by my girlfriend. Maybe she did not wait long enough for the pump to stop priming. She usually isn't impatient, but it could be a plausible explanation.

She eventually got the car running by holding the inside door handle in the open position. Maybe the time used to fiddle caused the pressure to come up, and then this being unrelated

The outside door handle button is stuck, and may have been overnight, possibly causing the mechanism inside the door to have frozen in the open position. Is anything of this mechanism serviceable if I take the door card off? Can it be greased up (is there access?)?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , door , locks , problem , unlocking or locking , w or nostart