Selespeed check list-
1. First of all check the petrol level in the tank, the fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate, and will show a 1/4 full when it's empty, if the engine has no fuel and won't start you get a Selespeed warning and no gear selection. To check if there's fuel to the injector rail, turn the ignition on for a few seconds then turn it off, go to the engine remove the silver plastic cover and you will see a metal tube running across the engine that feeds the injectors. On the righthand end of this tube is a plastic cap unscrew it and you'll see a valve like on your tyres, carefully press the valve and if fuel comes out under pressure you'll know that there is fuel in the tank and also the electric fuel pump is operating. (No cost)
2. Check battery voltage. (No cost)
3. Check oil level. (No cost)
4. Listen for pump operating when drivers door opened, but even if the pump is operating I found due to a worn relay it was intermittent and the car would either stick in a gear or not select gears - replaced the relay and my problem was solved. (minimal cost)
5. Clean electrical connectors with approved spray cleaner and compressed air. (Minor cost)
6. Check brake lamp switch,drivers door switch and relays. (No cost unless replacement needed)
7. Replace the 3 position sensors (about 75% of the problems) and recalibrate with Alfadiag. (http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/RMB-Perfo...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
(They tell the ECU whereabouts in the gear selection sequence it is. They are simple potentiometers and wear out or get bad contacts. Incorrect signal - ECU has dementia.
8. Then spend the big money.